SIM card question

iFalcon

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
I already have a family plan on AT&T with a shared data plan. I currently use an iPhone 5 on it.

Probably a silly question but can I just insert the SIM card into the 640 and I'll be set? I do have adapters for a different size of SIM card. I'm planning to pick the 640 up today and did not know if already have a plan would prevent it from working. I was thinkimg this is a pay as you go phone.

Thanks.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I use my 640 for a backup phone. Right now I have to return my Note Edge, so I just took the sim out of the Edge and put it in the 640.. No problems... ANd I am also on AT&T.

iFalcon

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
Great. Does it take the nano or micro? Get them confused. I have an adapter o have to use the lg G3. I have a serious phone fetish issue. Lol.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
You can use an adapter, and it will work fine. You might want to submit an unlock request via att's website first (use the non-customer radio button), just to have it unlocked in case you want to sell it. Once activated, you have to wait a few months, and it will use one of your yearly customer-based unlocks.

With att, on occasion, an IMEI-mismatch between their system and your phone may cause you to lose cellular data ability. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes If that happens, call into customer service and update the IMEI in their system, and all will be good again.

Their system should update your IMEI automatically, but it doesn't always, so that can happen.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ to add to this: @iFalcon: An unlock is not needed to use your existing SIM with the AT&T 640 but once you insert your existing SIM and activate the phone with it AT&T might turn down your unlock request in case you want to sell it later.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
^^ to add to this: @iFalcon: An unlock is not needed to use your existing SIM with the AT&T 640 but once you insert your existing SIM and activate the phone with it AT&T might turn down your unlock request in case you want to sell it later.

They do not "turn down" unlock requests ever

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. I think a lot of it is "thinking" they will turn you down rather than reality.

The reality is they will turn you down if your device does not satisfy their unlocking policy. For example a new off-contract unactivated phone can be unlocked provided it hasn't been activated on a prepaid GoPhone. The moment a GoPhone SIM is inserted the only way AT&T will unlock it is after 60 days of service. Another example would be they won't unlock a device which is on their NEXT plan and all installments have not been paid. The last one would be they won't unlock a device if it's still on contract. So you see..there are plenty of reasons for them to turn you down. Besides I have been turned down quite a few times for all the reasons stated.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The reality is they will turn you down if your device does not satisfy their unlocking policy. For example a new off-contract unactivated phone can be unlocked provided it hasn't been activated on a prepaid GoPhone. The moment a GoPhone SIM is inserted the only way AT&T will unlock it is after 60 days of service. Another example would be they won't unlock a device which is on their NEXT plan and all installments have not been paid. The last one would be they won't unlock a device if it's still on contract. So you see..there are plenty of reasons for them to turn you down. Besides I have been turned down quite a few times for all the reasons stated.

Don't think anyone is popping in the Go Phone SIM and then going to ATT..nor many buying the cheap 640 on NEXT

A vast majority are buying the 640 as a go phone or through a 3rd party and putting in their existing ATT SIM that will unlock in 48 hours. That covers most all 640 situations.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
That covers most all 640 situations.
Not all. Here is one for you that's has been quite popular these days with the promotions AT&T/Microsoft has been running. For non-AT&T customers (as me), activating on AT&T is a certain no-no since AT&T won't provide an unlock code once activated on the new GoPhone SIM.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Not all. Here is one for you that's has been quite popular these days with the promotions AT&T/Microsoft has been running. For non-AT&T customers (as me), activating on AT&T is a certain no-no since AT&T won't provide an unlock code once activated on the new GoPhone SIM.

That is same thing I said ..no one pops in go phone sim and expects ATT to unlock it. That is well known.

Truthfully non-att customers should not ever be able to unlock an Att go phone.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
That is same thing I said ..no one pops in go phone sim and expects ATT to unlock it. That is well known.
The GoPhone SIM comes inserted in the phone so its only a matter of turning it ON for the first time and registering it on the AT&T network.

Truthfully non-att customers should not ever be able to unlock an Att go phone.
AT&T does unlock phones that come in GoPhone kits (Example the AT&T 640 GoPhone kit) for non-customers as long as the phone is not registered with a GoPhone SIM accidentally or on purpose (above comment).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3