Two Identical 640s With Different Settings?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
wp_ss_20160304_0001.pngwp_ss_20160304_00011.png

Now here is another for the "WTF" category. I have two identical 640s with the same OS, same build, same updates from the store with different settings than each other. I was wondering why my 640 didnt have touch settings for "double tap to wake" and "vibrate when i touch the navigation keys". But i got my new 640 and it had those settings. It also has Call & SMS filter, Lumia motion data, and Touch. I thought it might be because i didnt update the apps from the store, but i got all the updates, everything is exactly the same between both devices. Splain that one?

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
do they have the same firmware? sounds like one might be ATT and the other one not (ATT is famous for locking down some settings and features at firmware level)

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
do they have the same firmware? sounds like one might be ATT and the other one not (ATT is famous for locking down some settings and features at firmware level)

Second that. Firmware may matter. Well known example is absence of SMS delivery confirmation option when using ATT rom.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Firmware... Has the first example (light theme) been on Preview a long time? There were firmware updates out in Jan/Feb for many models and variants. Speculation is that the updates were a prep for 10.

Suggest WDRT the light theme and then re-enroll in Insider...

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Firmware... Has the first example (light theme) been on Preview a long time? There were firmware updates out in Jan/Feb for many models and variants. Speculation is that the updates were a prep for 10.

Suggest WDRT the light theme and then re-enroll in Insider...

Ok i can do that RumoredNow. I never WDRT the first one (light theme) because it upgraded to 10 fine. The second one (dark theme) i did WDRT because that is the infamous one i have been having problems with as you know. The one that couldnt get any updates until i connected to wifi in the walmart store. Both were bought at walmart and both are the same exact ATT Go Phone brands.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
The first one (light theme) has been on the preview for about 2 weeks, the other one (dark theme) i just bought 2 days ago.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Second that. Firmware may matter. Well known example is absence of SMS delivery confirmation option when using ATT rom.

For those suggesting it might be the firmware, may have a different firmware version...i just checked settings...about...they are identical. Same exact firmware, OS, hardware revision number, radio software, chip version, everything on that screen is exactly the same...i can post screen shots if you like

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
wp_ss_20160304_0002.pngwp_ss_20160304_0003.png

Identical software/firmware. 640 ATT GoPhone both purchased at walmart...one has several more settings in "extras" than the other. The reason im making a deal about this is i want to have those settings on MY phone too, to adjust stuff like touch and the one that has all the settings is the one im giving away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anguis

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Go back to zero on the one you want fully set up. Before the updates hit, disable wifi auto-update in the Store. When the Store updates show up, install them before any other updates, then proceed with system updates, and then apps. Glance, Touch, and Motion will ask for restarts - do them and then check for Store updates, again, before other system and app updates. Work this procedure through the Previews and you should be able.to get everything installed properly, in the right order. At one point, I had Touch, Glance, and Motion updates available that would not install - went about things a little more systematically than the auto-update firehose and got things to work satisfactorily.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Go back to zero on the one you want fully set up. Before the updates hit, disable wifi auto-update in the Store. When the Store updates show up, install them before any other updates, then proceed with system updates, and then apps. Glance, Touch, and Motion will ask for restarts - do them and then check for Store updates, again, before other system and app updates. Work this procedure through the Previews and you should be able.to get everything installed properly, in the right order. At one point, I had Touch, Glance, and Motion updates available that would not install - went about things a little more systematically than the auto-update firehose and got things to work satisfactorily.

I will try that honestly its a lot of work for just a couple settings...really just one when i sit down and think about it. The only one that i care about is touch. That has the double tap to wake function as well as vibrate when i touch the navigation keys...as long as they are turned on, which they are, i think its fine i dont need to turn them off. Just wanted to point out that it is silly that these identical phones have different settings in the extras menu in the settings app.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No sarcasm here. That setting is missing on mine and i never realized. Maybe because it never has had a sim card in it and I only use it for testing a new build before my main phone gets it.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 123247View attachment 123248

Identical software/firmware. 640 ATT GoPhone both purchased at walmart...one has several more settings in "extras" than the other. The reason im making a deal about this is i want to have those settings on MY phone too, to adjust stuff like touch and the one that has all the settings is the one im giving away.

Go to Display and check scaling. Are they both on the recommended percentage?

Today I changed the scaling from recommended to a lower one started getting all sorts of weird crashes with some apps and bugs. Store had to update all my apps but not all of them were in the update. So not every app designs outside the recommended scaling? Not sure.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Go to Display and check scaling. Are they both on the recommended percentage?

Today I changed the scaling from recommended to a lower one started getting all sorts of weird crashes with some apps and bugs. Store had to update all my apps but not all of them were in the update. So not every app designs outside the recommended scaling? Not sure.

Nope scaling is different but I never thought that would have any effect, why should it? So I change my scaling different and all of a sudden Touch settings disappear lol. That's ridiculous if that is the reason... ill change it back and report back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo