The Lumia 650 is a downgrade from the 640

ElChozoLoco

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
By the look of the specs (Snapdragon 210, 2000Mah, and a 5.0in 294ppi) it's literally a downgrade from the 640. Nothing at all is better, and half the stuff is actually worse. Why would anyone buy this as an upgrade from the infamous 640?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
infamous 640

More like Justly Famous 640. Heck of a value phone...

Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE vs. Microsoft Lumia 650 - GSMArena.com

The screen would be the very same.
The rear camera would be the very same and a bump up in the FFC from 1MP to 5MP.
The same internal storage, RAM and SD slot.
The same connectivity with an advance from BT 4.0 to BT 4.1.

The 210 is a year newer than the 400 and they are are clocked similarly between the two phones with a slight CPU/GPU decrease in the 210 vs the way the 400 was used in the Lumia 640.

Now look at it next to the Lumia 550.

Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE vs. Microsoft Lumia 650 vs. Microsoft Lumia 550 - GSMArena.com

It's a 550 with upgraded camera front and rear and a (IMHO) better design language. That's the upgrade picture. Lumia 550 vs Lumia 650 in a current retail setting.

Last edited:

ElChozoLoco

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
still, the 640 is infamous, and better than the 650 (which is a downgrade due to battery and CPU). The 640 also looks a lot nicer. Bluetooth 4.1 doesnt really matter at all, and the upgraded FFC is only good for certain people (I dont take selfies).

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
still, the 640 is infamous, and better than the 650 (which is a downgrade due to battery and CPU). The 640 also looks a lot nicer. Bluetooth 4.1 doesnt really matter at all, and the upgraded FFC is only good for certain people (I dont take selfies).

you keep using that word. I'm not sure it means what you think it means.

Last edited:

Pirate Arr

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes it's a massive downgrade with a lower end chip set same ram and storage with a massive decrease in battery life. If only it had a 410 or other 400 iteration. You wanna buy good phones at that price point go Android since Microsoft doesn't know how to make a true mid ranger. What is it with American corporations especially when you compare Chinese and other Europeans ones that make a low end priced device with high end specs.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my Lumia 950 XL

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes it's a massive downgrade with a lower end chip set same ram and storage with a massive decrease in battery life. If only it had a 410 or other 400 iteration. You wanna buy good phones at that price point go Android since Microsoft doesn't know how to make a true mid ranger. What is it with American corporations especially when you compare Chinese and other Europeans ones that make a low end priced device with high end specs.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my Lumia 950 XL

Yes, android has low end devices with high end specs and below par performance. Worse than the low end phones on other platforms.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't quote me but I heard someone saying somewhere that the 210 is in the performance ballpark of the 400 yet is more power efficient, so that might be something to take into account.

So yea, I really want to wait for benchmarks and such.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Don't quote me but I heard someone saying somewhere that the 210 is in the performance ballpark of the 400 yet is more power efficient, so that might be something to take into account.

So yea, I really want to wait for benchmarks and such.

I heard that somewhere too, but still less powerful and people will question why they should pay the same or more for a less capable device (including me). Why not maybe a little bit better of a screen, or 2 gigs of ram - or even a better idea - a SD 410? You would think a 2500 mah battery at the very least. It's hard to get excited over the 640's successor when the specs have taken a step backwards.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
This is Microsoft after all. Perhaps they were originally going to give this a number below the 640 only to remember they already had phones called the 630 and 635 lol

lazybum131

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
They're repeating the mistake Nokia did after the Lumia 520. They had an awesome value phone and now they're squandering the progress they made by putting out a side-grade while the competition continues to improve and erode their value advantage.

The 550 and 650 shouldn't exist together in the first place. The 535 was already a 5" phone, The soon to be 650 should've been the 550, and that's all they should have released as a low end 'small' phone (they should have then also had a 550XL as a budget phablet). I'd wager if they only made the '650' model, the savings (no R&D for the second model, no separate logistics and marketing involved, etc.) would have offset the lower profit margin of selling a slightly better spec'ed phone at the cheaper price. As it is the only difference between 550 and 650 is 0.3" of screen size and slightly better cameras. Makes no sense at all.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
They're repeating the mistake Nokia did after the Lumia 520. They had an awesome value phone and now they're squandering the progress they made by putting out a side-grade while the competition continues to improve and erode their value advantage.
That was my feeling as well, considering I originally came to Windows Phone via the 521. It seemed like they didn't capitalize on the momentum generated by that phone. The Lumia 640 for me is the spiritual successor to the 521 but it's effect too, seems to have been shorted lived, at least on T-Mobile anyway.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
By the look of the specs (Snapdragon 210, 2000Mah, and a 5.0in 294ppi) it's literally a downgrade from the 640. Nothing at all is better, and half the stuff is actually worse. Why would anyone buy this as an upgrade from the infamous 640?

the front camera and front facing speakers are better. I wouldn't necessarily say nothing is better but its definitely not worth upgrading

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
the front camera and front facing speakers are better. I wouldn't necessarily say nothing is better but its definitely not worth upgrading

Sent from mTalk

Valid point, but I'm looking forward to that difference, and also having it unlocked. I kind of wish MS sold the 640 unlocked.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Valid point, but I'm looking forward to that difference, and also having it unlocked. I kind of wish MS sold the 640 unlocked.
Considering the odd specs, I often wonder if the 650 was originally meant to be a lower end phone like the 550, but Microsoft wanted to try and capitalize on the good reception of the 640 by association and so renamed it.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it's funny that Blu offers an SD410 in the WIN HD LTE. They've offered that since last year and it's a $200 factory unlocked phone.

Yeah but they just buy from a random Chinese factory ODM. Microsoft likely has had a deal to exclusively vacuum up and use all of Qualcomm's sloppy overstocked chips...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb