Scratched camera lens on Lumia 640

Brad Wilson

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I was dumb and put my keys in the same pocket as the phone and now I've got a scratch mark on the rear lens which effects photos obviously. I've looked online to no avail for a replacement camera lens. Any idea on how to proceed? I know Best Buy for Black Friday but I'd like to avoid a new unit. Thanks.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
A new unit may be the least expensive option, unfortunately.

I was able to locate a "refurbished" replacement rear camera for the Lumia 640, and it was $29.30. If you can get the Black Friday price at $29.99, I'd recommend that, because disassembling the phone to replace the camera leaves a possibility of causing further damage if you're not experienced in such work.

Sorry I didn't have better news. I was unable to locate just the replacement glass, as the entire camera comes as a single unit with the glass attached.

Brad Wilson

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate the advice. It's just a pain to have to reload everything especially over mobile data

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate the advice. It's just a pain to have to reload everything especially over mobile data

You can do a backup of everything (messages, app data, etc), and it will be an easy transfer to the new Lumia. It's annoying, but trust me, it will feel like you never changed phones.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure you've scratched your camera lens. I think you may have scratched the lens on the midframe, which is both cheaper and easier to replace than the camera. See this ebay item number: 331699036856

You may be able to find it cheaper, but that was the first one that came up when I searched.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I think you may have scratched the lens on the midframe, which is both cheaper and easier to replace than the camera. See this ebay item number: 331699036856

Interesting. I wasn't aware there was essentially a cover glass for the camera mounted to the mid-frame. I stand corrected.

Still may be a challenge to install, however. Easier than the camera, but still not easy.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I just took the back off of mine, and it looks like it's around 6-8 T4 screws to remove. You'd have to take it off to get to the camera anyways, so you're saving one or two steps.

I don't know if any of these Lumias have the actual camera lens exposed - I think they all have a clear shield somewhere, but I may be wrong on that.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes