The Lumia 650 is a downgrade from the 640

shenandoah

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Folks,

These comments are for the dual sim versions of the 650 compared against the 640:

I like the 650 dual sim because:
  • metal frame, supposedly more durable
  • slightly more efficient processor
  • more internal memory
I like the 640 dual sim because:
  • More HSDPA bands (better chance of getting coverage)
  • More LTE bands (the only phone that have more are the 950 and the unlocked iPhone 6)
  • Larger battery
  • Cheaper
Screen resolution is pretty much the same for both (294 ppi vs 297 ppi); size of the phone is the same. Windows 10 comes installed on the 650. It's not a problem to upgrade the 640 to Windows 10 insider.

I would still choose the 640 over the 650 because it has more coverage (HSDPA/LTE bands), larger battery, and is cheaper. Just my opinion.

Eric

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
You didn't mention the display. 650's screen is a cut above the 640...and the front facing camera. Performance is not noticeably different. In hand feel...no competition, 650 all the way. The 640 feels clunky after handling a 650. Finally, the battery life is surprisingly good for the size. In a video playback test it outlasted the latest gen Moto g with nearly 12hrs stamina.

lazybum131

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
What bothers me a bit is the way people look at this phone. From a consumer perspective, this phone is not a good deal. But this phone is meant for business use. Why is 90% of the people in this thread comparing this phone with consumer devices? Thats an entirely different market. Business phones aren't meant to game on for example.

A device like this has to be durable, cheap and just "work". The 640 is EOL and its cheaper/easier to just get a new device that has support for another few years. Upgrading every phone is a PITA as a business and very time consuming.

We run Lumia's ranging from 630 to 930's here and all we do is make phone calls, use our agenda/calendar for meetings and some texting. Why would you need unnecessary buffed specs for high gaming performance (seriously guys? seriously?) that ramps up the price if you need the phone for basic tasks?

And if thats not good enough for your business? Well, there's other option out there. MS doesn't want to cannibalize it's OEMS like it did during the Nokia days (even though that was unavoidable). They said they make a 950 line for the Fans, a 550 for the budget minded and a 650 for the business users.

So please stop complaining that this device is not worth the money - because if you're a consumer, you're absolutely right. As a business user, this phone ticks all the needed boxes.

Just my 2 cents.
Sorry your post has no merit, the 650 is a business phone just because Microsoft says it is? What business features does it have over the Lumia 550? Why would a business choose the 650 over the cheaper 550? All your points would apply for the 650 vs 550 on a cost-benefit analysis: no need for an extra 0.3" of screen real estate), no need for OLED, no need for extra 200MHz CPU, no need for better cameras, no need for 20g less weight or 3mm less thickness. The ONLY difference that I can see that a business would choose the 650 instead is its' user will /need/ the 8GB extra storage and well that's entirely dependent on the use case for that business (and that's assuming they are unwilling to use microSD cards).

The Lumia 650 is stagnation, period. The design may be great but that doesn't excuse Microsoft for releasing it at $199 US with the specs it has. And in a rarity for Canada, Microsoft Canada has already recognized that and is listing it for a more reasonable $199 CDN, which with current exchange rate is ~$150 US.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Folks,

These comments are for the dual sim versions of the 650 compared against the 640:

I like the 650 dual sim because:
  • metal frame, supposedly more durable
  • slightly more efficient processor
  • more internal memory
I like the 640 dual sim because:
  • More HSDPA bands (better chance of getting coverage)
  • More LTE bands (the only phone that have more are the 950 and the unlocked iPhone 6)
  • Larger battery
  • Cheaper
Screen resolution is pretty much the same for both (294 ppi vs 297 ppi); size of the phone is the same. Windows 10 comes installed on the 650. It's not a problem to upgrade the 640 to Windows 10 insider.

I would still choose the 640 over the 650 because it has more coverage (HSDPA/LTE bands), larger battery, and is cheaper. Just my opinion.

Eric
And also Lumia 640 has magnetometer (e-compass) and motion core sensor, which Lumia 650 doesn't have.
Lumia 640 can record Full HD video but Lumia 650 can record only HD video. And, the camera of Lumia 640 is with Backside Illumination(BSI) Sensor and the quality of camera photos taken by Lumia 640 is actually better than that camera photos taken by Lumia 650, as shown by many tech-sites reviews.
Display of Lumia 640 is better than that of Lumia 650 due to full sRGB screen in Lumia 640 vs the Pentile Amoled display of Lumia 650. The brightness level of Lumia 640 screen is very much significantly higher than the brightness level of Lumia 650 screen.

Last edited:

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Do you want to point me to one of the 'many' tech site camera comparisons. You only have to put them side by side to see the 650s screen is better. I know there is s degree of subjectivity here but c'mon it's not even close. I own a 650, and recently sold a 640 so I can actually compare experiences. I suspect many on here comparing the 2 haven't even seen the 650 in the flesh... How about people stop moaning about specs and actually comment on how the phone handles. The staffers on here (Dan etc) have already given their verdict. I kinda agree - it's a pretty decent handset and yes, it's better than the 640 overall in spite of a few omissions. Blurting out spec differences is pointless, it's how it is experienced. Check out the comparisons at Allaboutwindowsphone and Neowin.

Last edited:

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
If I had to choose all over again I'd take the 650 over the 640 every time. If you need more performance for games than I'd say you need to be looking at a Lumia 950, the new acer phone ect.

Terrigno

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I own the 650 and 640. By no way is it a downgrade. The hardware and lightness if this 650 is all the reason to upgrade. Performance to me is the same. Better selfie camera too.

CL4P-TP-007

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
If I had to choose all over again I'd take the 650 over the 640 every time.

I wouldn't. I think the 650 is slightly better overall, but when comparing its price against 640... it's such a huge difference (at the moment) that you could buy 2 or even more 640's depending where you're from.

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't. I think the 650 is slightly better overall, but when comparing its price against 640... it's such a huge difference (at the moment) that you could buy 2 or even more 640's depending where you're from.

Of course if your in the U.S. at this time you can get the att branded for almost nothing. But back when I bought mine I payed way more almost as much as a 650 costs now. If they're priced similarly like in the rest of the world I'd choose the 650.

dubor99

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
The design is better though and the it's the thinest windows phone with 6.9mm and also comes with 16gb rom which unfortunately is the only significant upgrade ober 640/xl

Sent from windows 10 mobile

Johnny Digital

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Can an owner confirm the existence of a magnetometer/compass, or if it's truly missing? IE if you open map app, does the icon that represents you change direction when you rotate the phone?

HSolo

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
My observations indicate that the direction of the icon that represents you changes based off forward motion, and not any compass. Based off GPS movement and not compass at all. Every smart phone I have had that has a compass built in, only rotates the map once it figures out the direction I am moving in.....

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Bummer. How does that affect using the phone for navigation (making turns, ect)?

I don't believe the compass to be critical for turn-by-turn navigation, but it does help keep the map pointed the right way. I do not think it will make a huge difference though. I've navigated with an iPhone 5s and Lumia 920 where the compass wasn't properly calibrated yet, and it wasn't an issue for me.

Hoangboy

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I had my 650 for a few days, so far satisfied with it, my usage a basic as Web, Mail, Chat, casual photo ....

After build 10586.218 update, it's even more stable

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
This has been a great little phone in the week I have had it. Gave my 950 to a good friend. I don't need all that power and besides this 650 operates smoothly with the latest OS update release.
I honestly don't think the 950 was that much better of a performer than this phone. I wasn't blown away by the 950, though it was a fairly fast phone, I liked it a lot ,but this 650 is more my speed. Everything I need and use at what I think is a fair price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo