Got the $40 640, what do I need to know as a new user?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Post a list of apps you use on your current device and we can help you locate good equivalent ones in the WP ecosystem. Get a good case from Fosmon and screen protector from eBay. Links are provided below.

Frosted Matte TPU Gel Soft Protective Case Cover Skin for Microsoft Lumia 640 | eBay

Ultra Thin Tempered Glass Screen Protector Guard for Microsoft Lumia 640 | eBay

DEFINATELY a tempered glass protector. Best ?1.50 I ever spent!! Have a small collection in the office now. They are lifesavers an easy to apply!!

Get it running W10M!! You would not believe the difference in UI. It looks great and can make tiles transparent rather than thick black lines in WP8.1. The menu system is easier to get around if you use W10 already. It's a very good mid range device that deserves better than some reviewers say.

Yes, it isn't a super duper HD screen, the camera isn't a billion megapixels, yes it's a windows phone and not as sexy as 'other brands', BUT...... At $30 or ?40 it's a steal, and once used to it and the windows ecosystem, you will probably ( hopefully????) stick around.

Hope you get on alright with it

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
You are correct the iPhone plus has a better quality screen but that's ALL I miss. I hated the fact that I couldn't easily slide my phone in my pocket when I had that iPhone. I hate carrying my pocket book around just to carry my phone in it. I am loving the screen on my 640. Now if I could just get a Chrome browser I would be set. 😉

Thanks for the Welcome Gordon! 😊

Welcome Mary Jane.

Chrome, at present, isn't a goer. BUT, I you flash 10586 preview, you can set google as your search engine in edge.

I found that in edge mobile I couldn't get google to stick, so I went from mobile to desktop version of edge, type in google.com and when edge gets there you go in to edge settings, advanced setting and change search engine to google! Yay.

Be aware though that at present 10586 is still in preview and does have some niggly issues

MaryJane197

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Mad Cabbie! I downloaded WP 10 preview for mobile. I am LOVING it! There are a few bugs in it but I'm so glad I upgraded.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Mad Cabbie! I downloaded WP 10 preview for mobile. I am LOVING it! There are a few bugs in it but I'm so glad I upgraded.

No worries. Hope you got the search engine sorted. At last, someone with something positive to say!! There is hope for W10M then....lol

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
No worries. Hope you got the search engine sorted. At last, someone with something positive to say!! There is hope for W10M then....lol

I like W10 quite a bit on this phone. I saw it on the 950, then installed it on this phone. Maybe just because it's new, but I think it makes this phone feel more expensive.

I've installed the myriad of preview builds over the past year on a bunch of different phones (930, Icon, 1520, HTC One, 920, 1020, probably others).

This is finally a build that I can live with as a daily, so I am doing just that. The messaging app is a little slow to load, but outside of that, I don't have any complaints so far.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I like W10 quite a bit on this phone. I saw it on the 950, then installed it on this phone. Maybe just because it's new, but I think it makes this phone feel more expensive.

I've installed the myriad of preview builds over the past year on a bunch of different phones (930, Icon, 1520, HTC One, 920, 1020, probably others).

This is finally a build that I can live with as a daily, so I am doing just that. The messaging app is a little slow to load, but outside of that, I don't have any complaints so far.

Definitely makes the 640 seem 'younger' / 'refreshed' along with my 1320. Much nicer UI for some of us, although it is getting harder to find positive experiences amongst the nay sayer doom mongering shouty brigade!

cwkwood

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Most of these are available free in the app store. I have a pdf reader, translator, and currency converter on mine. MS has a budget mgt program. I am not sure about Kindle, and some banks don't have apps, so you have to use their website.
Thanks for that Gordon. One thing I use multiple times a day is an app called good budget. It's a digital money envelope system to keep you from overspending in certain areas. IE groceries, recreation, etc. I'm happy to try a different app with similar function but prefer one that works with ios too as my wife is not making the plunge to the windows phone. However our data needs to stay synced. Any ideas on this one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte