Would Lumia 640 be an upgrade over Lumia 820?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The 640 isn't an upgrade over the 820 but you really can't go wrong with the price point. The lack of wireless charging, gorgeous AMOLED screen, dedicated camera shutter and capacitive buttons are the main trade offs.
I think AMOLED being an upgrade or downgrade is very subjective, so I don't think it's fair to include that in your list. I tried an AMOLED phone, and it was nice for sure, but I think I don't prefer it lol.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Dont forget the 640 has a bigger screen, a much bigger battery, 8.1 upgrade 2/Denim and will probably get W10 while the 820 probably will not. There are some tradeoffs but there always is.

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm not disappointed nor am I complaining, it is exactly what I expected it to be, a cheap, low-end phone. As I said earlier, for $60 no contract it's a good deal and performs ok for the price. For me it's just a stop-gap while I decide what to do next, 950XL or go to the dark side.

What's the dark side?

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
He means one of the other competing platforms like iOS for example.
Android users be gentle :(
Just wondering android or iOS.... I use my iPhone 6 and my lumia daily. I'll switch to my lumia 100% when they officially release Windows 10. I've been using all the Microsoft apps on my iPhone to prepare for the switch. iOS is smooth and perfected, but windows mobile is just as smooth and it looks better. So I'm just curious what he thinks the dark side is. I've owned easily over 100 different phones over the last four years ranging from android, blackberry, Palm OS,iOS Symbian, Windows phone... You name it. I prefer iOS because regardless of how anyone feels I think it's the most stable phone os out right now and the phone itself is good quality. But I own a widows 10 PC and an Xbox one and can't wait for the iOS app integration to start and all the windows universal apps to start rolling in. This is an exciting time!!! I also will be buying the Surface phone if one really gets released. Android for sure is the last OS I'd go to if I had to switch. But to each their own right? Let's goooooooo Microsoft and W10M !!!!! Am I right?!

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I think AMOLED being an upgrade or downgrade is very subjective, so I don't think it's fair to include that in your list. I tried an AMOLED phone, and it was nice for sure, but I think I don't prefer it lol.

When the difference is between a black background that blends into the bezel and one that is more of a dark gray it's hard not to include it as an upgrade. Of course W10M's weak dark theme kind of throws away that benefit though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
When the difference is between a black background that blends into the bezel and one that is more of a dark gray it's hard not to include it as an upgrade. Of course W10M's weak dark theme kind of throws away that benefit though.

I have seen it for myself, but at the same time, there are tradeoffs with it. That is a valid point, and it's ideal if you like the black theme style the most and also like to set your apps and such to the dark theme. I get what you are saying, but that's why I say that it is subjective. It depends if the person would be alright with possible tradeoffs.

I hated worrying about if my navigation bar will burn in, and always having to remember to slide it down so that it doesn't. Also since I like the white theme, that burns battery so fast and so much on it.

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
You'll find many L920 holdouts switched to the L640. Wish I could have retained my L920 camera, but otherwise the 640 is comparable to a L920. L640 runs Win10M (insider) well enough for me. I can run games like GTA San Andreas from SD card as well as it ran on the L920. So yes, L820 user should be ok with L640 but you may want to have another camera for important pictures. If you don't like the L640, you are only out $60 or less (assuming US ATT).

ElChozoLoco

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
capasitive buttons are ****. Surveys showed that people prefer on-screen. I myself do too. And "gorgeous amoled screen"? Who gives a ****? I feel like you have an 820, and want a 640 but just cant get it, so you're trying to make it sound bad.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
capasitive buttons are ****. Surveys showed that people prefer on-screen. I myself do too. And "gorgeous amoled screen"? Who gives a ****? I feel like you have an 820, and want a 640 but just cant get it, so you're trying to make it sound bad.

You would be completely wrong and pretty foolish to assume that. I have a 640 and the screen on the 820 blows it away in terms of color, contrast, black level and viewing angles. It only falls short in resolution (800x480 vs 1280x720). That doesn't mean the screen on the 640 is bad. It's a good screen when you consider the price but it's not going to wow anyone.

I still prefer capacitive buttons over software. They look classy, they're below the screen and you don't have to constantly swipe them up and down every minute. If they could rotate and change colors that would be great.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
You would be completely wrong and pretty foolish to assume that. I have a 640 and the screen on the 820 blows it away in terms of color, contrast, black level and viewing angles. It only falls short in resolution (800x480 vs 1280x720). That doesn't mean the screen on the 640 is bad. It's a good screen when you consider the price but it's not going to wow anyone.

I still prefer capacitive buttons over software. They look classy, they're below the screen and you don't have to constantly swipe them up and down every minute. If they could rotate and change colors that would be great.

I agree with you about the screen. I have a L925 and the screen is much better looking. That said, the L640 is a good phone. I don't agree about the buttons, though. When you play games, on screen are better because you don't hit them accidently.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you about the screen. I have a L925 and the screen is much better looking. That said, the L640 is a good phone. I don't agree about the buttons, though. When you play games, on screen are better because you don't hit them accidently.

I've never had that problem though. I think it really depends on the phone and how sensitive the buttons are. The capacitive buttons on my 920 are insanely sensitive but the ones on my 820 are perfect.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I've never had that problem though. I think it really depends on the phone and how sensitive the buttons are. The capacitive buttons on my 920 are insanely sensitive but the ones on my 820 are perfect.

It could be the phone. It's a L925 and I would say it's just me, but a ten year old who's really good at playing games had the same problem. I got him a 640 when they were $39 for Christmas just for games and the camera (no phone plan). He loves it!

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
As far as Amoled vs LCD, this is a toss up. Both offer distinctive advantages and disadvantages. The are some things that are strictly dependent on usage (i.e. LED burn in possibility but power savings on things such as glance screen). This is a debate that can't be won because most points that are brought forward for each tech, whether positive or negative, are valid. It is the user preference that counts.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
After having played with the very nicely priced 640 for a few days I would say it's not an upgrade over the 820 in anyway except screen size. If you care about a fast UI and gaming performance the 640 is going to fall short. My 820 running 8.1 gdr1 is silky smooth compared to 8.1 gdr2 on the 640 which is really jerky when opening and closing apps. It's like MS cut frames out of the animations to make it appear faster but it just looks choppy and not fluid. Certain games are also noticeably worse on the 640 compared to the 820. So it's basically a trade off. A bigger higher res screen with mediocre performance or a smaller lower res and completely smooth. Luckily the 640 is so cheap that it's not a big deal just to have it around as a backup phone.

Haven't really compared camera performance yet but the 640 has rich capture and the 820 can record in stereo. No shutter button on the 640 is lame.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Dont forget about battery. The battery life on the 640 is almost twice as good as the 820. I tried ordering me a new battery for my 820 from Amazon and both times when they came it they did not work.(would not charge). I finally gave up and bought a 640. I also have never had a choppy problem with the 640 and thats running most apps off the SD card. The 820 does take better pictures however; but the 640 does pretty good in the photo department. Also a deciding factor is the 820 will never get W10; while the 640 should. Of course that would mean Microsoft has to come through with the upgrade which they have not done well with.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Dont forget about battery. The battery life on the 640 is almost twice as good as the 820. I tried ordering me a new battery for my 820 from Amazon and both times when they came it they did not work.(would not charge). I finally gave up and bought a 640. I also have never had a choppy problem with the 640 and thats running most apps off the SD card. The 820 does take better pictures however; but the 640 does pretty good in the photo department. Also a deciding factor is the 820 will never get W10; while the 640 should. Of course that would mean Microsoft has to come through with the upgrade which they have not done well with.

The choppiness/stutter is mostly when opening system apps (e-mail, pictures, calculator, etc). The start of the transition animations are glitchy looking. I have a feeling it's more of an MS screw up than the phone being underpowered. Apps like People and all of the system settings open smooth for example.

Also adding the Cortana live tile to the start screen really bogs it down. Same thing with pulling down the notification shade or when you swipe down to turn off the phone. The 640 struggles while my 820 is buttery smooth.

Still haven't compared the camera but I must say that the Lumia Camera app opens almost instantly on the 640. On the 820 there's a loading screen.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed the slight stuttering on certain apps as well, but when compared to an android with similar specs, it is minimal. Strangely, the stuttering was worse on WP8.1. After using Insider to update to W10M, the stuttering decreased significantly. Yet one more reason I'm not going back. If and when AT&T releases an official W10M update for AT&T L640 variant, I will switch accordingly. Until then Insider is working great for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99