AT&T Lumia 640 on Cricket?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
AT&T Lumia 640 on Cricket

So I've been thinking about buying a Lumia 640 as a gift for someone, they're currently on Cricket Wireless. I saw that Microsoft and Best Buy both had a deal on the Lumia 640. However, these are AT&T branded Lumia 640's. I know Cricket is owned by AT&T and uses AT&T towers, but is this phone still carrier locked to AT&T? Or will it work on Cricket if we put a Cricket SIM inside the phone?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The phone is locked to at&t but you can use it on cricket without unlocking because cricket is owned by at&t. You just can't do it the other way around

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: AT&T Lumia 640 on Cricket

You can, though visual voicemail will likely not work. There is hope that it'll work once Windows 10 is released. I know VMM doesn't work on my AT&T 830 used on cricket.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Ok thanks! One more question though, does it make any difference if this 640 is the AT&T GoPhone version, rather than the standard carrier version?

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

I did this last month. The Lumia 640 (AT&T Go Phone) works fine on Cricket. You just have to get a Cricket sim card, which you can do on their website, and you will be good to go.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

AT&T and unlocked GSM phones work on Cricket, which uses AT&T's network underneath. It's less about carrier-locked and more network-locked. For LTE, the device must support AT&T's LTE bands, so AT&T-branded phones are fine, but look closely at a non-AT&T phone if LTE is important to you. The AT&T 640 GoPhone works great on Cricket, but there is no visual voicemail (at least with WP8.1), as it's running AT&T's firmware, not Cricket's. I average a voicemail every few weeks, so this doesn't bother me. If it's really important to you, consider the official Cricket 640, or see if someone can confirm VVM on an AT&T 640 with Windows 10.

Edit: I'm on Cricket, and my 920 is still AT&T locked, but my wife's 640 GoPhone is unlocked (although it was locked for the first few days until the unlock code came through).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

VMM doesn't work on my AT&T 830 used on cricket.

I'm on Cricket with a Factory Unlocked 1520.3 and a BLU Win HD LTE.

For VVM sign up for YouMail on the web in your PC Browser and then get the ISeeVM App on your phone.

It is the VVM I've used at Cricket and Straight Talk. Works across SIMs, Phones, Carriers and can follow your ported number or transfer to a new one. I now much prefer it and probably wouldn't use carrier VVM even if I had it available.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I'm on Cricket with a Factory Unlocked 1520.3 and a BLU Win HD LTE.

For VVM sign up for YouMail on the web in your PC Browser and then get the ISeeVM App on your phone.

It is the VVM I've used at Cricket and Straight Talk. Works across SIMs, Phones, Carriers and can follow your ported number or transfer to a new one. I now much prefer it and probably wouldn't use carrier VVM even if I had it available.

Thanks for the heads up, though much like @beachedwhale42, I rarely get voicemails. One nice thing about Windows Phone is that when VMM works, it's part of the OS, and each carrier doesn't have to have a junky app that stinks for it.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Excellent! Neither me nor the person I'm getting the 640 for use visual voicemail to begin with so it's a non-issue. Thanks for the help everyone. If anyone is interested in getting a 640, Best Buy is offering them for $29.99 on black Friday (AT&T GoPhone).

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

I just did this (AT&T branded & locked Lumia 640 on Cricket Wireless). I'm using Windows 10 Mobile (10586 b107). It works great, one day in, that is.. Biggest disappointment is that the Cricket Wireless app seems to be a POS and I can't even accept the app's EULA to get in, because the navigation bar hides the accept button. (Yes, I've tried dragging up to hide it - no dice).

And Cricket's design team decided to disable any functionality on the Cricket account page when viewed from a mobile device. Soooo...my only recourse is to get onto a computer to view something as simple as how much data I've used... Anyone got a good workaround for this?

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: AT&T Lumia 640 on Cricket?

FYI
My wife and I use an unlocked Gophone 640 on Consumer Cellular. They did help up us with APN settings that allow for cellular data....My daughter uses the unlocked Gophone 640 that I gave her on Straight Talk. It took some doing to get it to work as Straight Talk's help couldn't even send the correct Sim until the 3rd try. We were finally able to nail down the APN settings with help with this GREAT board!!
The point is that the GoPhone works well on any carrier that uses AT&T as their backbone.....I'm not even sure if it needs to be unlocked....

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T Lumia 640 on Cricket?

FYI
My wife and I use an unlocked Gophone 640 on Consumer Cellular. They did help up us with APN settings that allow for cellular data....My daughter uses the unlocked Gophone 640 that I gave her on Straight Talk. It took some doing to get it to work as Straight Talk's help couldn't even send the correct Sim until the 3rd try. We were finally able to nail down the APN settings with help with this GREAT board!!
The point is that the GoPhone works well on any carrier that uses AT&T as their backbone.....I'm not even sure if it needs to be unlocked....

Once unlocked.... GoPhone works well on any carrier...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo