Lumia 640 Black Friday price - $29.99

uw

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Just saw the Black Friday ad for Best Buy. $29.99 for Lumia 640 (Att Go model). That's cheaper than last year's black friday deal for 635 ($39). Looks like I'll pick up couple more..:)

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if WalMart will match this BB Doorbuster price? If so, I'll be picking one up from them as their optional Protection Plan is a lot less expensive and covers longer than BB.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Just curious here; you'd buy a protection plan for a device that cost $29.99?

It's not a matter of the cost of the device, but what it would cost for a reasonable replacement. Something that likely won't be available during the extended period. I never buy it, but I carried the same phone for 8 years with no issues. I advise my father-in-law to get them, because he breaks a phone every 3 months. Cheaper than buying the replacement for him, because he WILL need it. ;)

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
If a $30 savings is worth the chance of not getting it (while supplies last) during the madness then good luck!

So true. This is an advertised, "while supplies last" type of product that they will be sure to have a very limited supply of on that day. They are selling it below cost to attract people into the store. Pretty fair amount below cost, too.

I would LOVE to camp out and buy a couple of them when the store opened, but it isn't quite worth the travel and camping out I'd have to do to get it. I'd spend nearly $40 on gas just to get there and back home, and that doesn't make it a good deal at all for me. If you live near one, try to get it. It's a great deal. I'll be checking Amazon that day just in case. ;)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's not a matter of the cost of the device, but what it would cost for a reasonable replacement. Something that likely won't be available during the extended period. I never buy it, but I carried the same phone for 8 years with no issues. I advise my father-in-law to get them, because he breaks a phone every 3 months. Cheaper than buying the replacement for him, because he WILL need it. ;)
Makes sense to me.

I have a plan on my 640, but sometimes I regret it. I have the T-Mo variant though, which was basically 100. Cancelling the plan from Walmart requires mailing a letter to "make a request" to cancel. I can't be bothered to do that, so it stays.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll be checking Amazon that day just in case. ;)

Another good time to check for online deals is Cyber Monday. Last year Walmart had a Cyber Monday deal for a Moto E for $9.99 (normally $99.99). The problem was that they listed it at something like 2 AM. By the time I found it out the next morning they were gone. I printed out the web page listing, took it in to my local Walmart, and they matched it. They even let me buy 2 of them!

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site

Wouldn't purchasing 3-4 phones be cheaper than a coverage plan?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't purchasing 3-4 phones be cheaper than a coverage plan?

We bought a phone for $38 once at Walmart. It cost $5 for that phone to have a 2 year replacement coverage, where if he ran over it with a truck, as long as he brought in the pieces, he gets a new one free without a deductible or anything to pay. No, buying 3 to 4 phones isn't cheaper.

• Purchase phone before Black Friday
  • Return Phone on Black Friday
  • Have Rep price match
  • Winning?

That's just wrong. I wonder if it will work? Hmm...

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Just curious here; you'd buy a protection plan for a device that cost $29.99?

Yeah, I guess paying $9 for the plan would only net a return of $20.99 should the phone get trashed in the two year coverage period and no longer be available as a replacement. If I was paying the regular price of $60 it would make a bit more sense...

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I guess paying $9 for the plan would only net a return of $20.99 should the phone get trashed in the two year coverage period and no longer be available as a replacement. If I was paying the regular price of $60 it would make a bit more sense...

You've got to consider what the phone would cost when you need to replace it. That's what you're not thinking about here. If in 4 months, you trashed the phone, it won't be $29.99 any longer. It's going to be $60 again. You just netted $50, not $20.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
We bought a phone for $38 once at Walmart. It cost $5 for that phone to have a 2 year replacement coverage, where if he ran over it with a truck, as long as he brought in the pieces, he gets a new one free without a deductible or anything to pay. No, buying 3 to 4 phones isn't cheaper.

That's just wrong. I wonder if it will work? Hmm...

That is pretty cheap. What service are you using?
It works often, which is why stock is always so limited towards BF sale. YMMV of course

Hoping this year I can actually get a unit. Was not able to get on the $10 Lumia 635 because of all the flippers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99