02-09-2016 01:35 PM
30 12
tools
    Battery on my Lumia 640 drains a lot faster than expected. The phone is new and even with the battery saving option turned on and no apps running in the background it still drains 10-15% overnight. Not sure what else to do, I would appreciate any advice...
    01-19-2016 02:42 AM
    Go to battery saver. Disable all the background tasks. Also, switch off your GPS, wifi/mobile data(one among them), nfc, internet sharing, supersensitive touch and sunlight readability enhancements. These things are at on by default. Also make sure that you set WiFi to switch ON manually. This will improve your battery life.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-19-2016 03:36 AM
    well, you shouldn't worry about battery life on a Lumia 640, specially with it's bigger 2500 mAh battery! can you be precise with your details?

whats your exact mobile? 640 LTE dual sim? or 3G single sim?

what you mean by overnight? is it from 10 p.m to 7 a.m? do you leave 4G on?

I use a Lumia 640 LTE dual sim and I plug the phone to my charger around 4 a.m every day. so i start the day with a full charge.
    01-19-2016 03:49 AM
    Are you running WP8.1 or one of the preview builds of W10M?
    01-19-2016 03:55 AM
    Go to battery saver. Disable all the background tasks. Also, switch off your GPS, wifi/mobile data(one among them), nfc, internet sharing, supersensitive touch and sunlight readability enhancements. These things are at on by default. Also make sure that you set WiFi to switch ON manually. This will improve your battery life.
    Agreed. Also don't forget Bluetooth.
    01-19-2016 07:30 AM

how do u turn off super sensitive touch?

Sent from mTalk
    01-19-2016 08:23 AM
    Settings > touch
    01-19-2016 08:35 AM
    Settings > touch

not there on the 640

Sent from mTalk
    01-19-2016 10:23 AM
    I already activated the battery saver and disabled all the background apps. I did not switch off GPS and wifi (mobile data is off) because I was under the impression that the battery saver takes care of that. But even with these things turned on I still feel that the phone that was fully charged in the evening should not be at just 85% in the morning.

well, you shouldn't worry about battery life on a Lumia 640, specially with it's bigger 2500 mAh battery! can you be precise with your details?

whats your exact mobile? 640 LTE dual sim? or 3G single sim?

what you mean by overnight? is it from 10 p.m to 7 a.m? do you leave 4G on?

I use a Lumia 640 LTE dual sim and I plug the phone to my charger around 4 a.m every day. so i start the day with a full charge.
    640 LTE, from 10 pm to 5 am - 4G in not on but wifi is (battery saver is also activated)

Are you running WP8.1 or one of the preview builds of W10M?
    WP8.1
    01-19-2016 03:35 PM
    I'm having same problem with my battery , but with a boot so fast that if I blink after turning it on I'm on home screen. I just bought this phone at best buy today.
    01-19-2016 10:33 PM
    I use my L640 LTE extremely and really no issues with battery, actually this is one of my favourite phone in terms of batt life.
    I have everything on! gps, wifi, 4G, email push sync, all apps working in the background, and BATTERY SAVER "TURNED OFF"!!!
    Some time ago I heard a kind of story or sth that the more you try to save battery in this phone the more power it consumes, and in my case so it is. I would suggest to factory reset the phone, scratch everything from the beginning, and not turning off anything.
    I know it's weird but ...
    01-20-2016 02:32 AM
    am running W10 Mobile. with 8.1 you shouldn't worry at all. I'm guessing some 3rd party app you have installed is draining the battery. I noticed a huge battery drain when i had "true caller" app installed, uninstalled it at phone is back to normal. ty to pick at your installed aps.
    01-20-2016 02:58 AM
    Unfortunately, that's what I'll have to do. One of the reasons why I bought this phone in the first place is it's battery. Like most people here, others are also pleased with it's quality. Seeing that other phones lose 1%, 2% or nothing at all overnight I am even more convinced that something is wrong with mine. I just hope it's some app and not the phone itself.
    01-20-2016 03:58 AM
    Disable glance if you have it active.
    It could be causing the drain.
    01-20-2016 04:04 AM
    I thought that the battery saver function starts controlling apps after it reaches 20%. Before that it doesn't monitor or control anything. If you've got your GPS on the whole time (plus any other constantly reporting apps like BT) this is a likely culprit.

Other factors such as network signal strength affect the battery - so if you're in a low signal area the phone bumps up the radios to keep the signal, which uses more battery.

I switched off most of the interactive actions too, such as tap to wake and I limited Glance Screen to 30 seconds.

I get two days out of my 640XL without effort, but only after I tuned the settings.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-20-2016 09:45 AM
    My 640XL takes a minute or more, to boot up to home screen. If yours is that fast, maybe they've slipped a faster processor/more RAM in yours as a lovely surprise! On the other hand something is chewing your battery and wonder whether you can replace it in store for a new one?
    01-20-2016 09:50 AM
    Battery on my Lumia 640 drains a lot faster than expected. The phone is new and even with the battery saving option turned on and no apps running in the background it still drains 10-15% overnight. Not sure what else to do, I would appreciate any advice...
    Turn Off the battery saver and then check your phone. In some cases its consuming more power instead of saving it !!
    Guytronic likes this.
    01-20-2016 02:21 PM
    I thought that the battery saver function starts controlling apps after it reaches 20%. Before that it doesn't monitor or control anything. If you've got your GPS on the whole time (plus any other constantly reporting apps like BT) this is a likely culprit.

Other factors such as network signal strength affect the battery - so if you're in a low signal area the phone bumps up the radios to keep the signal, which uses more battery.

I switched off most of the interactive actions too, such as tap to wake and I limited Glance Screen to 30 seconds.

I get two days out of my 640XL without effort, but only after I tuned the settings.
    You can set the battery saver to kick in at 20%, remain off, on until next charge or on constantly on Wp8.1.

In WM10, I recall seeing a setting where you can adjust when the battery saver kicks in via a slider.

To the OP, check if NFC is turned on, bluetooth, gps + location services.

Also if your email is set to sync as mail as arrives or at a set time that will cause some drain.

On the consumer side I'm only aware of outlook.com supporting native push on WP 8.x without fumbling around with settings (no drain).
    libra89 likes this.
    01-20-2016 05:36 PM
    Are you using Facebook messenger? That app was notorious for eating through my battery.
    01-20-2016 10:31 PM
    check your apps. I remember once installing a battery saver app and it used to drain my battery by trying to read the battery level all the time so it could display it on the live tile...
    01-22-2016 12:11 AM
    I already activated the battery saver and disabled all the background apps. I did not switch off GPS and wifi (mobile data is off) because I was under the impression that the battery saver takes care of that. But even with these things turned on I still feel that the phone that was fully charged in the evening should not be at just 85% in the morning.

640 LTE, from 10 pm to 5 am - 4G in not on but wifi is (battery saver is also activated)

WP8.1
    When I bought this phone, I tested the battery life while Stand-by. The conditions were:
    - 2G (edge)
    - wifi disabled
    - nfc disabled
    - bt disabled
    - battery saver enabled
    - glance 30 sec.

The phone was not used at all. It was just ready to receive a phone call, lying on my desk at the same location all the time.

After the first 12 hours the battery went from 100 % -> 96 %.
    After 24 hours the battery was 92 %.

I also tested 12 hours when battery saver was disabled. I have three active email accounts and phone received some emails during that period. I think that at least one of the accounts was configured to sync every 2 hours.
    When battery saver was disabled, after 12 hours the battery went from 100 % -> 92 %.
    01-22-2016 01:32 AM
    After a few more days of testing the results are not perfect but they are better. Battery saving function seems to have no impact on battery life in my case. The battery now drains acceptable 4-5% overnight (22-05) with or without saving app. At least it's not 15% anymore. I'm not sure what I did or if i did anything but after the last change the battery drains slower. I don't want to turn wifi or GPS off since that defeats the purpose of having a smartphone in my opinion. What's important is that I can use this phone for 2-3 days (moderate use) without having to recharge now.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.
    avengerxp likes this.
    01-26-2016 03:00 AM
    Can anyone who uses 950 for some time could write sth about SOT? I use Lumia 640 a lot (wp8.1) writing emails, web browsing and all those things that requires screen to be on and now wondering how it impact battery life in Lumia 950? Many people here write about 2-3 days battery life, where on my Lumia 640 I can't even get full 2 days
    01-26-2016 05:11 AM
    You are lucky, my Lumia 640 drains 40/50% of battery during the night! And with GPS and WiFi disabled!

I have already made an hard reset to factory default, so there aren't strange applications installed on it, exept for the Microsoft Lumia standard ones.

So, with GPS and WiFi disabled, pure standby mode (without using it), my battery life is less than 20 hours.. I'm very disappointed.
    01-28-2016 06:57 AM
    Guys, when I first got my 640, I had the same issue.

It's due to battery calibration. The battery is new and still needs a couple weeks to calibrate. To speed this up, I let the battery drain and then recharge completely, and it also keeps your battery healthy by draining all the way. The fast battery drainage should dissipate soon.

Hope it helps.
    01-28-2016 07:10 AM
30 12