Att unlocked 640, anyone have w10 yet?

coolj40041

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone using an unlocked ATT 640 has been able to download W10 yet? When using the Upgrade Advisor I get the 'Good News. Your phone is eligible for upgrade. We are working with your phone operator to make the upgrade available for your phone' (edited) message.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

coolj40041

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
You won't get the "official" W10M update until AT&T approves it even though yours is unlocked. Insider Preview .164 runs very nicely on my unlocked AT&T 640. Give it a go.

I'll wait...for a little while, lol. I really don't want to spend time messing with Insider Preview right now.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I'll wait...for a little while, lol. I really don't want to spend time messing with Insider Preview right now.

I feel the same way... I bought an official AT&T Branded (and still locked) 640 from Best Buy two days ago, because Upgrade Advisor was saying that my 635 1GB on Boost is ineligible for the update. =-[.

I was excited when Upgrade Advisor gave me message, "Good News. Your phone is eligible for upgrade. We are working with your phone operator to make the upgrade available for your phone", but I was very disappointed when I found out that I'd be sitting around waiting.. The other complicating thing for me is that the phone is unactivated. Anyone think this will impact my ability to receive the OTA update?

I was planning to use my 640 as a Windows 10 Mobile guinea pig, and if the water is good, switch carriers.

(Thanks for the suggestion in a separate thread, RumoredNow, to pick up an AT&T 640 and pop in a Cricket SIM... That's my gameplan, now that Sprint or whomever has blackballed my 635's upgrade...)

winphoneaddict

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I echo the above comments about .164 preview on the unlocked AT&T 640. Mine is working great. Really looking forward to the "official" update though, as the firmware update will most likely further enhance this phones functionality.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The app list bug is really annoying....

Also.. That delay after you enter your pin to unlock the phone... They need to optimize that...

Have you ever seen how fast an iPhone unlocks?

Last edited:

jj14x

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
You have an official source on that? Or is that your view, based on bad experience with devices on AT&T?
(since Microsoft, AT&T and the upgrade adviser are stating that the 640 on AT&T will get the official update)

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
You have an official source on that? Or is that your view, based on bad experience with devices on AT&T?
(since Microsoft, AT&T and the upgrade adviser are stating that the 640 on AT&T will get the official update)

Just my jaded opinion. I mean, they only gave 8.1.2 to the post paid 635 and left the go phone version out in the cold.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I echo the above comments about .164 preview on the unlocked AT&T 640. Mine is working great. Really looking forward to the "official" update though, as the firmware update will most likely further enhance this phones functionality.

The only firmware update for W10M for older phones was to make sure they were on official Denim. That's the only pre-requisite for W10M. The Lumia 640 will not get a separate firmware update for it, and the update will be exactly like using the Windows Insider to get to .164. Might as well get it through Insider, then after receiving it, switch to Production ring and unenroll. Then you'll always be kept up to date on the regular production ring.

Information about the firmware updates were gleaned through paying close attention to every stinking announcement Microsoft has made about Windows 10 Mobile ever since we discovered Windows 10 would be called Windows 10 and not 9.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I did get the official update on 2 different unbranded ROMs currently flashed on my original AT&T Lumia 640. The first one was the LTA MX 7R Mexico country variant ROM that came with the OS only. The second one (my current setup) is the Argentina country variant ROM which did come with a firmware update.

jamssx

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Based on the original release of the 640, the ATT version was strangely held until the T-Mobile firmware was ready. Since T-Mobile is testing a firmware change now to fix WiFi calling I would not be surprised if they were holding it for the same reason. Based on everything we've seen it's the sort of illogical delay we've come to expect!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss