The Lumia 650 is a downgrade from the 640

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
From the SPEC SD212 is about 8% faster in CPU than THE SD400 on 640 (due to lower CPU clock speed) yet about 12% slower in GPU compared to SD400/410 (also due to the clock speed). Maybe is provide on par level of performance but it's a relatively downgrade cos 1)every player on the market are moving forward 2)W10M ready devices are mean to be prepared for the future UWP apps and extend application capability (more raw power needed). So putting a device with same level of performance at same category (6 series) ONE YEAR LATER is a downgrade to me.

In fact, I think the Lumia 550/650 should be put into 550/552 or even 450/452 and pack those SD616/617/650 into some 5/6 series product. Using sub-flagship SoC for the sub-flagship 8 series will make the whole product line sexier and more cost-effective to the public. They really should cut off the old NOKIA habbit.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
By the look of the specs (Snapdragon 210, 2000Mah, and a 5.0in 294ppi) it's literally a downgrade from the 640. Nothing at all is better, and half the stuff is actually worse. Why would anyone buy this as an upgrade from the infamous 640?

Actually Lumia 650 has Snapdragon 212 processor

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me? Does nobody care that it actually comes with a working version of Windows 10? I've been running the preview on my Lumia 925 for a few months now and it's really unstable. Of course it is, it's a preview. But having a working 10 would be enough for me at this price. The thing is, yeah it's supposed to be coming for all phones but we've been waiting since December, then they said February. Ok, so now we're in mid-February... um... so... you know what I mean? And even then, I imagine most of us will just find that it's super laggy on older phones and will end up going for a new phone anyway.

Even if the 650 isn't perfect, it's better than what's out there now in a Windows 10 phone at price regular people can afford. What's wrong with that? No continuum, gimme a break, you can't save your document to OneDrive and continue on the laptop or desktop later? Since when has saving and reopening on another device been a big deal? I just don't get the whining. I just get tired of all the constant complaining based on what other phones have. Not everything newer has to be better. Does it? It's just, 'another', not 'the next one that's better'. This industry has us eating out of the palms of their hands changing our expectations. Who says it has to be better than before and if it isn't why is that so horrible? Don't like it, ignore it. It's not like their forcing it on you.

The only thing that stops me from getting the 650 is wondering what other 3rd party manufacturer is gonna try to make one. Because if there are Asus, LG, or HTC phones around the corner, they might have individual features worth waiting for. But I don't think we'll see anything this cheap and in the end, I think it'll end up looking like the best all round phone for the money for people like me who don't care about apps.

Last edited:

Aziz Abdurachman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Is it really come without Compass/Magnetometer? Oh my...
What about SensorCore? Is it possible to put it on SD212? While 640 & 630 have it but 650 don't? Why?
One more thing, Dolby Headphone, does 650 have it?

Ricardo Raimundo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I have a 630 (SD400) and my wife has a 535 (SD200) and my wife's phone it's so much more fluid! Why? RAM!

My point is, if the SD200 runs so much smother than the SD400 just because of RAM, is this SD212 a bad processor?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's the number.

212 is less than 415 so it is 203% less better. :winktongue:

Although seriously it does loose out on SensorCore which is awesome with Gestures and Step Counter.

lazybum131

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
As a Windows Phone/Mobile fan what irks me about the low-end specs is it presents a disappointing lack of effort and drive on Microsoft's part towards their own platform. It means until next-gen next year, the quad-core A7 w/ 1GB ram combo will have been Microsoft's low-to-midrange performance offering for nearly three years.

I've watched several youtube reviews on the Lumia 650 today and they are actually overall pretty positive! Reviewers have found it is competitive /despite/ the low-end Snapdragon 212, but when Windows mobile is struggling the Lumia 650 needs to be class-leading not just competitive. At the very least it should have had a SD410 w/2GB of ram so as not to lose features and have a healthy performance boost compared to the Lumia 640. And when compared to competing Android phones at the same price point, it would not have been outrageous to see a SD617 processor, not if Microsoft was serious about turning things around with W10m. Microsoft would have a compelling device if it had a real mid-range processor and Continuum, as it is I have no idea who they are trying to sell this to and who would actually buy it over other devices.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I have a 630 (SD400) and my wife has a 535 (SD200) and my wife's phone it's so much more fluid! Why? RAM!

My point is, if the SD200 runs so much smother than the SD400 just because of RAM, is this SD212 a bad processor?

Nah, it just means this platform need at least 1GB RAM to fly and how awkward the 512MB strategy MSFT had used.

Can I give some nice SSD to a cheap celeron and claim it's a "not bad" processor against a i7 with slow HDD just because mine boots up and loading apps faster than the other one?

xaeryan

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
The AMOLED screen, thinner, lighter, higher quality looking, front facing speakers (thank goodness), Windows 10 (for the uninitiated who don't know how to get it through Insider).
Jury is out on 212 vs 410 until we see benchmarks, but as I see it that would be the only potential downgrade. Well, and price, but the 640 was not as cheap as it is now when it came out.

taylerdo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft Needs a Less Confusing Strategy

The classic technology path over time sets 1) price points, and 2) technical specs to meet each price point.

With every passing year, newer / better technology is introduced at the flagship level, last year's flagship specs are ratcheted down a notch to the next lower price point, and the specs on the bottom rung are dropped and replaced with those of the rung above, from the prior year.

Very simple. People "get" it. Not confusing at all.

Microsoft has lost sight of this.

Price point $$$: 950 should have been like the HP Elite X3;
Price point $$: 750, which is misnamed the 950, for some confusing reason;
Price point $: 550, which is misnamed the 650, for some confusing reason.

The 550, as it stands, should never have existed.

Then next year, simply introduce new flagship specs for the 950, ratchet specs down a notch for everything below it to the next lower price point, and hit those same price points. Clean and simple. Instead of a confusing disaster area. Make them all halfway decent looking, too (plastic on a 950, with a cool back cover on the 650 ? Really ? WHAT THE H IS GOING ON ???)

Microsoft should stop blasting away at the feet it needs to climb onward and upward.

Just my 2?

Don

Last edited:

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious about the 640. In comparing the specs of the two phones, it is rather alarming how similar they are but I don't believe that makes the 650 pointless. In any event, what are the chances the 640 gets Windows 10 any time soon and also runs perfectly with it? People have to keep in mind that people like me, with a Lumia 925, will never be able to afford the 950. Not gonna happen. Not even on a 2-yr plan. And with everything I hear about its problems, I'm not sure I'd want one for that price anyway. I played with a 650 today in a store here in Paris and it looks like it would give me exactly what I'd want... Windows 10, a great feeling/looking phone, super smooth with all the Office connectivity I love about Windows phone. And all of that in a new device with a removable battery, microSD storage, for 225€. That's a LOT of advantages, again, for someone with my budget. Would I like more MP on the camera? Sure. But I'd much rather spend 225 on the phone, and another 200 on a point and shoot with amazing specs and actual camera optics than blow 600 on the Lumia 950 that is out now but has no assurance of being supported for years to come. For all we know, MS just put it out to put it out and will forget all about it like they did with most of the Lumia line. For all we know, by next year, it'll be an HTC and an Asus that are the two best Windows phones.
Anyway, my question to people is, if I do get a 640 (much much cheaper right now) what's the deal on it getting Windows 10?

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Anyway, my question to people is, if I do get a 640 (much much cheaper right now) what's the deal on it getting Windows 10?
The 640 and the XL of it has been marketed as "upgradable to Windows 10" when available, probably since it started to have a worldwide release. I don't think you lose much unless you'll want that native Win 10 Mobile experience.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The 640 and the XL of it has been marketed as "upgradable to Windows 10" when available, probably since it started to have a worldwide release. I don't think you lose much unless you'll want that native Win 10 Mobile experience.
And what exactly would that difference be? Is there a list somewhere of what will be different between the native 650 experience or the upgraded 640, 925, etc experience?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
And what exactly would that difference be? Is there a list somewhere of what will be different between the native 650 experience or the upgraded 640, 925, etc experience?

I don't know actually. From what I hear on the forums, double tap to turn off the screen and also to turn it on is only present in the upgraded Lumias since it's missing in the phones with native W10M. One of those things are present but not the other. Additionally, I think rich capture is only in some Lumias. From my understanding, if you was to upgrade a 730/735, you don't gain rich capture just for upgrading. However, the x50 series has it built in already.

It's probably little things, but I don't know if there's a list somewhere. Also, I'm not sure where you are in the world, but if you buy a 640 with a carrier lock, it may or may not be upgraded officially. With W10M, at least MS controls the software.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo