Lumia 640,phone doesn't recognize proper memory size

StayClassy101

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, I hope all I well.
I recently purchased both a Lumia 650 and Lumia 640. The l650 lately because its been a while and wanted to check on the progressive development of wm10 and the Lumia 640 because I miss the wp8.1 software. However, I'm having a problem with the SD card in my Lumia 640 which is 64gb. The phone says the card only has a 15mb capacity. I've tries formatting it and taking it out and putting it back to no avail. Any ideas?

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Maybe try to insert a different SD card, it to try to insert that SD card into another device. I would assume it's because if the card being faulty.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

StayClassy101

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
When I install it in the Lumia 650, it reads as 64gb with 59.xxgb free after formatting. I put it back in the 640 and it reads again as 15mb. I don't understand it.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Then I have no idea what that might be about. Maybe some compatibility issue, perhaps it would work worth another SD card, I would try that. If the problem persists, then it's about the phone itself, and you could replace it I hope. The best would be if that other SD card works with the phone. Sorry for not being too much helpful thought.

But maybe somebody else comes who knows better than me.

StayClassy101

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate any input. Thank you very much. I'll have to buy another SD card to try that. Hopefully it works out that way. Maybe someone will know if maybe its the card class type or a brand that is compatible with the 640.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Class 10 should definitely work. And I'm not sure which brand I have in my Lumia 532, but I'd say it's a SanDisk or Kingstone, I'm not sure.

But see if you can go to the store where you bought the SD card, and just say that in your phone you get this 15MB error, and ask them to try with another SD card. Or, you can go where you bought your Lumia 640, and ask them the same thing. (As I got it, I bought the Lumia 640 recently, in which case it may be better to go to that same store first.)

StayClassy101

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
So I updated the Lumia 640 to w10m even tho I wanted A wp8.1 but the memory card issues are gone and it recognize it as 64gb. I think it must have been a bug in wp8.1.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Glad to hear you found a solution, though it wasn't what you were hoping for. Maybe you would have gotten the same thing with Windows Device Recovery Tool and reinstalling the phone software, but who knows. One tip, I hope that you did a hard reset while you were on 1511 version of Windows 10, and avoid doing hard reset after you've got the 1607 version of Windows 10. And avoid joining insider program unless you want exactly that. After a hard reset on 1607 your Calendars lives tile may stop refreshing automatically, and you would have to do it manually, and even when you leave the insider program, you would still get app updates as if you were still in that same insider channel. That is - until you use the Windows Device Recovery Tool again.

Regarding Windows Phone 8.1, it has less and less apps by the time. Soon it's not going to have Skype, and I already doesn't have Tapatalk nor mTalk which we use for visiting forum like this.

Oh, and the Facebook app, they say that the Facebooks version of the app is crap, so you may want to try to keep the Microsofts version by not letting the apps to update automatically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos