Using a Lumia 640 without Cellular Service

kpluck

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Greetings...I was thinking about picking up a Lumia 640 and using it without any cellular service, wifi (when available) only. My main use would be for my morning walks/hikes to have an MP3 player and camera with me.

For various reasons I don't want to bring my main phone with me for this use and I have been wanting to try Windows phone for some time and this would seem like a good opportunity to do that.

Any flaws in this plan? Anyone else using a 640 in this fashion?

-kpluck

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't think there's anything wrong with the way you'll be using it.

I'm also about to purchase the Lumia 640 in the next 15 days.
Lumia 640 is one of the best devices for new Windows phone users.

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
That would be a good choice. Sensor core helps you in knowing your walk statistics. The camera will be helpful to take a decent pictures on the way if you want to.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Been using the 640 with no sim going thru a hot spot with no problems at all. Currently writing this post doing it.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Been there, done that. Currently using my 640 as my daily driver now, though, and have a 635 using it the way you are talking about. Bought it for $30 and couldn't pass up the deal. I'd rather have the 640s camera with me, but I have good uses for both devices.

For $59, it's a great phone and can't be beat at that price.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Did this exact same thing. Ordered it as my first device, but I already bought an adapter to swap out my SIM with my iPhone 6S Plus for when I feel like using it whenever I like. I have a feeling I'll be wanting to sell my iPhone for the 950 XL before long.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Planning on doing exactly the same thing OP, but have been a happy WP user for 3 years, strongly recommend it. I'm not a BlackFriday shopper, but it was posted thay BestBuy will offer the 640 for $30 then. I'm hoping it'll be available online for that price too, or for next day store pickup.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Can't go wrong, I also picked up a StraightTalk sim and using it to, but still using on WiFi majority of time.

kpluck

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I did go ahead and pick up a 640. In addition to using it as an iPod replacement I have been playing around with it in general. I have to say I am rather impressed. I really like the UI and it seems very responsive for an inexpensive phone.

-kpluck

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I did go ahead and pick up a 640. In addition to using it as an iPod replacement I have been playing around with it in general. I have to say I am rather impressed. I really like the UI and it seems very responsive for an inexpensive phone.

-kpluck

You should try playing with the camera, believe me, you're going to be impressed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium