Lumia 640 discontinued - The King is Dead....

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Looks to me like the King of Budget Smartphones has finally come to the end of its rein. Walmart.com shows no stock as do the stores within 100 miles of my geographic location. Likewise with BestBuy.com and the stores within 250 miles of me. A Google search showed the 640 available through Cricket Wireless for $40-$50 or on Amazon for $50+.

Lucky for me I have an extra tucked away in my dresser drawer that I charge once a month should I lose or break my daily driver.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Looks to me like the King of Budget Smartphones has finally come to the end of its rein. Walmart.com shows no stock as do the stores within 100 miles of my geographic location. Likewise with BestBuy.com and the stores within 250 miles of me. A Google search showed the 640 available through Cricket Wireless for $40-$50 or on Amazon for $50+.

Lucky for me I have an extra tucked away in my dresser drawer that I charge once a month should I lose or break my daily driver.

it feels unfair for the price to be so low in a country such as USA and yet the prices are 4 times higher in most other countries

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site
At first it looked like it was still available on bestbuy.com, but it's only for store pickup. Guess they still have a few at my nearby Best Buy.

May 18, 2016
Visit site
I lucked out, however, food shopping at Target and picked this last one up a few days ago. They even matched the $29.99 clearance price of Best Buy :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
it feels unfair for the price to be so low in a country such as USA and yet the prices are 4 times higher in most other countries

In some cases (especially Brazil), than can be pinned on high import taxes, no? Plus, MS isn't trying to clear stock of those devices internationally like in the US, where the interest is so low. I wouldn't call it unfair at all, I'd call it economics.

papasurf

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I bought 4 of these. Two are unlocked, debranded and flashed to T-Mobile US rom with working band 12. Two are still in box. I still shake my head and smile knowing that this is so much phone for $30!

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought 4 of these. Two are unlocked, debranded and flashed to T-Mobile US rom with working band 12. Two are still in box. I still shake my head and smile knowing that this is so much phone for $30!

Can you provide instructions or a link on how to do this? I recently gave my friend the 640 as a gift. She's on T-Mobile. But she was having problems which we never were able to fix. Mostly that she couldn't participate or send group MMS text messages, no matter what settings we put in.

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
There no official word saying it's discontinued besides u saying u can't find one

Sent from mTalk

Yeah but like libra89 plainly pointed out, Microsoft is no longer selling it. That clue along with what I stated in my OP is an obvious indication that the 640 has met its untimely demise.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The 640 was discontinued (manufacturing and sale) a couple of months back. What you see today is just part of clearing stock. It will still be supported for a couple of years (or may be more).

Last edited:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm sure there's a reason for it. Not saying that's fair, but I'm sure there's a reason. Slightly related: there are lots of products that are much cheaper in the rest of the world - pharmaceuticals come to mind - than they are in the U.S.

Bittah Pupil

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
I did a search on Best Buy's site, clicked Check Stores and got the message "We're sorry, your item is not available within 250 miles of *****" (I live in California).

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure there's a reason for it. Not saying that's fair, but I'm sure there's a reason. Slightly related: there are lots of products that are much cheaper in the rest of the world - pharmaceuticals come to mind - than they are in the U.S.

especially generics which some countries might not allow to come in. But healthcare in US is 2-3 times more expensive than anywhere else for the same services rendered

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
YI0MOTE.jpg
mejer has some

Sent from mTalk

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
mejer has some

Quick! Run back out to Meijer's and buy those 4 in the picture! I'll PM you my address. I promise I won't pay you back! LOL

If only that store was near me. Alas. I'd pick up 2 more for $24.99 each. I had picked up a backup for myself a while back at the $29.99 price, but my wife has commandeered it. Now all I have as a backup is a 635, which is fine for a temporary backup until I can get my hands on another phone, but I will not use it as a daily driver with only 512MB and with the size/resolution. I don't ever want to go lower than the screen on the 640. Higher, yes. Lower, no.

Sad to see the deal finally going away, but I figured it wouldn't last long at those prices with a new product in town.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999