Why won't my car bluetooth read messages anymore?

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Car bluetooth won't read messages anymore

Was there an recent update to windows phone where it causes problems with a car's Bluetooth ability to read incoming text messages? I have a 640 and my wife has an 830. Up until recently our cars stopped reading our text messages. I thought it was just my car until my wife complained about her car as well. Anyone else having an issue? Just to clarify my car would tell me I have an incoming message and if I would like it to read it out loud. I can answer yes or no and even reply to the message. I would like to add that everything else works, eg making phone calls, incoming phone calls, streaming music, etc. Just not receiving text message notifications. Thanks in advance to any replies.

Edit* Both my wife and I are on windows mobile 8.1.

Last edited:

DrDreadJoy

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Car bluetooth won't read messages anymore

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 mobile? Because once I did that, Cortana won't read my messages anymore either. Which is a SERIOUS bummer because that was by far my favorite WP feature that no other platform does well.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Both are still rocking 8.1 until 10 is stable. It is a super bummer because we text more than call each other since most of the time we can't hear our phones with kids in the car yapping and stuff. I sure hope there is a fix for this soon!!!

DrDreadJoy

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm sorry for you, but I'm also relieved as I was thinking about switching back to 8.1 to get that feature back. If it's gone from there, then there is no reason for me to down grade.

If you look in your speech settings, does it still give you an option for reading over bluetooth? In Win 10, there is no option.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Tried unpairing and repairing? Don't use that with a car but my 1020 and Nokia Reaction headset work as you describe over Bluetooth using WP 8.1 Update 2, what's your OS version?

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Ok just tried my wife's 830 in my car and it worked. Still not working with my 640. Not sure why it stopped all of a sudden. I do know that my 640 doesn't work in my wife's car. This is really frustrating. I've already tried un-pairing and re-pairing. It's weird because it's always worked up until a few weeks or so ago. Not sure why all of a sudden this won't work.

tpbklake

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

My 640 started doing the same thing. It turned out my volume setting for Bluetooth was down to 0. Once I bumped the volume setting up it started working like it previously did.

Tsukino

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
There are a couple things you could check with your cars.
1. Sometimes the system can not handle having more than one phone in the system. Remove both phones from the car's system. Install yours first and then hers.
2. check Volume on the system and the phone. may have been turned down.
3. Check the Bluetooth setting on the phone. Once paired, tap the "Advance" button. A check box appears for "an alternate Bluetooth audio connection". Cortana would always break in to radio, but always silent when giving directions and reading messages before I did this. Like you, it did work fine before without this change.
Anything else, I don't know. Good Luck!

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
it still works for me also. wife sent me a text less then 2 hours ago while i was driving.. it read it the same as always.

im using a t-mobile lumia 640 win8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss