As windows phones get more powerful, I wonder if I should stop updating Win10 on my 640. Now I have a stable and quick OS, but I worry that it will eventually slow down my lowly 640. Do any of you think it would be a mistake to stop updating win10 on my phone? Currently on Release preview.
    Wan Firas and Jamar Wright like this.
    10-25-2016 10:09 AM
    As windows phones get more powerful, I wonder if I should stop updating Win10 on my 640. Now I have a stable and quick OS, but I worry that it will eventually slow down my lowly 640. Do any of you think it would be a mistake to stop updating win10 on my phone? Currently on Release preview.
    10-25-2016 10:11 AM
    It's up to you. As long as you are on Windows 10, it will keep prompting you to install updates. If you have the big update that came out in August, you can choose to not update after that and you'll be fine. Some apps don't work on system versions older than the Anniversary Update (the August update).

In my experience, it's been very slow for me, with the occasional annoying bugs so I stopped out of frustration and annoyance together, and I got myself a native Windows 10 Mobile phone.
    10-25-2016 10:44 AM
    I have the AU update. For the most part it works well. I don't ask much from a phone. Email, light web browsing, music, and navigation. Oh yes, phone calls . The budget won't allow for for a 950, sigh.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-25-2016 11:02 AM
    I think phones have gotten powerful enough to where older hardware can keep up with today's software reasonably well. (e.g. the 920 can compete with the 640 in raw number crunching and the Galaxy S II is still kicking with custom ROMs)

I'm pretty sure you can't stop updates on 10 anyway.

OP: Please do not create duplicate threads, thanks.
    Last edited by xandros9; 10-25-2016 at 11:18 AM.
    libra89 and abhishek singh21 like this.
    10-25-2016 11:02 AM
    The 640 is old in phone years. The 950 and most newer windows phones sport much higher hardware. The reason I duplicated threads is to reach a wider audience, as the 640 and 640 xl are running the same processor and ram.
    10-25-2016 02:07 PM
    The 640 is old in phone years. The 950 and most newer windows phones sport much higher hardware. The reason I duplicated threads is to reach a wider audience, as the 640 and 640 xl are running the same processor and ram.
    Well, the 640 was released in mid-2015 which is only just over a year ago, hardly old in phone years! I don't expect W10M to really slow down, I just expect Microsoft to drop the phone arbitrarily honestly.

Most people don't confine themselves to one subforum and don't venture out. I know I personally keep hitting New Posts to see whats new all over the place. Duplicating discussions like that may make sense but they only serve to split up discussions and contribute to clutter.

Also the 830, 730/5 and 1 GB 630-series phones share the same core loadout too. But that makes sense, we just discourage cross-posting like that so bear with us!
    libra89 and mark233 like this.
    10-25-2016 03:32 PM
    Love to you. This is one of the few places I can find information on my phone, along with intelligent conversation and answers. I am honored to be a part of this. Thank you, Audra
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-25-2016 08:42 PM
    But really, I am on the AU update. The phone works well. Is there better to come for the lowly 640, or should I be happy with what I have? IN YOUR OPINION, SHOULD I STOP THE WIN10 MOBILE UPDATES ON A LUMIA 640?
    10-25-2016 10:50 PM
    But really, I am on the AU update. The phone works well. Is there better to come for the lowly 640, or should I be happy with what I have? IN YOUR OPINION, SHOULD I STOP THE WIN10 MOBILE UPDATES ON A LUMIA 640?
    1. I have no clue what Microsoft has in store for the future, I would expect cooler features though eventually.
    2. YOU CAN'T STOP THE UPDATES.
    libra89 and abhishek singh21 like this.
    10-26-2016 12:38 AM
    1. I have no clue what Microsoft has in store for the future, I would expect cooler features though eventually.
    2. YOU CAN'T STOP THE UPDATES.
    This is true, but you can choose not to install them, like what I'm doing with iOS 10 lol.
    phuqit likes this.
    10-26-2016 08:07 AM
    I guess I'll roll with them a while longer. There are native Win 10 phones out there with similar specs, so the 640 ought to handle anything released in the near future. For what many think is a dead platform, they are doing a lot of work on the code. I do really like this phone and hope it's useable for a long time. Thanks for your patience.
    10-26-2016 08:18 AM
    This is true, but you can choose not to install them, like what I'm doing with iOS 10 lol.
    Well, you're only given the option to either let the phone update and restart automatically or update and ask you when to schedule it so...

I guess I'll roll with them a while longer. There are native Win 10 phones out there with similar specs, so the 640 ought to handle anything released in the near future. For what many think is a dead platform, they are doing a lot of work on the code. I do really like this phone and hope it's useable for a long time. Thanks for your patience.
    I believe that Microsoft will cut off the phone long before its hardware would be considered too weak or too old so no worries.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-26-2016 11:31 AM
    Hi! I know updates can cause problems, but IMHO they get a bad rap. Here's my thoughts. Please remember Windows has a reason for these patches most of the time.
    You really don't have a option with W10. Patches Should Be Installed as Soon As Possible

You often need to patch security problems as soon as possible to fix whatever the problem is. After a patch is released, the security hole becomes public knowledge if it wasnt already. Attackers now know the problem and can rush to start exploiting it as soon as possible before people update. Attackers know business and home users are often slow to update, and they can wreak some havoc in the time before people patch.

Just selecting manually install updates and installing updates when you remember to do so isnt really good enough. You want Windows Update to install those updates for you automatically. For software like your web browser and browser plug-ins, you also want to leave automatic updates enabled thankfully, thats the default these days. If you disable automatic updates for Firefox, Flash, Adobe Reader, or other important software, you should go turn them back on right now.
    phuqit likes this.
    10-27-2016 12:06 AM