The Lumia 650 specs released by Microsoft

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The full set of specs have been released by Microsoft, and are now up on the Microsoft Spec page, https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Flumia650%2Fspecifications%2F&token=dpa4baDO

The phone looks rather attractive at the price point.

I did discover why the battery is smaller than the 640 battery. The Lumia 640 is 8.8mm thick, and the Lumia 650 is 6.9mm thick. Seems they have made it quite a bit thinner. They have also lightened the load from 145 grams to 122 grams.

The 650 also has 1.3 mm less on the width dimension compared to the 640, and a slightly smaller bezel on the sides, though it is 0.7 mm taller.

I was hoping for a USB-C connector, but it seems those are being reserved for the high end phones. It is using the Micro-USB connector with USB 2.0 connectivity only.

No wireless charging is available for the device, but it does sport NFC capabilities. Hopefully Microsoft will get NFC payments with Windows 10 Mobile in the near future.

What do you think of the new specs listed on the Microsoft site? (Hint: You'll need to look over those specs linked above to be able to discuss them.)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The 16gb is a true surprise. Otherwise, it's an improvement, excluding the amoled but that's just me. I hope for a stateside version.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds better than the 640.
Thinner and lighter, more attractive and serious design.
100Mhz x4 improvement.
16gb
I wanna see how the camera fares and battery life for under $200 device. the X factor.
I think this is the phone MS wants companies to give to their employees. Giving employees iphones is definitely frivolous spending. They got sales force now they just need some popular tracking app.

Con:
No double tap to wake
no ATT LTE bands (for now)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
XL cancelled or what? because kinda strange if they going to be released separately.

Yes, the XL was cancelled. At least that is my understanding. From the article, On Microsoft's Windows 10 Mobile strategy for 2016 | Windows Central
You can find this:
To the first question, the answer is a resounding 'no'. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella made this clear last July and the cutbacks to the Lumia portfolio, including canceling the Lumia 650 XL, Lumia 750 and Lumia 850, are testaments to that strategy shift.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
650 XL were meant to be mid-range and replace 850, at least what lots of articles said, and device model leaks that said that it is 850 after some time big brother to a 650, 650 XL. Would be really nice to see XL with better Camera, Processor S617 and 1080p screen, more RAM is not that needed.

Last edited:

RayaanP

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
But it is Horrific to market this as business phone & not support Continuum.
Wireless charging Will be supported bu will need a different shell.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a bare-minimum budget device that would be about $150 off-contract. This honestly should be in the Lumia 500 family, not the 600. No wireless charging, no Continuum, no OIS, lowest-level SoC of the current market, IDK how they justify a $200 price tag. The Lumia 640 might be a better phone.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a bare-minimum budget device that would be about $150 off-contract. This honestly should be in the Lumia 500 family, not the 600. No wireless charging, no Continuum, no OIS, lowest-level SoC of the current market, IDK how they justify a $200 price tag. The Lumia 640 might be a better phone.
I think i made the argument with reasons that it is better than the 640. The 640 doesnt have any of those things you mention either. Dont worry about the price for now.
About 9 posts before http://forums.windowscentral.com/lu...650-specs-released-microsoft.html#post3409078.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Sounds better than the 640.
Thinner and lighter, more attractive and serious design.
100Mhz x4 improvement.
16gb
I wanna see how the camera fares and battery life for under $200 device. the X factor.
I think this is the phone MS wants companies to give to their employees. Giving employees iphones is definitely frivolous spending. They got sales force now they just need some popular tracking app.

Con:
No double tap to wake
no ATT LTE bands (for now)

--Design is preference, and I don't like the 650's design. I've never cared for metal bands, and the thing looks too much like an iPhone from the front. I don't like super-rounded corners. Plus, color options are boring, so I'd call the design a negative for the 650, vs. the 640. Thin and light can also mean less durable. I liked the feel of my 920 more than my 950 and its super-squeaky backplate, for example.
--CPU clock speed improvements aren't everything. It looks like the GPU is inferior, and it looks like the RAM might not be improved at all. Overall, the SoC is probably about the same, and given the 650 is a year newer, that's a negative.
--Storage is improved, though 16 GB still isn't enough for many. Since I'd have gotten the 128-GB microSD card in my 950 for either device, it's a slight benefit for the 650, but not a meaningful one, in my eyes. But, a plus is a plus.
--The camera definitely matters, but it's not necessarily much changed, if at all, from the 640 to the 650. Same resolution, and I've not seen that it's got better tech behind it. It might, I just haven't seen its other specs to compare.
--What employee wants this thing is the question?

Overall, the 640's likely be be available for around half the price of the 650. That's what kills the 650--it's maybe a LITTLE better than the 640, but priced like something much better. It's more of a 550 than a 650, given it's just about on-par with what was a 600-series phone a year ago.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
You still didnt prove that the 640 is better.Design is a preference, you not preferring the metal band doesn't mean its inferior. Generally lighter sets with low density (weight/volume) are more durable...case in point 1520 vs 640 XL, drop both, only one survives, 640 XL.

--Design is preference, and I don't like the 650's design. I've never cared for metal bands, and the thing looks too much like an iPhone from the front. I don't like super-rounded corners. Plus, color options are boring, so I'd call the design a negative for the 650, vs. the 640. Thin and light can also mean less durable. I liked the feel of my 920 more than my 950 and its super-squeaky backplate, for example.
--CPU clock speed improvements aren't everything. It looks like the GPU is inferior, and it looks like the RAM might not be improved at all. Overall, the SoC is probably about the same, and given the 650 is a year newer, that's a negative.
--Storage is improved, though 16 GB still isn't enough for many. Since I'd have gotten the 128-GB microSD card in my 950 for either device, it's a slight benefit for the 650, but not a meaningful one, in my eyes. But, a plus is a plus.
--The camera definitely matters, but it's not necessarily much changed, if at all, from the 640 to the 650. Same resolution, and I've not seen that it's got better tech behind it. It might, I just haven't seen its other specs to compare.
--What employee wants this thing is the question?

Overall, the 640's likely be be available for around half the price of the 650. That's what kills the 650--it's maybe a LITTLE better than the 640, but priced like something much better. It's more of a 550 than a 650, given it's just about on-par with what was a 600-series phone a year ago.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The phone looks pretty decent actually, the price will obviously drop some what making it a decent option.

In regards to NFC payments, the NFC app currently does have options to set a authenticating app and a default payment app. It remains to be seen which route they have taken when it comes to implementation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss