AT&T Lumia 640 offer. Help needed.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm gonna buy the Lumia 640 from the following link. But there are a few things I want to be sure of before I buy it.
Buy AT&T - Microsoft Lumia 640 (Black) - No Contract - Microsoft Store)
1) Does "no contract" means unlocked? Meaning will I be able to use it on any carrier? Because I'll be using it outside the US.
2) does the link shows that its matte black or glossy black?
3) As the picture of the back of the phone shows that there's the at&t logo on it which I don't want. Will it really be there when I'll get it?
Please help.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm gonna buy the Lumia 640 from the following link. But there are a few things I want to be sure of before I buy it.
Buy AT&T - Microsoft Lumia 640 (Black) - No Contract - Microsoft Store)
1) Does "no contract" means unlocked? Meaning will I be able to use it on any carrier? Because I'll be using it outside the US.
2) does the link shows that its matte black or glossy black?
3) As the picture of the back of the phone shows that there's the at&t logo on it which I don't want. Will it really be there when I'll get it?
Please help.

1 No. You would have go to the website to request an unlock code.
2 Matte black is the only OEM black available for the 640.
3 Yes. The only way to remove it is to either be creative or you can order a black flip cover with just the Microsoft logo.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
To clarify what libra89 has stated on answer to #1, that's the AT&T website you'll need to visit to get the unlock.

For full instructions on getting the phone unlocked for free, usually within 24 hours, see here.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
To clarify what libra89 has stated on answer to #1, that's the AT&T website you'll need to visit to get the unlock.

For full instructions on getting the phone unlocked for free, usually within 24 hours, see here.

1 No. You would have go to the website to request an unlock code.
2 Matte black is the only OEM black available for the 640.
3 Yes. The only way to remove it is to either be creative or you can order a black flip cover with just the Microsoft logo.

Thank you, guys. The problem might not be solved yet but I think I've found a way. 😊

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
The unlock code comes pretty quickly....just make sure to check the box that says you're not a current AT&T customer, and DO NOT put the GoPhone SIM in. If you run phones naked, then yeah, sorry, but it'll have the AT&T logo. I put a case on my wife's 640 (one of those soft gel cases made by Head Case, got it on Ebay for $8) that has a nice tropical beach on it. She gets her tropical beach look, and there's no AT&T logo!

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I did buy the AT&T variant a couple of weeks ago, Sent in the request to have it unlocked and received the code from AT&T with in 3 hours. now using the 640 however I wish. Which is right now under StraightTalk. Yes, do have Win 10 Mobile loaded up.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I did buy the AT&T variant a couple of weeks ago, Sent in the request to have it unlocked and received the code from AT&T with in 3 hours. now using the 640 however I wish. Which is right now under StraightTalk. Yes, do have Win 10 Mobile loaded up.

Thank you for adding to my confidence :)

geekfiredog

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I bought the AT&T Lumia 640 about a month back, submited request for unlock code through AT&T on Saturday and received the unlock code on the following Monday. Successfully unlocked the phone and have upgraded to Windows 10 through Windows Insider program.

I'm currently using it in one of the country in South East Asia, no issue in using the phone in "4G" mode - however I'm not sure if it is really "LTE" as the service providers over here use total different band (Bands 3 & 7) that AT&T (Bands 2, 4, 5, 17).

Is there a way to check from the phone which band is being used? Does the unlock code from AT&T also unlock other bands to be used in other countries with different bands as well?

P/S : just noticed the phone is switching between "LTE" and "4G" when I travel from 1 place to another, so the unlocked AT&T Lumia 640 is actually getting LTE and 4G signals from a country with Band 3 & 7.

Last edited:

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I bought the AT&T Lumia 640 about a month back, submited request for unlock code through AT&T on Saturday and received the unlock code on the following Monday. Successfully unlocked the phone and have upgraded to Windows 10 through Windows Insider program.

I'm currently using it in one of the country in South East Asia, no issue in using the phone in "4G" mode - however I'm not sure if it is really "LTE" as the service providers over here use total different band (Bands 3 & 7) that AT&T (Bands 2, 4, 5, 17).

Is there a way to check from the phone which band is being used? Does the unlock code from AT&T also unlock other bands to be used in other countries with different bands as well?

Don't know how to check the band the phone is currently using, but unlocking the phone "should" also unlock the other bands. Maybe to know if the bands are unlocked you can call the Microsoft Lumia helpline in your country. I did with some other issue and they helped me out.

dee w

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Don't mean to highjack thread. I have a question? I did the whole at&t code request online. The request was successful but where is the code. Is the request number the code. Do I need a brand new tmobile SIM card to complete what I am missing? The 1800 number wasn't any help either.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They send a confirmation of request email... maybe that is what you got?

The actual code comes in a second email that looks like this:

Capture02.png

Instead of putting in a "foreign" (non ATT) SIMyou can get an unlock screen by opening dialer and typing ##7820# > It will take you right to the screen without even pressing send.

Note to all. That unlock code is no good for any other device besides the Lumia 2520 I unlocked with it. I do not have unlock codes for your device so DO NOT ask me.

dee w

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I did that got the second email but there was no code in. Does it matter that I bought phone from best buy. It's a go phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism