repurposing lumia 640's

phuqit

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
LOL, during the fire sales I stocked up. I have 2 640 xl's and 3 640's. Great phones but getting dated. As 3 of the 5 phones are still nearly unused and all nearly obsolete, how can I get use out of these phones without using them as phones?
MP3 player comes to mind, they do sound good with my klipsch earphones.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
LOL, during the fire sales I stocked up. I have 2 640 xl's and 3 640's. Great phones but getting dated. As 3 of the 5 phones are still nearly unused and all nearly obsolete, how can I get use out of these phones without using them as phones?

If they are on Windows 8.1, you can download HERE Maps to your phone and just use it offline.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here are some options that come to mind.

1. Sell them. They're still worth something and I know there's some amount of demand.

2. Media player is an idea you already had.

3. Libra89 covered the offline GPS aspect.

4. Perhaps as a dedicated alarm clock, music player somewhere like in the car?

5. Their cameras aren't earth-shaking but they're still competent.

6. Gift to a kid who likes fiddling with the stuff?

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
What all would be needed to make them an "entertainment center" for your car? Like, a ghetto Android Auto, lol. I was thinking the other day that it would be nice to have rear monitors for the kids, that are tied into a tablet or phone. Then you could easily control what they have on their screen etc, while easily controlling the audio, starting and stopping, etc. from the front seat. We have a rear seat DVD setup in our Jeep, and a factory screen in our Trailblazer. I'm selling the Trailblazer, so I'm trying to decide what to setup in my truck to keep the little ones quiet while out an about. I may just go with the aftermarket DVD setup like our Jeep has, but they don't seem reliable. We've gone through 2, and the Jeep is only 5 yrs old. And like I said, you're relying on a small child to run the thing, or your spouse has to mess up their back to run it.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Well, I can tell you what I did with a couple of phones I replaced:

The Xperia Z3 Compact I got when Nokia left WP and I jumped ship is now a dedicated music player. You can do the same with the L640 easily ;)

The Nokia 930 (and then the L950 I was given) I use as dedicated Xbox Live gaming machines. I have loaded the phones with Xbox Live WP games and I use them on the go when I want to pass the time (thus sparing the battery of my real daily driver).

So there you have at least 2 ideas for those 3 phones.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to convert my old phones to be dash cams of some sort.... thinking it a while just haven't done anything about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3