Revert to Windows Phone 8.1 from a corrupted install of Windows 10 Mobile 10586.107

satellitepancake

May 5, 2016
Visit site
I got a Lumia 640 from a friend. He flashed it a lot and joined the Windows Insider program. The phone is now running Windows 10 Mobile 10586.107. It's now slow and unreliable. I want to restore the phone to either Windows Phone 8.1 or Windows 10 Mobile, and then see if the problem persists.

My friend thinks he corrupted some information like the model number and MEID when flashing. In Settings, the model is listed as "Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE Dual SIM" and the MEID is a string of text that varies in length and consists of seemingly random Unicode characters, changing from time to time. If I open the back cover, the model is printed as RM-1073MPCS. There is only one SIM slot. (It's not a dual SIM model.)

My friend said the flash storage might be faulty. He told me when he used it while it was brand new, the phone felt very fast. After flashing a "bad firmware" which made the phone "always overloaded", the phone became slow. The phone was reset using the Settings app when he gave it to me. When I used it, splash screens take longer than what I would consider normal. Some apps feel slow, and occasionally crash to Start screen. (I have never used WP before and don't have one to compare with.) The update to 10586.164 appears in Settings but always ends up stalling and eventually cancelling itself. These might be the result of corrupted OS files caused by faulty flash storage. Is there a utility for confirming storage media failure?

If I use the Windows Device Recovery Tool, the phone shows up as "Lumia 640 LTE Dual SIM". It says "Package not available for this device." and the "Install software" button is disabled.

I contacted support and they said the phone is out of warranty because it's in the Insider program, and I would have to pay for repairs. I don't want to spend any money to repair this phone.

How should I restore the OS?

satellitepancake

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Wow, that's really cheap. Looks like the $29 price is only available in the United States. I recall my friend saying he bought this for around $100 CAD. I'm not interested in a new WP though, I just want to see if there's a way to restore the one I already have without spending.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes