09-20-2016 11:21 PM
42 12
tools
    wp_ss_20160304_0001.pngwp_ss_20160304_00011.png

Now here is another for the "WTF" category. I have two identical 640s with the same OS, same build, same updates from the store with different settings than each other. I was wondering why my 640 didnt have touch settings for "double tap to wake" and "vibrate when i touch the navigation keys". But i got my new 640 and it had those settings. It also has Call & SMS filter, Lumia motion data, and Touch. I thought it might be because i didnt update the apps from the store, but i got all the updates, everything is exactly the same between both devices. Splain that one?
    03-04-2016 03:26 PM
    do they have the same firmware? sounds like one might be ATT and the other one not (ATT is famous for locking down some settings and features at firmware level)
    03-04-2016 04:35 PM
    do they have the same firmware? sounds like one might be ATT and the other one not (ATT is famous for locking down some settings and features at firmware level)
    Second that. Firmware may matter. Well known example is absence of SMS delivery confirmation option when using ATT rom.
    Lumious and RumoredNow like this.
    03-04-2016 04:37 PM
    Firmware... Has the first example (light theme) been on Preview a long time? There were firmware updates out in Jan/Feb for many models and variants. Speculation is that the updates were a prep for 10.

Suggest WDRT the light theme and then re-enroll in Insider...
    03-04-2016 05:00 PM
    Firmware... Has the first example (light theme) been on Preview a long time? There were firmware updates out in Jan/Feb for many models and variants. Speculation is that the updates were a prep for 10.

Suggest WDRT the light theme and then re-enroll in Insider...
    Ok i can do that RumoredNow. I never WDRT the first one (light theme) because it upgraded to 10 fine. The second one (dark theme) i did WDRT because that is the infamous one i have been having problems with as you know. The one that couldnt get any updates until i connected to wifi in the walmart store. Both were bought at walmart and both are the same exact ATT Go Phone brands.
    03-04-2016 07:54 PM
    The first one (light theme) has been on the preview for about 2 weeks, the other one (dark theme) i just bought 2 days ago.
    03-04-2016 07:54 PM
    Second that. Firmware may matter. Well known example is absence of SMS delivery confirmation option when using ATT rom.
    For those suggesting it might be the firmware, may have a different firmware version...i just checked settings...about...they are identical. Same exact firmware, OS, hardware revision number, radio software, chip version, everything on that screen is exactly the same...i can post screen shots if you like
    03-04-2016 07:57 PM
    wp_ss_20160304_0002.pngwp_ss_20160304_0003.png

Identical software/firmware. 640 ATT GoPhone both purchased at walmart...one has several more settings in "extras" than the other. The reason im making a deal about this is i want to have those settings on MY phone too, to adjust stuff like touch and the one that has all the settings is the one im giving away.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 03-04-2016 at 09:43 PM.
    03-04-2016 08:01 PM
    Go back to zero on the one you want fully set up. Before the updates hit, disable wifi auto-update in the Store. When the Store updates show up, install them before any other updates, then proceed with system updates, and then apps. Glance, Touch, and Motion will ask for restarts - do them and then check for Store updates, again, before other system and app updates. Work this procedure through the Previews and you should be able.to get everything installed properly, in the right order. At one point, I had Touch, Glance, and Motion updates available that would not install - went about things a little more systematically than the auto-update firehose and got things to work satisfactorily.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-04-2016 08:13 PM
    Go back to zero on the one you want fully set up. Before the updates hit, disable wifi auto-update in the Store. When the Store updates show up, install them before any other updates, then proceed with system updates, and then apps. Glance, Touch, and Motion will ask for restarts - do them and then check for Store updates, again, before other system and app updates. Work this procedure through the Previews and you should be able.to get everything installed properly, in the right order. At one point, I had Touch, Glance, and Motion updates available that would not install - went about things a little more systematically than the auto-update firehose and got things to work satisfactorily.
    I will try that honestly its a lot of work for just a couple settings...really just one when i sit down and think about it. The only one that i care about is touch. That has the double tap to wake function as well as vibrate when i touch the navigation keys...as long as they are turned on, which they are, i think its fine i dont need to turn them off. Just wanted to point out that it is silly that these identical phones have different settings in the extras menu in the settings app.
    03-04-2016 08:59 PM
    Thanks for this thread. Without it I would have probably never noticed that Call & SMS Filter was missing from mine.
    03-04-2016 09:23 PM
    OP you may need to edit out the IMEI's displayed on your images in reply #8
    03-04-2016 09:28 PM
    OP you may need to edit out the IMEI's displayed on your images in reply #8
    Done.
    03-04-2016 09:40 PM
    Thanks for this thread. Without it I would have probably never noticed that Call & SMS Filter was missing from mine.
    3224151-fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-not-sure-if-sarcasm-serious-e14739.jpg
    03-04-2016 11:28 PM
    Done.
    Can you explain what the significance of IMEI is and why i would want to keep it hidden?
    abhishek singh21 likes this.
    03-04-2016 11:29 PM
    Can you explain what the significance of IMEI is and why i would want to keep it hidden?
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/phones-...useof-explains
    03-04-2016 11:35 PM
    I thank you for that basically cloning
    03-05-2016 11:43 AM
    No sarcasm here. That setting is missing on mine and i never realized. Maybe because it never has had a sim card in it and I only use it for testing a new build before my main phone gets it.
    03-05-2016 03:49 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20160304_0002.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	123247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20160304_0003.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	123248

Identical software/firmware. 640 ATT GoPhone both purchased at walmart...one has several more settings in "extras" than the other. The reason im making a deal about this is i want to have those settings on MY phone too, to adjust stuff like touch and the one that has all the settings is the one im giving away.
    Go to Display and check scaling. Are they both on the recommended percentage?

Today I changed the scaling from recommended to a lower one started getting all sorts of weird crashes with some apps and bugs. Store had to update all my apps but not all of them were in the update. So not every app designs outside the recommended scaling? Not sure.
    Guytronic and RumoredNow like this.
    03-05-2016 04:44 PM
    Go to Display and check scaling. Are they both on the recommended percentage?

Today I changed the scaling from recommended to a lower one started getting all sorts of weird crashes with some apps and bugs. Store had to update all my apps but not all of them were in the update. So not every app designs outside the recommended scaling? Not sure.
    Nope scaling is different but I never thought that would have any effect, why should it? So I change my scaling different and all of a sudden Touch settings disappear lol. That's ridiculous if that is the reason... ill change it back and report back.
    WesleyBPeres likes this.
    03-05-2016 06:22 PM
    No sarcasm here. That setting is missing on mine and i never realized. Maybe because it never has had a sim card in it and I only use it for testing a new build before my main phone gets it.
    Wow. I am surprised because when i read that again i thought he has to be sarcastic. Those "Thanks for this thread, without i don't know what I'd do..." type of replies usually are :) Well I'm glad it helped you. You must be missing Touch and Motion Data as well. Call + SMS filter does nothing i found out...it just says something like we are phasing this out check with some other settings (I can't remember) to block your calls.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-05-2016 07:07 PM
    I bought an AT&T branded Lumia 640 last night to set up for my brother on Windows 10. I'm in a similar predicament to the OP. I got it upgraded to build 10586.122 and did a master reset to start fresh. When I started setting up the phone, I'm finding that the Extras options only has 4 choices: Display, Audio, Extras & Info, and Network +.

I first noticed this issue when updating all the pre-installed apps. There is an app called Equaliser (British spelling) that continuously fails. I'm not really sure why it is listed like that because I have an international Lumia 640 XL with the Equalizer settings as depicted in the OP. I've reset the phone multiple times trying to get it set up correctly, and it behaves the same way each time.

I've decided to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to WP 8.1 and start over, but I can't even get that to work. WDRT reboots the phone and says that it is "Switching the device to flashing mode," but the phone keeps booting like normal to the start screen and then the WDRT forces it to reboot again after a few seconds.

I've even tried another master reset, but the WDRT will still not successfully reinstall WP 8.1. We are AT&T customers and have no desire to mess with flashing a different firmware.
    03-05-2016 08:35 PM
    I've decided to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to WP 8.1 and start over, but I can't even get that to work. WDRT reboots the phone and says that it is "Switching the device to flashing mode," but the phone keeps booting like normal to the start screen and then the WDRT forces it to reboot again after a few seconds.
    Unplug the phone from USB and close WDRT.

Power off the phone and wait about 1 minute for shutdown to complete.

Hold down the Volume Up button and tap Power. When you see the Lightning Bolt and Gear screen, release Volume Up. You are now in flashing mode.

Plug into USB. Open WDRT. If t doesn't detect your phone use the "My device was not detected" button and navigate to the appropriate area to get your file download started.
    03-05-2016 09:27 PM
    Insane
    03-05-2016 09:52 PM
    Plug into USB. Open WDRT. If t doesn't detect your phone use the "My device was not detected" button and navigate to the appropriate area to get your file download started.
    2016-03-05.png
    I followed these instructions, but this is what happens when I click "My device was not detected." It's been doing this for several minutes. The computer recognizes the phone as Lumia Bootmgr when the phone first powers on, but then no longer detects a USB device once the phone enters flashing mode.

Edit: After many unsuccessful attempt at resetting the phone back to WP 8.1 and letting the phone sit for a couple hours, it looks like all the settings are correctly showing up in the Extras menu now. I'll go from here with setting up my brother's phone and hope my problem is resolved.
    Last edited by poit57; 03-05-2016 at 11:30 PM.
    03-05-2016 11:18 PM
42 12