I am forced to have two navigation apps on Windows Phone 8.1??

shikhanshu

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640 with Windows Phone 8.1 on it. I am the kind of user who likes minimal apps installed, definitely not more than one app serving the same purpose.

Since 'Maps' by Microsoft comes built-in and can't be uninstalled, I saw no reason to look for another app.
But now I noticed that I need to install another app to get voice turn-by-turn directions!! Really!?

If I installed something like HERE Drive+, I'd have two apps. 'Maps' would just be sitting on my phone doing absolutely nothing.
Furthermore, HERE Drive+ says "This app will not be supported on Windows 10". I plan to upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes to my phone via OTA. Will the 'Maps' app in Windows 10 have voice turn-by-turn in-built?

Am I missing something? Is this really intended? This sounds really stupid.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
HERE won't be an App on 10 true enough. But Maps is picking up the slack.

Microsoft will continue to use HERE Maps data but many questions remain | Windows Central

FWIW, Maps on W10M has turn by turn with voice and draws from the HERE database for its mapping. Yes you can download the same mapping data as HERE for offline nav with Maps. Also in W10M you can save maps to SD card.

You cannot download voicepacks to get a nav voice distinct from system voice.

You can import HERE Collections to Maps Favorites by using this tool on PC in a browser: Maps Favorites Importer

Our Blog has you covered with alternatives for W10M as well: Check out these great alternatives to HERE Maps for Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

shikhanshu

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site

Microsoft will continue to use HERE Maps data but many questions remain | Windows Central

FWIW, Maps on W10M has turn by turn with voice and draws from the HERE database for its mapping. Yes you can download the same mapping data as HERE for offline nav with Maps. Also in W10M you can save maps to SD card.

You can import HERE Collections to Maps Favorites by using this tool on PC in a browser: Maps Favorites Importer

Our Blog has you covered with alternatives for W10M as well: Check out these great alternatives to HERE Maps for Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

What a comprehensive response! Thanks a lot!

Mikefg1957

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I am running Win10 mobile on my Lumia 822. I don't know why but Maps turn by turn navigation runs about 20 to 30 seconds behind of where I actually am. I don't have that problem with Here or any other navigation app I am testing for when Here stops working.
Anyone else have that problem?

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Yep, me too on my 640. Started with one of the recent builds, not exactly sure which, but it always tells me to turn after I already have. Figuring it will get fixed eventually.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just another view: Here on Android is much better than Here on WP. Years ahead, literally ;)

Because I have Sygic (Here tried to suggest weird routes -> 3rd maps app :) ) on my phone, I haven't used MS Maps at all - W10M or WP8.1. So I'm not sure if all the MS Maps improvements are only for Redstone...

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I am constantly impressed with your knowledge and so glad you know how to share it in a way that is so easy to understand .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea