The Lumia 650 is a downgrade from the 640

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
From my own observations, W10M needs minimum 2GB of RAM to work as fluid as 1GB ran on 8.1.
When you say it can't work as fluid, do you mean it can't run without crashing or stalling for more than a second when running office, youtube, or edge? Or do you mean when watching high bitrate codec videos, playing games, and other graphically intense things? I just want to get a gauge to help me judge this RAM element, because I often find entire threads will go on for pages with people talking about different performance experiences in their use without saying what their use entails.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When you say it can't work as fluid, do you mean it can't run without crashing or stalling for more than a second when running office, youtube, or edge? Or do you mean when watching high bitrate codec videos, playing games, and other graphically intense things? I just want to get a gauge to help me judge this RAM element, because I often find entire threads will go on for pages with people talking about different performance experiences in their use without saying what their use entails.
I don't game or use Photoshop. My use is mostly Office apps and normal web browsing, etc. To this end, devices with 1GB have proven to be less responsive, struggle with app switching and sometimes encounter scrolling issues. I haven't noticed any app crashes or reboots, but sluggishness does manifest sometimes. The devices I've used have been the Lumia 640, 640 XL, 925 and 920 as well as the Blu Win HD LTE.

Meanwhile, I've noticed little if any of these issues with the Lumia 1520, Samsung Ativ SE or the HTC One M8. In fact, I'd say the M8 is the best of the bunch as far as raw performance with the SE a close second. I'm not talking about apps or features, just performance. I've never used the Icon but I would assume it's on par with the 1520. If not better due to the smaller display.

Terrigno

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I have the 650 now. By no way is it a downgrade to the 640. Better screen. Runs just about the same. AMOLED is fantastic. A lot lighter. Better design and cameras. More storage. A downgrade? Learn your tech please.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by fatclue_98
Originally Posted by tpapictures
I don't game or use Photoshop. My use is mostly Office apps and normal web browsing, etc. To this end, devices with 1GB have proven to be less responsive, struggle with app switching and sometimes encounter scrolling issues. I haven't noticed any app crashes or reboots, but sluggishness does manifest sometimes. The devices I've used have been the Lumia 640, 640 XL, 925 and 920 as well as the Blu Win HD LTE.

Meanwhile, I've noticed little if any of these issues with the Lumia 1520, Samsung Ativ SE or the HTC One M8. In fact, I'd say the M8 is the best of the bunch as far as raw performance with the SE a close second. I'm not talking about apps or features, just performance. I've never used the Icon but I would assume it's on par with the 1520. If not better due to the smaller display.

Lol at the m8, but all of those phones you used with better experiences with have something in common. They are all flagships with significantly faster processors.

My OneTouch xl, has double ram and the 210 processor and it runs far more stable than my 640 xl it seems. Though the 640 xl wasn't too bad. Just crashed a little more than this OneTouch has.

That said I don't think that it needs 2 gb of ram to run. The newer builds have made performance better and I think it needs to be further optimized. This is not android where you need you need super specs for the best performance.

Last edited:

Ricardo Raimundo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
About the RAM concern.
The only thing I can complain is multi tasking. Usually when I jump between apps the background app takes significant time to resume. Almost as long as when I open it the first time. Also apps take longer to open.
I'm talking about my 512MB RAM Lumia 630!
The experience is THE SAME as with 8.1!
So no, 2GB IT'S NOT the minimum to run W10m.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the 650 now. By no way is it a downgrade to the 640. Better screen. Runs just about the same. AMOLED is fantastic. A lot lighter. Better design and cameras. More storage. A downgrade? Learn your tech please.

Gaming wise how does it compare to the 640?
If it at least the matches the 640 in terms of graphics then I guess it should be fine.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Gaming wise how does it compare to the 640?
If it at least the matches the 640 in terms of graphics then I guess it should be fine.

In terms of graphics and gaming, Lumia 640 with Adreno 305 GPU at 450 Mhz would be a little better than Lumia 650 with Adreno 304 GPU at 400 Mhz, but not a significant difference for gaming and graphics department among these two smartphones; both GPUs (aka Adreno 304 & 305) are low end for gaming.

WalrusTangerine

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I have no idea why everyone keeps saying it's a downgrade. Processor, screen, design are all better than on the 640. The battery is really the only thing I can see to complain about.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not asking MS to put in the latest and fastest, but MS downgrading of hardware is really.....

The chips aren't a downgrade, a sidegrade. Similar performance, more efficient.
If the name was all the mattered, maybe Microsoft should've added an extra zero to their Lumia's and watched them fly.

The Lumia 9500. 10.215 times better than the previous model!

I'm kidding of course, but actually it isn't a downgrade. It sounds bad, but it isn't. A Core i3 is better than a Pentium 4 you know! :)

I have no idea why everyone keeps saying it's a downgrade. Processor, screen, design are all better than on the 640. The battery is really the only thing I can see to complain about.

^

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Basically MS don't know or care how to run a mobile business.

What bothers me a bit is the way people look at this phone. From a consumer perspective, this phone is not a good deal. But this phone is meant for business use. Why is 90% of the people in this thread comparing this phone with consumer devices? Thats an entirely different market. Business phones aren't meant to game on for example.

A device like this has to be durable, cheap and just "work". The 640 is EOL and its cheaper/easier to just get a new device that has support for another few years. Upgrading every phone is a PITA as a business and very time consuming.

We run Lumia's ranging from 630 to 930's here and all we do is make phone calls, use our agenda/calendar for meetings and some texting. Why would you need unnecessary buffed specs for high gaming performance (seriously guys? seriously?) that ramps up the price if you need the phone for basic tasks?

And if thats not good enough for your business? Well, there's other option out there. MS doesn't want to cannibalize it's OEMS like it did during the Nokia days (even though that was unavoidable). They said they make a 950 line for the Fans, a 550 for the budget minded and a 650 for the business users.

So please stop complaining that this device is not worth the money - because if you're a consumer, you're absolutely right. As a business user, this phone ticks all the needed boxes.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I picked up this handset yesterday. I own a 950XL as my daily driver. My ten cents: It is definitely NOT a downgrade from the 640 (yep,had one of those). Performance is...well I can't tell any difference. The higher clock speed of the 212 keeps things ticking along nicely. Microsoft have done a good job optimising the experience. Everything is nice and smooth with minimal stutter. The camera is just plain better than the 640s and the display is much better. 16gb storage...yep better and the in hand feel and build quality is also superior. I paid ?150 for mine and consider it much better value than my 950XL which cost three times as much. Colour me impressed, this is a classy little handset and will please anyone who doesn't require a mega powerful chipset for gaming.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
It could have at least matched the Lumia 640 on the gaming end.

It beats out the 640 on virtually every level but price. Some of us don't give a rats arse about gaming (by the way) but I'm not convinced it's significantly less capable on that front. The SD 212 is a step up from the SD 200. A lot of people here (many who haven't even tried the device) just do some slightly daft math a think...well a 400 must be better than a 212. That's just not the case. I repeat, this is a tidy little handset and a BIG step up from the 640 in many areas (previously outlined). The diamond cut aluminium edge is just sheer class. The back fits tight as a drum too. Best 'in hand' feel of any Lumia imho. I am now looking at my creaky plasticky feeling 950XL thinking, WHY??

Last edited:

DrSARANG MALI

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
It beats out the 640 on virtually every level but price. Some of us don't give a rats arse about gaming (by the way) but I'm not convinced it's significantly less capable on that front. The SD 212 is a step up from the SD 200. A lot of people here (many who haven't even tried the device) just do some slightly daft math a think...well a 400 must be better than a 212. That's just not the case. I repeat, this is a tidy little handset and a BIG step up from the 640 in many areas (previously outlined). The diamond cut aluminium edge is just sheer class. The back fits tight as a drum too. Best 'in hand' feel of any Lumia imho. I am now looking at my creaky plasticky feeling 950XL thinking, WHY??

Very nicely said. I need this phone, eagerly wainting, all soecifications are ok to me becoz i m not a gaming guy, currently using L1320 but never use for gaming. So Definitely I will buy 650 whenever its available in India.
Thanks Paul for your tips.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I would also add that the battery life is pretty good too. Feels on a par with my 735 despite the smaller size. This could be down to the newer generation chip or some good optimisation. In any event it should get most users comfortably through the day.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I also bought the 650 (White) for my wife.
I set it up yesterday, and while it was on the charger, and updating 40+ apps, after it was finished, the device DID NOT heat up, at all!

Well, i've seen that different on my 930!

To be honest, I was thinking of giving her my 930, and take the 650 myself!

Also you can see the 650 is a W10 device, and there are a few contradicting settings I have on my 930 (like being able to turn notification for alarms of at 2 locations) not present in the 650, thankfully.

After the device was set-up, I checked for updates and it went from 10586.11 to 10586.164.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos