Windows 10 update for AT&T Lumia 640

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
@jslice7: "I felt it was a bit to laggy compared to the 8.1 version."

Of all the things I worry about for W10M, this is what I am most anxious about. I can live without some apps, I can, with some reluctance live without some Win 8.1 features but "lagginess" would be a deal breaker.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I finally got around to updating to 10 and then the (.318?, can't find where it says the exact build)
I live in the cloud, so I updated, then apps updated, then got the 318, then apps updated....
So I did a full wipe and set everything up as a New phone, not from back up.
Windows 10 is awesome. It's faster now that it was with out of the box 8.1
There's a hitch or glitch here and there, but wow, I really love W10M SOOOO much more than 8.1
Man I wish ballmer hadn't screwed over Windows phone. If MS would just do something to get the apps I want, I would never go back to iPhone or Android ever again.
So sad that this OS hasn't been more popular. MS need to pay for the top 100 apps (not games) from other iOS/Android and get some market share so that the rest would follow. if they could just get 10% market share, the apps would Pour in....
Microsoft has BILLIONS, they need to buy their way into 10% market share... Ugh. I want to use this phone full time, it's just not there yet.
So many "little" things need redone/fixed, but the core OS is soooooooo dang awesome. it baffles me how a software company can be so bad at software....
And without google apps/products, MS has zero hope of ever getting anywhere. I don't want G(wiz)Mail and yooooooToooobe. I want YouTube.... I don't want MS-Book, I want Facebook, made by Facebook etc etc etc

Last edited:

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
After a week or so with W10M on my 640, it's OK but I lost some Cortana and Band2 functionality that I had with 8.1 and was used to having. Only push notifications I get from Cortana on my B2 are news items when enabled. Weather and others are gone. Seems like if stuff appears in the Cortana live tile on the phone, it will appear on the Band. No live tile on phone ---- Cortana silent on Band.

Need to get used to the changes in the Office apps too.

Hope to see more frequent updates now that MSFT controls this rather than our friends at AT&T.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I finally got around to updating to 10 and then the (.318?, can't find where it says the exact build)
I live in the cloud, so I updated, then apps updated, then got the 318, then apps updated....
So I did a full wipe and set everything up as a New phone, not from back up.
Windows 10 is awesome. It's faster now that it was with out of the box 8.1
There's a hitch or glitch here and there, but wow, I really love W10M SOOOO much more than 8.1
Man I wish ballmer hadn't screwed over Windows phone. If MS would just do something to get the apps I want, I would never go back to iPhone or Android ever again.
So sad that this OS hasn't been more popular. MS need to pay for the top 100 apps (not games) from other iOS/Android and get some market share so that the rest would follow. if they could just get 10% market share, the apps would Pour in....
Microsoft has BILLIONS, they need to buy their way into 10% market share... Ugh. I want to use this phone full time, it's just not there yet.
So many "little" things need redone/fixed, but the core OS is soooooooo dang awesome. it baffles me how a software company can be so bad at software....
And without google apps/products, MS has zero hope of ever getting anywhere. I don't want G(wiz)Mail and yooooooToooobe. I want YouTube.... I don't want MS-Book, I want Facebook, made by Facebook etc etc etc

MS, in terms of phones, seems to be in the mindset of developing features into their OS only after it is mainstream. This means that by the time the updates hit the market, that are well behind. Examples include the notification center, folder style on the main screen, keyboard Swype like ability, and universal apps. While paying to get some major apps might help, they also need to step up thier developing speed and get features implemented faster. They made great strides with features in all the updates starting with 8.1, but the releases were still slow, even if carrier approval was not a factor. I agree the W10M OS had tremendous potential to bring windows phone adaptation up, but only with MS keeping up with the market.

What's most annoying is seeing MS ramp up development on their apps for the android and iPhone markets, but fail to do so on their own product line.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
MS, in terms of phones, seems to be in the mindset of developing features into their OS only after it is mainstream. This means that by the time the updates hit the market, that are well behind. Examples include the notification center, folder style on the main screen, keyboard Swype like ability, and universal apps. While paying to get some major apps might help, they also need to step up thier developing speed and get features implemented faster. They made great strides with features in all the updates starting with 8.1, but the releases were still slow, even if carrier approval was not a factor. I agree the W10M OS had tremendous potential to bring windows phone adaptation up, but only with MS keeping up with the market.

What's most annoying is seeing MS ramp up development on their apps for the android and iPhone markets, but fail to do so on their own product line.

the needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

sadegetouha

May 12, 2016
Visit site
guys if i flashed that rom in my device unlocked de-branded

PackageTitle: RM-1073 VAR LTA 7R CV
Product Code: 059X153

can i have w10m from MS without using insider

horbeme

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
i did the same thing for my son and mother-in-law, i checked my sons phone last nigh and the outlook email account is showing now and later on today im going to check my mother-in-laws phone and see if its there also. in the initial set up it would not show the outlook let alone sync anything, just crazy

Gab A

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Build 10586.420 is out. You can get it by simply triggering a phone update from the Settings/Update & Security menu. It looks like it might remove the need for doing a hard reset after updating to Windows 10 to get Contacts/People/Mail/Calendar working as the log states "Fix for a problem that caused some phones unable to re-add a primary Microsoft account without resetting after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1."

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone with a Cricket branded 640 gotten this, since AT&T owns Cricket?

Not only has Cricket not yet pushed it, but Cricket is bad about not doing updates. Going insider is your best best, and switching to Producting Ring after obtaining it will make your phone exactly the same as if you'd gotten the official update, plus you'll no longer be at Cricket's mercy for updates after that.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 update for AT&T Lumia 640

the needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

I understand this motto but when MS develops not only more apps for other platforms other than their own, not to mention some of those having better/more features, it is really sad.

Just for Android, MS has 84 apps appear for install on my MXPE. Counting built in apps plus the MS store, there are not this many on W10M.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the AT&T go phone 640. I am staying with version 10.0.14295.1005. It is the last version before they removed the FM radio. That is the feature I use the most. I just can not believe they would remove this app from the users, when the hardware is built in. If the App is ever added back, then I will continue on and upgrade, but for now I am locked at this version until this phone dies. (Good thing I have another 640 as a back-up!)

I have the gophone 640, and the FM Radio app is still there even with the latest version.

josim

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I am on Cricket and have 2 AT&T gophones. I followed the instruction in post #26 and now have Windows 10 on both. Yesterday I received notification of the .420 update and updated successfully. I recommend the update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa