Is my 640 Lumia dead or is there a trick I missed?

JR Mann

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
I tried to update my unlocked Lumia 640 to Win 10 today. It was caught in the reboot loop for about an hour. So I tried the hard reset and that did nothing. I then tried using the Device Recovery Tool.

During that apparently the phone went into the restart loop and now the phone is dead, except when I hold the down volume and power button for 2 minutes. Windows sees the phone as a QHSUSB_BULK Device but the emergency flash fails? It starts a log and then just stops working for some reason, I can't understand. Although I did notice that once during the flash the phone disappeared from the USB listings.

I have tried the emergency flash after leaving the battery out for an hour as suggested on some sites. I have tried with no sim card. I have tried with no sd card. I have tried without either card. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the recovery software...?

Since it is unlocked I didn't try it with the sim that came from AT&T as I don't want the phone to be locked with AT&T again.... Even though I have still have the original code sent from AT&T, but have no idea if that would unlock the phone again?

So is there some trick I have missed or do I start shopping for a new phone?

Last edited:

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
You have managed to hard brick your device.

presence of a SIM wont effect the firmware flash in any way. Sometimes memory cards do , but you have already removed it.

in my opinion you will have to visit Microsoft care to fix this.

JR Mann

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
You have managed to hard brick your device.

presence of a SIM wont effect the firmware flash in any way. Sometimes memory cards do , but you have already removed it.

in my opinion you will have to visit Microsoft care to fix this.

I was afraid I had hard bricked it.... thanks for confirming it.

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Maybe a little late but I got this exact problem+ cause of it and even around the same time as you (coincidence?) they told me when in this state (Q-husb bulk) the bootloader got ****ed up. Only thing to save the phone is to physically shoot a new bootloader into the motherboard of the phone. (that's what they did with mine )

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by arjan wolthuis
Maybe a little late but I got this exact problem+ cause of it and even around the same time as you (coincidence?) they told me when in this state (Q-husb bulk) the bootloader got ****ed up. Only thing to save the phone is to physically shoot a new bootloader into the motherboard of the phone. (that's what they did with mine )

And because of the -bulk state. The emergency flash doesn't work because it can't find were the bootloader is located in the UEFI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb