Should I update my Lumia 640 to Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I got this phone today, and I am wondering if I should update it to 10 or not.

Should I?

I am talking about how stable is windows 10 on mobile right now and so if it is worth upgrading, or should I just stick to 8.1?

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
It's absolutely worthwhile, works smoothly on my Lumia 640. I had mine for about one year when I switched so I had to do a factory reset after migrating to W10 but with a fresh phone you might not even need that.

Per Kjellqvist

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
It's absolutely worthwhile, works smoothly on my Lumia 640. I had mine for about one year when I switched so I had to do a factory reset after migrating to W10 but with a fresh phone you might not even need that.

I agree with that. I have upgraded two 640's and they now feel like new phones. Better Office apps, better Outlook, and much more. I went into "Notifications & Actions" and switched most apps to NOT show notifications. After that the battery seems to last around the same length as it did under WP8.1

shikhanshu

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I got this phone today, and I am wondering if I should update it to 10 or not.

Should I?

I am talking about how stable is windows 10 on mobile right now and so if it is worth upgrading, or should I just stick to 8.1?

The answer does depend on what exactly are you hoping for with the upgrade? Are you not satisfied with WP8.1? Are you looking for specific things in the upgrade?

Generally speaking, W10 is more polished and more feature-full. I will not say more 'stable' or 'fast', because WP8.1 is wonderfully stable and fast! Battery life is about the same.

But with more and more devs focusing only on Windows 10 platform, you will find many more useful apps on W10 store as compared to WP8.1-only store. So +1 for "yes, do the upgrade".

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
it seems like every time i see a variation of this question asked it gets bombarded with responses like.. well exactly like the first couple of responses in this thread.

does the person asking about the upgrade use t-mobile? do they require band 12 or wifi calling?
if the answer is "yes" then your not doing the guy (gender neutral usage, lol) any favors.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I agree, if one is a TMobile or MetroPCS user who wants to retain Band 12, Wifi Calling, and HD Voice then 8.1 is your only choice. Besides these things I prefer and use 8.1. One reason is battery life which has been worse on every preview build I have tried. Data Sense has never worked consistently for me on 10 either. I use Cortana extensively and on 8.1 it is superior. It's not even a contest.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I think it is. Here are some of the pros and cons I see:

Pros

• Updated UI (beautiful)
  • Latest versions of apps (FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
  • Access to apps that were discontinued on 8.1 (Bank of America, Instagram, etc.)

Cons

• Sometimes a little quirky, not as smooth and polished as 8.1
  • Can't use email aliases on the new Outlook app
  • Groove has some trouble sometimes between songs (but then again, Xbox Music was nowhere near perfection :p)
  • Sometimes Edge is not compatible with certain sites (my bank for example doesn't let me in saying Edge causes issues with the site... you know, instead of updating their site...)

That's really all I see. My upgrade was pretty great! :) I see myself missing 8.1 sometimes because of the quicks but all in all it's pretty good.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640 on W10 running the production build and it works pretty well. There are some bugs: data usage on cellular does not work, Edge sometimes refuses to do anything--just locks up, sometimes Edge crashes sending you back to the home screen, etc. Probably the most annoying thing I find that happens routinely is that when trying to share an image or something from the web via text message it almost always takes two tries for it to work if I want to send a message also. In other words, I will click the share icon, then I click Messaging, and I see the photo attached. If I immediately hit send it goes out fine, but if I try to type a message with the photo it crashes. However, do it a second time and it works every time. Super annoying since I do this multiple times each day! Otherwise I like the Outlook app a lot--handles email from multiple accounts really well. I think the general design is good, though I'm not sure it looks as good as WP8.1. Still looks a lot better than Android or iOS, which are downright ugly! If design is important to you Windows 10 mobile is the best at the moment. Personally, not many apps I miss. I have decided not to do banking on my phone anyway, so don't miss the banking apps. Snapchat is just trash--if you want it, go elsewhere. Twitter is much better than it used to be. The default apps are all quite good.

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
If you got your phone just one day ago it would be safe to upgrade. If you upgrade to Windows 10 and decide you prefer 8.1, you can downgrade using Windows Device Recovery Tool. And it's better to upgrade now so you don't have much to lose (I guess you haven't installed too many apps or taken too many piocs or saved too many cotnacts, so downgrading wouldn't be such a pain).

Keep in mind, however, that some things don't work on Windows 10. Overall, I'd recommend you to update but these things won't work:

-There is a bug that won't let you download and install langauge packs, neither for keyboard, dictation nor text-to-speech.
-Bing Vision no longer exists. You must download a third-party app to scan QR codes.
-Some bugs are being addressed. Windows 10 receives frequent updates. You can expect monthly updates. Things can get better or worse from one update to the other, including battery life and some particular apps crashing.

All in all, I'd say go for it.

alan browne

May 26, 2016
Visit site
After doing factory reset all I get is :-( image.jpeg what should I do?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786