I have a new Lumia 640 LTE and would like to get everything from my old Lumia 635 onto the new phone. I have found found ways to sync or move most things but not apps and settings. So I tried a reset and started again.

I read on the internet that the only way to restore apps & settings was after a reset, where I would be asked which backup I wanted to use. So I tried a hard reset so that I could try restoring a backup from the 635 to the 640 but so far have been unable to do so.

Currently I am stuck on the sign in screen, each time I try to sign in I get an error that the service is down - try again later.

Can someone please help me restore apps & settings from a backup - every microsoft website gives incomplete info or info that doesn't work.
    12-27-2015 07:49 PM
    The best thing I would advise for you to do is to backup your 635 right before you start setting up the 640 and let it finish. Also backup apps that have backup options as well. However, not every app has a option to restore backups. As for settings, there should be an option that says to sync settings across devices, along with an option to keep the theme.
    12-27-2015 08:41 PM
    Thanks for your reply libra89. I've tried all that you suggested already, at least twice. Settings and apps don't sync across any of my devices at all.
    I'll have to look into backup options within apps - I'll say that I have never seen such an option in any app. Can you give me an example of an app with such an option? I'll install it and see if it works.

As I understand what I've read, when I set up my phone after a reset, and when I enter in the microsoft account on the new phone I should be promted to choose a backup from my saved backups on OneDrive. I am never asked for this. My contacts do sync, but nothing else.
    12-28-2015 10:59 AM