T-Mobile Lumia 640 - No Cellular service after Windows 10 upgrade

WPWeasel

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
So I got tired of waiting for T-Mobile to release their Windows 10 image and decided to upgrade to Windows 10 yesterday. Fast forward past two updates and now I'm on build 10.0.14393.351. Unfortunately, it seems like the upgrade nobbled my cell service. I can see I'm connected to T-Mobile LTE service from the notification area, but I don't think I'm getting any response back from the local tower.

Things are fine connected to WIFI, but I can't send text messages, browse the web using cell data, etc, until I get this issue sorted out. Anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot it further?

EDIT: Basic call functionality is available, but nothing data related. I've also noticed that under the SIM Settings that 'IMS Registration' is enabled, but the IMS Status is showing as 'Unregistered'. I'm guessing that's something to do with my issue.

EDIT 2: Problem resolved. I decided to try and fire up the T-Mobile app on the phone to see if that would make a difference. Oddly enough, it actually did and my IMS status is now set to Registered, with an IMS Identity and IMS Domain set as well

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like 10 changed your APN settings.

If I'm not mistaken IMS is an old multimedia protocol that was never implemented by GSM carriers so that won't be the problem.

It's probably best to look for working T-Mobile APN settings that function under WM10 and enter those.

WPWeasel

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

If I'm not mistaken IMS is an old multimedia protocol that was never implemented by GSM carriers so that won't be the problem.

It's probably best to look for working T-Mobile APN settings that function under WM10 and enter those.

Actually, if you look on the SIM settings page for the IMS service section it states that "when turned off, you won't be able to text, video call or call over 4G LTE". Which essentially describes the issue I was having. The link below describes it in some more detail.

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/134436?start=0&tstart=0

Last edited:

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site

im pretty sure ims registration is required before volte or wifi calling will work

AbeC4

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the message and just curious your experience with the Win 10 upgrade on the Lumia 640 and how you are liking it? Did you update through the Windows Insider Program? And have you lost any functionality like wifi calling, use of the camera, memory issues? that sort of stuff. Any info would be of much help.

Thanks and I too am tired of waiting for T-Mobile to upgrade.

jazman_777

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I like the upgrade, I only had to add an MMS APN to get MMS working.

I don't have wifi calling. To get VoLTE working I find that my IMS is unregistered, and running the T-Mobile app (the new one with lots of magenta) always gets me registered, then VoLTE works.

jcatx03

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by AbeC4
Hi, thanks for the message and just curious your experience with the Win 10 upgrade on the Lumia 640 and how you are liking it? Did you update through the Windows Insider Program? And have you lost any functionality like wifi calling, use of the camera, memory issues? that sort of stuff. Any info would be of much help.

Thanks and I too am tired of waiting for T-Mobile to upgrade.

W10 works great on the L640. I upgraded via Insider program. Only thing I lost (on T-Mobile) was wifi calling, everything else works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss