Turn on Wifi Near Favorite Places

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about when you turn off wifi , one of the option is to "turn on near favorite places" .

I'm not seeing this option on Lumia 640 Windows 10 10586. I did not check if it was there on 8.1 when I got the phone as I just upgraded instantly.

I has been there on my other 8.1 devices but this is my first time using 10. Location and cortana is on. So not sure what is up.

is this feature not available on Windows 10 as yet? Does anyone have this option on their 640?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
In Windows Phone 8.1, the first time you connect to an establishments Wi-Fi, there is a check box to connect automatically. I've never needed the feature to "Turn on near favorite places" (and didn't know it was an option). I run cellular service all the time until I am near one of the wi-fi locations I have set up. Then, when I check, it is on the WI-FI for that location. Seems like the feature "Turn on near favorite places" might not be needed. Maybe this is true for Windows Mobile 10?

Thoughts?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
In Windows Phone 8.1, the first time you connect to an establishments Wi-Fi, there is a check box to connect automatically. I've never needed the feature to "Turn on near favorite places" (and didn't know it was an option). I run cellular service all the time until I am near one of the wi-fi locations I have set up. Then, when I check, it is on the WI-FI for that location. Seems like the feature "Turn on near favorite places" might not be needed. Maybe this is true for Windows Mobile 10?

Thoughts?

What's happening there is your wifi is remaining on and connects when you reach another location. This is all well and good but also drains battery.

Leaving your wifi on will have it constantly trying to connect to networks you pass by until you reach your destination. With "turn on near favorite places", you can turn off your wifi when you say, for example leave the office... And have it automatically turn back on when you get home.... Saving that battery life :)

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
What's happening there is your wifi is remaining on and connects when you reach another location. This is all well and good but also drains battery.

Leaving your wifi on will have it constantly trying to connect to networks you pass by until you reach your destination. With "turn on near favorite places", you can turn off your wifi when you say, for example leave the office... And have it automatically turn back on when you get home.... Saving that battery life :)

Respectfully, . . . Your concern, is no problem for me. I pay no attention to such things, because I'm busy with my work, and my Lumia 822 lasts just fine.
May I ask, what is your real concern?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Respectfully, . . . Your concern, is no problem for me. I pay no attention to such things, because I'm busy with my work, and my Lumia 822 lasts just fine.
May I ask, what is your real concern?

That the option is no longer there.

It's not like "omfg i m going to die i neeed this" It was something that came in handy, something i liked to use... Sometime I miss.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
That the option is no longer there.

It's not like "omfg i m going to die i neeed this" It was something that came in handy, something i liked to use... Sometime I miss.

I don't mean to not understand, I really don't. That said, . . . I hear you saying that you can't have local establishments, checked off to connect when near, because it uses up battery, and the "feature" you are missing, doesn't use up battery. If that is the "case", then I'm glad to understand, but it is not a problem for me.
I'm all for wide spread inclusiveness. Lots of options, so everyone has choices to meet their "use" case.
Best Wishes.
Kevin

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to not understand, I really don't. That said, . . . I hear you saying that you can't have local establishments, checked off to connect when near, because it uses up battery, and the "feature" you are missing, doesn't use up battery. If that is the "case", then I'm glad to understand, but it is not a problem for me.
I'm all for wide spread inclusiveness. Lots of options, so everyone has choices to meet their "use" case.
Best Wishes.
Kevin

It's more of a convenience than a battery saver for me.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
It's more of a convenience than a battery saver for me.
Okay?
Doing it your way or my way, both are the same convenience. Both are automatic. Both connect to the Wi-Fi of previously selected Wi-Fi locations automatically. The difference, if I understand it correctly, is that, you say that your way, is no longer available. Right?

That said, I'm signing off.

Last edited:

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the original poster. I have my home, work, and vacation house set up as favorite places, that's it. I want the WiFi to automatically turn on when I arrive at each location. When I don't need it, I turn it off, but it comes back to wifi when I get back home each night to my high speed internet, which is what I want.

I also miss the feature. Thanks for the thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo