Lumia 640, 1 year later: Are you still using it?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I remember constantly checking to see if the Lumia 640, which appeared to be possibly the next 520/521 at the time, was available from May 2015 on. This has me wondering how this looks like now.

If you have/had a Lumia 640 last year (from April to December 2015), I'll like to know the following:

-When did you buy your first one?
-Are you still using it? If so, are you on 8.1 or Windows 10 Mobile? If not, why not?
-Has your usage changed from last year to now? (Any answer is fine for this question)

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
If you have/had a Lumia 640 last year (from April to December 2015), I'll like to know the following:

-When did you buy your first one?
-Are you still using it? If so, are you on 8.1 or Windows 10 Mobile? If not, why not?
-Has your usage changed from last year to now? (Any answer is fine for this question)

I bought mine in October 2015. I still use it today as my secondary phone and entertainment/GPS purposes. Not much has changed in usage except I use it more heavily now for music. I did take the official W10M upgrade. Wanted maps to be stored on the SD card.

While I will admit that a non rooted android (MXPE) is my primary device, I still have a love for the Windows phone ecosystem. Other than a few minor things that need improvements, the Windows phone look and feel of better in my opinion. There is an "elegance" to the overall appearance that just resonates well with me. If MS releases a mid to upper range line (good specs with a $300-$400 price tag) I would probably dump android next time I'm ready to "upgrade". I don't want the latest and greatest with a $500+ price tag, but I want something I could count on to get a good solid three years out of it if I had to. The 640 could fit the bill, but a higher end camera would have been nice and future updates could cripple it. My 520 was great for 2 years but the denim update made it very sluggish.

Last edited:

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Bought mine for $30 @ BB on BF last November. It's been my DD since and I am constantly amazed at how great a phone it is for the price! I actually have two more sitting in a dresser drawer that I bought new for less than $30 each as spares or as MP3 players. I charge them once a month to keep the Li-ion batteries happy.

Recently installed W10 on my DD but have had to do a hard reset and clean install to try to eliminate poor battery life and poor charging performance. Am just now installing the Anniversary Update so will give it about a week before I decide whether to throw in the towel and revert back to W8.1.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Bought my first one at WalMart around the end of April 2015 if I remember correctly.
It was the DD for about 6 months...I moved on and gifted it to the wife.
She used it until May this year when her brother gave her the iPhone 6S.

It's currently in the unused device cupboard along with a Lumia 635 (T-Mobile) and my Lumia 925 (T-Mobile).

I did buy 2 more 640's on AT&T as giveaways for friends who needed newer phones.
Those 2 are still in use and doing fine not updated still running 8.1 GDR2.

Roddie Toney

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I got mine at Black Friday sale and is my daily user. I just updated to Win 10. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to spend more money for a phone. This thing is like a computer but only cost was 29.00. I see and have heard hey I spent this and that amount and have the latest and greatest then when it comes time to watch a movie while wife was recovering from surgery the expensive phones were having trouble staying connected or even connected. Daughter has a 600.00 Samsung phone that is latest and greatest that was toast at the hospital as she couldn't watch a movie or receive a call. Wifi was not working as well as no connection. My Windows Phone became the main contact for updates as well as phone that Movies were watched on. My phone has been dropped to many times to count. I just read that this phone is now discontinued which should not surprise me as people assumed a cheap phone is a dud and an expensive phone is the only phone anyone needs. Look if you want to get a great phone and pay 400 for it then give me 400 then we both will be happy. I understand people have apps they use but if it works on Windows 10 then it should work on this phone. Nurse was setting up appointment for next home visit and was fiddling with settings on her IPhone to set it up and after I had time and date I told Cortana information and she stated information was set on my calendar. Not only on the phone but PC as well as Laptop. Nurse asked me what type of phone I had so I show her. She claimed to hear nothing but negative things about windows phone but was shocked how quick and easy it was to set up appointment on all my Windows devices. I think all the negatives out there are reason Windows Phone is failing not the features.

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I also got my 640 on Black Friday at BB. I now have it upgraded to Win 10 AU using Insider Pre Release ring. Originally when I was running some of the previous insider builds on Slow ring I did have issues with Win 10. Now, with AU my 640 is running very well. Battery life has improved considerably. I usually get a full day of usage without any charging. I am what I would call a moderate user. Web browsing, email, texting, FB, Stock prices during day, news reading, occasional audio streaming. No real video streaming.

The OS is much more stable now. I rarely have app crashes and the OS hardly ever crashes. IMHO if MS had come out with this version of Win 10 with the 650 and 950 and promoted them a little they would have a better market share now.

Last edited:

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I got mine at Black Friday sale and is my daily user. I just updated to Win 10. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to spend more money for a phone. This thing is like a computer but only cost was 29.00. I see and have heard hey I spent this and that amount and have the latest and greatest then when it comes time to watch a movie while wife was recovering from surgery the expensive phones were having trouble staying connected or even connected. Daughter has a 600.00 Samsung phone that is latest and greatest that was toast at the hospital as she couldn't watch a movie or receive a call. Wifi was not working as well as no connection. My Windows Phone became the main contact for updates as well as phone that Movies were watched on. My phone has been dropped to many times to count. I just read that this phone is now discontinued which should not surprise me as people assumed a cheap phone is a dud and an expensive phone is the only phone anyone needs. Look if you want to get a great phone and pay 400 for it then give me 400 then we both will be happy. I understand people have apps they use but if it works on Windows 10 then it should work on this phone. Nurse was setting up appointment for next home visit and was fiddling with settings on her IPhone to set it up and after I had time and date I told Cortana information and she stated information was set on my calendar. Not only on the phone but PC as well as Laptop. Nurse asked me what type of phone I had so I show her. She claimed to hear nothing but negative things about windows phone but was shocked how quick and easy it was to set up appointment on all my Windows devices. I think all the negatives out there are reason Windows Phone is failing not the features.

Actually, I also love the 640 with the current Win 10 Anniversary Update (Insider Pre release). It has been my daily driver for 9 mo.

I did, however, recently picked up a 950 on eBay at a pretty good price. There are a couple reason I sprang for the 950. I take a lot of pictures and really wanted a better camera. The 950 camera is AMAZING! The Galaxy S7 approaches the 950 in picture quality but it is still not as good (20mp vs 12mp). And the S7 goes for $6-700. I got the 950 for a fraction of that.

Other features of the 950 I like: slightly bigger, high res, OLED display; fast charging; generally faster response but the 640 is no slouch; 32 GB memory so I can save all my apps on the main memory; possibility of using Continuum.

If a person doesn't really need these kind of features the 640 is great choice. Or even now the 650 since cricket has it for $50.

Last edited:

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
The 640 i think was one of the best budget phones ever for the price vs specs. Still use mine as a backup device and entertainment (Netflix and Kindle) fit myself, and a educational gaming device for my 4 year old.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The 640 i think was one of the best budget phones ever

I agree:
Even at $99.00 for the T-Mobile version from Walmart I was amazed.

When Stephen Elop held the device over his head at MWC 2015 and announced to everyone buying the the 640 would get a free year of O365 I had to have it.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Those were the good old days Jim! :)

I havent had it from last year though. I got all of them earlier this year. Around February/March. Around the time when BestBuy was liquidating its stocks with the 30 buck promotional offer et al. And all four of them are still primary phones for my family excepting mine. And mine is the only one WM10, the other three are all still on WP8.1. :( I am on WM10 because... well. Me. And everyone else is on WP8.1 because they either dont care, or WP8.1. as it is, still fits all the bills for their needs. My mother's 640 is used for phone calls, and the occasional WhatsApp and Skype. My Sister's for Mapping, WhatsApp, Reading, Books, some internet, the rare picture and the like. My Brother in law's for his WhatsApp, phone calls, pictures and videos, and games. ^_^

And mine, well, its a transformer. Mine is a super powered feature phone, used primarily only for calls, and texts. And the ilk. Able to transform at the press of a button. ^_^ :)

All use cases have remained static/similar. Over the course of the last half year or so. :)

-- W

2526b

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
I have used a 640 as a replacement to my 635 through Cricket (ATT) for over a year and continue to do so. I am now looking into the 650 that Cricket now has offered at a great price of $50.00.

As an adult, not interested in fad games, tons of social media, etc, these devices are better performing, easier to use (and yes, customize) provide better base cameras, Office integration and many other features not found on Android or iOS.

That said, it is a different device. I read a lot about Windows phone, the "future of Windows phone....death of wp.....market share of wp....app gaps..." On and on.

I love the platform because it is not Android or iOS. To me, it has a fit and function far beyond its price. The platform is great because of what it is, not how close it can try to be like others.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have used a 640 as a replacement to my 635 through Cricket (ATT) for over a year and continue to do so. I am now looking into the 650 that Cricket now has offered at a great price of $50.00.

As an adult, not interested in fad games, tons of social media, etc, these devices are better performing, easier to use (and yes, customize) provide better base cameras, Office integration and many other features not found on Android or iOS.

That said, it is a different device. I read a lot about Windows phone, the "future of Windows phone....death of wp.....market share of wp....app gaps..." On and on.

I love the platform because it is not Android or iOS. To me, it has a fit and function far beyond its price. The platform is great because of what it is, not how close it can try to be like others.

Same here except that:
1. I started on AT&T and went to Cricket after I was on the 640 for a while. Unlocked it and moved.
2. I have no plans to downgrade my 640 to a 650. The 650, while thinner, lighter, and prettier, is a touch slower and without the same battery performance. My 640 is still like new, so I'll stick with it for probably a year or two.

Everything else is spot on and could have been posted by me. I've even still got 2 Lumia 635s, and both of those are still in use as well. While my wife and I use our 640s as our main driver, my vehicle uses one 635, which is now attached in front of the speedometer, and it is my "replacement speedometer" since the speedometer on the vehicle went south. Using the GPS Speedometer app. For the $19.99 that I paid for that 635, it has saved me several hundred dollars in repairs. ;) The second 635 is used by my 3 year old to watch children's videos like Veggietales, Dora, and Scholastic Video books.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Got mines from Walmart for $99 when they finally released them for tmobile definitely was a great phone. For me I got bored with it the front camera wasn't that good and I wanted a phablet phone with a bigger battery. I ended up getting the 640 XL I've been happier with it but now looking for another upgrade for more internal storage. That's my only complaint about the 640 XL

Sent from mTalk

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I would be, but I'm not. I bought one a year ago for $49.00 at Walmart, T-mobile branded. If they would release the Win10 update, I could see myself using it again. If Microsoft ever announces a great Win10 phone, then releases it within 2 months, I'd probably buy it. Until then, I'm on my iPhone 6s+

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Have you considered the insiders route Nada? I mean you do miss out on the wifi calling and texting. But thats about it. The phone does work swimmingly on WM10 though. Just saying. ^_^

-- W

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would be, but I'm not. I bought one a year ago for $49.00 at Walmart, T-mobile branded. If they would release the Win10 update, I could see myself using it again. If Microsoft ever announces a great Win10 phone, then releases it within 2 months, I'd probably buy it. Until then, I'm on my iPhone 6s+

Keep your eyes peeled for the Alcatel One Touch Idol Pro 4 that should be dropping as a T-Mo exclusive soon. I believe they are just waiting for an RTM of Redstone 1.

Alcatel Idol Pro 4 - Windows Central Forums

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
How do you know about that RumoredNow? Do we have any sauce for that? Because that sure as hell sounds exciting. People have been waiting for a cheaper, alternate flagship since forever now. And the Jade Primo isnt it. Sadly. :(

-- W

SaltCityBoy

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Using it for 13 months now and it's perfect from day 1 until today. I installed W10 on October last year and never had any bigger issues. My next phone will again be some Windows phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been hesitating to post in here because I haven't had my 640 for a year. But others have posted with less than a year in, so what the heck...

I got my Lumia 640 GoPhone in February, 2016 for $30. I like it a LOT. I've used it a lot between then and now. Well almost until now and I'll get back to that.

For what I used it for it is fantastic. It drives great as a daily and gets the job done. Very capable for a budget device. The Lumia Firmware is a great value added package. It is the first and only phone I risked on Insider and it worked great for that too. I have used it to give my 1520 a bit of a well earned rest. It kicked my BLU Win HD LTE out of a backup job. It's a workhorse and a dependable one at that. It might not wow in any one area, but taken in the all-around you really are hard pressed to find a fault.

However, I've always considered it a secondary device and I still am enamored with Lumia 1520.3.

So my 640 has been sitting for the last 3 weeks + as I test a new secondary, the Coship Moly W5. The W5 pleased me and I'm giving it the backup job. I'm still driving that even though I'll likely be back on 1520.3 very soon. I miss that camera and all the horses under the hood.

The 640 will live on!!! I've reset it and set it up so I can pass it on to my mother-in-law to replace her Lumia 635. She'll get a big boost in Camera, Display and RAM. She will also get a Tempered Glass screen protector, 3 backs in different colors (black/green/orange) and a snap on crystal clear case. Should make her happy. :cool:

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
How do you know about that RumoredNow? Do we have any sauce for that? Because that sure as hell sounds exciting. People have been waiting for a cheaper, alternate flagship since forever now. And the Jade Primo isnt it. Sadly. :(

-- W
That has been one of my big complaints about the Windows Mobile ecosystem. W10M now gives me compelling reasons to move away from Android. However the availability of a good mid range device at the mid range price point stops me. While the L640 is great on W10M, compared against the 950 line, you definitely feel the difference in performance. I want that in between option that has made Android a top contender. They have not only low end budget and high end flagship devices, but nearly everything in between. While I don't expect a slew of device options, a mid range at the $300-$400 price point would be the perfect winner for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb