Windows 10 update for AT&T Lumia 640

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
To be clear, the only way we can get firmware is still from WDRT, correct? I had heard rumblings of Microsoft pushing firmware OTA in the Preview builds (or so I am remembering).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that 640 needs any firmware to be W10M ready.

The dividing line may be launched with Denim?

I do know older phones got firmware advances via WDRT and OTA earlier in the year... January and February, If I remember correctly...

Try this, write down your Firmware Version. Plug in to USB and open WDRT, let it detect your phone and click on the result so it contacts the servers.

Check the firmware version offered. If you have that or higher, don't worry. If you are below what is offered, decide if you want to revert to 8.1 for the firmware.

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Well, I was upset earlier and ready to revert back to 8.1 because my phone was simply wonky after the update, and still wonky after a hard reset. After the second hard reset, things started behaving more normally and I was able to install the 318 update. I have a 640 XL set for delivery next week, but I'm not sure I want to go through all of this again so soon. I'll probably keep this on 10 but the XL on 8.1 for a while longer. :sweaty:

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Finally the update is official. In the process of installing now. For those asking about hard resets, this typically corrects most issues that occur after software upgrades (especially major ones). This is true for W10M and Android. I always do a hard reset automatically after any upgrade just to cover all my bases.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, I was upset earlier and ready to revert back to 8.1 because my phone was simply wonky after the update, and still wonky after a hard reset. After the second hard reset, things started behaving more normally and I was able to install the 318 update. I have a 640 XL set for delivery next week, but I'm not sure I want to go through all of this again so soon. I'll probably keep this on 10 but the XL on 8.1 for a while longer

If I were you this is the process I would follow:

1) Upgrade to W10 10586.107 (first build)
2) Update apps via Store
3) Update to 10586.318 (latest production build)
4) Hard reset
5) Go through the OOBE setup, update apps
6) Finally start using phone

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Today AT&T released Window 10 Mobile for the Lumia 640. I've got the update going on 4 of my family's phones. Everything seems to be working fine, with one notable exception. Contacts are either missing or incomplete at best.

Another thing which is very weird is that to two of them I've tried adding their Outlook.com email, in the Outlook app. It says it added it, but then when we try to open the email - nothing. No email, no account, nada. Why is that? How are we supposed to fix this problem?

John Hardy IV

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I saw this failure to migrate the Outlook accounts when I updated my folks' three 640s and 640XLs to Windows 10 Mobile via the Insider App a couple weeks ago. I had to eventually do a reset and bring down their most recent backup to get the accounts recognized in mail again. Seems that would be something that QA should have checked in the upgrade process. :)

Gab A

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Exact same problem here. I am going to try to reset the phone even though that is a major pain to have to reinstall everything...

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Had the missing contacts (some appeared, many didn't) after the update and outlook wasn't working. All other stuff seemed OK. Did a backup then hard reset and now my contacts and outlook are back. Didn't have to manually reinstall anything. In fact, I'll get rid of some of the ATT&T stuff that got installed. Other Store apps are now updating.

Gab A

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Well... I did not go very far. In order to reset (from Settings, System, About) the phone needs to turn Reset Protection off... but when I try I get the message "Ooops! Looks like we ran into a problem trying to turn off Reset Protection. Make sure you have a network connection and try again later." Same message if I go in Update & Security, Find My Phone. Any suggestion?

Update: I simply retried about 10 minutes later and this time it worked. Strange. Now in the process of restoring last Backup after the reset which did not take long...

Last edited:

Gab A

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
I confirm that doing a Phone Reset (from Settings, System, About) solves the contact issue. Now in the process of automatically re-downloading all the apps that were on the phone. It is too bad that even the apps that were on the SD card need to be re-downloaded (somehow Windows mobile claims that the SD card comes from another phone and that the existing apps need to be deleted)

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Something I noticed after the update to W10M. I don't see Office 365 anymore. I did with WP 8.1. Did something change WRT Office 365 and W10M?

I do see Word, etc but they behave and look differently than before the update.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Something I noticed after the update to W10M. I don't see Office 365 anymore. I did with WP 8.1. Did something change WRT Office 365 and W10M?

I do see Word, etc but they behave and look differently than before the update.

You will now have the apps listed separately instead of as "Office". It is the new UWP apps for Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, Powerpoint Mobile, etc. They are much more feature rich and capable than before. Enjoy the new Office. Takes a little time to get used to the changes, but well worth it. It beats the version available for WP8.1 by miles.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My only worry is WhatsApp stuff needs to show up without any issues after upgrading to WM10. Once I get that figured out I am going to upgrade it. In the meantime WP8.1 is fine on my 640.

Gab A

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi. So I have done a Phone Reset as you suggested and the People/Contacts issue is solved. Thanks! However after that I had to re-download apps which took a while (and reboot at least once to update Glance)... I am now down to four that somehow cannot install for a reason that is unclear to me: "Rate Your Device", "Gesture & Touch", "Lumia motion data" and Lumia Highlights (US)". Any idea of what I could try? Thanks.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
My only worry is WhatsApp stuff needs to show up without any issues after upgrading to WM10. Once I get that figured out I am going to upgrade it. In the meantime WP8.1 is fine on my 640.

For WhatsApp you can perform a backup on the SD card and restore it later in case the update messes up the installation.

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi. So I have done a Phone Reset as you suggested and the People/Contacts issue is solved. Thanks! However after that I had to re-download apps which took a while (and reboot at least once to update Glance)... I am now down to four that somehow cannot install for a reason that is unclear to me: "Rate Your Device", "Gesture & Touch", "Lumia motion data" and Lumia Highlights (US)". Any idea of what I could try? Thanks.
They are on your SD card probably. Go to Storage, move them to internal memory, and they will update. Note that the names in Storage may not be exact matches, but it'll be clear enough what they are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786