New 640 = New member!

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, first post here....just received my new Lumia 640 today in the mail (unlocked ATT model off ebay), and of course real excited to get using it. I've enjoyed the T-mobile 521 I've used for the last 18 months, but time to give myself a little upgrade! So, not wanting to screw anything up (I haven't even put my T-mobile sim in it yet!), what do you figure is the best plan of attack with the ultimate goal of running W10 on it? Do I try to install W10 right off the bat (i guess from the insider route so I have read?), or go with the normal progression of starting the phone and restore using a 521 backup, make sure the phone works, etc, and then wait on formal release of W10 later? Thanks- first time I have been really excited about getting a new phone!

sr1030nx

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome, to the world of tomorrow!

I'd suggest going right for windows 10, It's a nice upgrade.

After you install it (via the insider app) do a hard reset. This often fixes and prevents any future issues.
After that load from your backup or start fresh, up to you.
One thing you may encounter it's you'll have an extra row to full with tiles, the option is based on screen size.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I myself went straight to Windows 10 (Via Insider) a hard reset from 8.1 after you upgrade to 10 seems to be the way to go (I did) personally I never use a backup except for it retaining my settings on apps I download. I just start fresh and re- download the apps I need. You may want to add a tempered glass protector and SD card. I changed mine to two columns instead of three..I think it looks better myself on a phone that size.

Enjoy it they are amazing phones.

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the input,,,,that is the direction I was thinking of going. So I guess I'll go ahead with the initial phone setup, presumably with my current sim installed (I do have to confirm it is unlocked as the seller said it was), add the Insider app and request the update. Remind me what the hard reset is? And will the update/reset interfere with the phone being unlocked? (I won't have to re-enter the code again will I - as I don't have it?!)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the input,,,,that is the direction I was thinking of going. So I guess I'll go ahead with the initial phone setup, presumably with my current sim installed (I do have to confirm it is unlocked as the seller said it was), add the Insider app and request the update. Remind me what the hard reset is? And will the update/reset interfere with the phone being unlocked? (I won't have to re-enter the code again will I - as I don't have it?!)

Hard reset will be under settings->system->about and then you click "reset my phone".

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
You don't need your tmo card in it to set it up. You can connect to wifi, register your windows account for insiders program, download and install w10, then start using it.

I put w10 in it prior to use. I didn't restore my old backup either, because I liked the default icon set up (with a few small changes), and that would have been completely changed if I used a backup. I uses the sms + contacts backup on the old phone to transfer them all to the 640. Also, by not doing a restore, I didn't download all of my apps - I selected the ones I wanted (coming from a 32gb to an 8gb phone).

w10 works great on this phone.

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
OK, did the initial setup under W8.1, checked my sim card and it did eventually reach the T-mobile LTE network - was a little nervous when first said E for the ATT edge network, but then went to 4G half a minute later, made a test phone call, then noticed LTE afterwards. Downloaded and registered with Windows Insider, selected the slow method and the first update that is available to me is the 10586.29 build. Probably will wait until tomorrow morning to do the update, since have to go out soon. So far so good! I like the dim time and notification screen when "off"- I guess that is what you guys call the "glance" feature?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you installed WM10 on the 640, it really handles everything smoothly. I would suggest switching over to the fast ring and install build .36 followed by a hard reset. I'm currently using it on my 830 as my daily driver and my backup 640 and I'm absolutely enjoying the experience. Make sure you allow offline maps to be installed on the SD card to save space on the internal memory.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Have the 640XL excellent phone with Windows Phone 10. I recommend starting from scratch though, do not restore from backup after you do the hard reset. Let everything install /update after the hard reset before you do anything else. There will be two rounds of updates, the first one is about 45 items, the next one is about 5.

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Any particulars reason not to use the old 8.1 phone restore? Does it bring forward something that limits performance? Just curious!
Indeed, probably would take no time to reload/rearrange old apps the way I would like it, and the old pictures are on the cloud already. I guess even do without recent text, although I see there is an option on the 521 to backup text only, and just choose for the last month. Thanks again...looking forward to the update!

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
So far so good...doing the hard reset now- keeping my fingers crossed still on the T-mobile network when it comes back!

I myself went straight to Windows 10 (Via Insider) a hard reset from 8.1 after you upgrade to 10 seems to be the way to go (I did) personally I never use a backup except for it retaining my settings on apps I download. I just start fresh and re- download the apps I need. You may want to add a tempered glass protector and SD card. I changed mine to two columns instead of three..I think it looks better myself on a phone that size.

Enjoy it they are amazing phones.
What recommendations for a tempered glass protector do you have?

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks boltman!

One W10 feature feature I really like is the new way of organizing tiles on the start screen. I happened upon it while moving tiles around, accidentally dropping one on top of another! Took a moment for me to realize want was going on, but this is a really cool feature. Substantially shortens my start screen by organizing the tiles I have to have into these convenient little "folders"....neat!:cool:

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Windows 8.1 Denim had the folder option as well. I'm glad they carried it over as it was one of those features I like for organization of my start screen.

P Shrinivasan

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 works very well on Lumia 640. One app (Type Kannada) does not work properly in it, though it works on windows 10 on a 520 !
But I miss Gestures Beta app that worked great in 8.1 (Just holding the phone to your ear to answer a call felt great ! Hope that they will bring it back !
Regards

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 works very well on Lumia 640. One app (Type Kannada) does not work properly in it, though it works on windows 10 on a 520 !
But I miss Gestures Beta app that worked great in 8.1 (Just holding the phone to your ear to answer a call felt great ! Hope that they will bring it back !
Regards
I believe Gestures Beta is one of the apps you can install on W10M by using the app "SysApp Pusher". Just double checked, and it is available.

Edit: Installed and launched the app only to see a screen that says it doesn't work with this version of Windows Phone. I guess I can't miss what I never had :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3