Screen cleaning issues

Biotic Blue

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else have a minor issue with keeping the screen on the L640 clean? I have noticed on mine that in the centre of the screen there is always a patch that looks almost like plastic that has been used extensively and appears worn, it covers an area of about 30mm circle diameter.

On cleaning the screen with a soft cloth it polishes up the whole screen but still leaves a slight patch of greasy type smudge, and even extensive rubbing it doesn?t fully go. The only way I have found to remove it is with glasses lens wipes and the screen comes up absolutely spotless, only for the first touch of it to cause it to look scuffed again.

Thing is I have a L930 for work and that has nothing like it happening, quick wipe and its spotless and as I understand they both have the corning gorilla glass 3, so was just wondering if it was me?

Biotic Blue

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Any chance your 640 screen actually has a scruff on the screen but 930 doesn't?

No, if I use glasses wipes, it cleans the screen perfectly, not so much as a mark on it at that point and it has a perfect shine to it, touch it and wipe it normally and its like any slight grease just gathers and smears across the centre of it and is really hard to fully wipe off without those wipes?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I remember having these issues with my old 1320. I think they have same screens - so may be the answer is screen coating type. Never had issues with 920, 930 or 950s.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 640 does not have the Oleophobic coating that minimizes grease and fingerprint smudges. Most phones that have Gorilla Glass 3 put the coating on it, because they've already used the premium glass so they want to give it a premium feel. However, that costs extra money, and the Lumia 640 is a budget phone, so cuts were made for the sake of costs.

I purchased a tempered glass screen protector that has the oleophobic coating on it for mine, and it works great. Tempered glass feels like the glass on your phone, except it glides smoother with the coating. Not all tempered glass screen protectors out there have that coating, so make sure the coating is advertised for it. Got mine on Amazon for $5.75 and free shipping. You can also search for and find a liquid oleophobic solution that you can apply yourself to the phone, if you feel brave enough to do your own application. I hear it's fairly simple to do.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I think 640 has some sort of anti-smudge coating, or the glass itself is repelling grease. Compared to 820 and 625, 640 almost never needs cleaning.

I'd try checking the screen at MS store or at the place the phone was bought from. If/when they say it's not manufacturing defect (shape suggests it might be) but normal wear -> screen protector :) Maybe they could give one for free?

jbatacan

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Mine doesnt pick up grease at all either and when it does, a quick wipe on the tshirt and its crystal clear again, id say its defective to some degree.

Diamond67

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I purchased a tempered glass screen protector that has the oleophobic coating on it for mine, and it works great. Tempered glass feels like the glass on your phone, except it glides smoother with the coating. Not all tempered glass screen protectors out there have that coating, so make sure the coating is advertised for it.

I can confirm that oleophobic coating is a must. It feels so much better than the normal screen of 640. I have this one:
Affordable Lumia 640 LTE MyScreen Screen Protector

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills