[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten Lumia 650?

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree that Qi charging would be a big bonus as I have two chargers. I have ordered a magnetic USB connector which should help. Double tap to wake is nice but I almost never used it. And, it looks like the camera icon, replacing the back arrow, on the Start screen will do a nice job, when it comes.

Elmira Minulina

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Have mine for 6 days, mixed feelings.

PRO:
- nice design
- impressive screen
- decent battery life
- completely unlocked

CONS:
- does not see custom ringtones, support could not help
- had very hard time installing Win 10th .218 update
- missing some important for me apps existing on Windows 7.1
- and the major issue: once installed second SIM (European), the phone stops seeing 4G completely, i.e. no restart can get it back, it sticks to 3G and lower. Only Factory Reset could get it back, but once I inserted 2nd SIM, phone lost 4G again. Tested few times.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to add a MAJOR issue that just popped up.

My Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet system does NOT work with voice commands. This is a big thing for me, as my motorcycle is my main mode of transportation, and not having voice recognition is stressing me out. The setup worked fine on my 810 in WP8.0 and WP8.1, but just not with this setup. I have a feeling that it's most likely an O/S issue.

I might go back to the MS Store and try pairing it up with another phone to see if it works tomorrow. I'll try the floor models, if they will let me.

Follow up:
I had to return the phone because of this. My motorcycle is my main mode of transportation and the lack of voice recognition was a deal breaker. It's a bug in the phone somewhere (hardware, drivers, or something). I tried the other phones on the floor displays the only ones that didn't work with my Bluetooth was the 650, and 640XL, ever other phone worked as is should.

Ended up getting the Blu Win HD LTE, since I didn't really want to spend any more money (ended up with a refund). Such a shame, as the 650 was a really nice phone.

FahadM

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Please help , I tried to change some setting ( like to vibration when i touch screen ) , It asking to RESTART to have effective setting .

it this is Fault ?

FahadM

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Please help , I tried to change some setting ( like to vibration when i touch screen ) , It asking to RESTART to have effective setting .

it this is Fault ?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

it this is Fault ?

Some system settings, after receiving an update, will require reboot.

it this is Fault ?

Please see my answer quoted above.

I will give the same answer again: Some system settings, after receiving an update, will require reboot.

louser

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I just bought a 650 here in Sweden for my work phone and so far I am loving it. Last WP I used was the 925 and it was my favorite phone! My only complaint with this phone is that apps take forever to load. I don't know if its hardware, Win 10, or a combination of the two but my old 925 was fast as hell. I am very happy with my 650 though, I really love the weight and the design, it looks better than my Note 5!

Lou

Raylz

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
hello all long time reader here went from the lumia 710 to 925 and now the 650 unlocked so more like a refresh to modern tech, cant wait to test out Redstone 2 builds. NAM CV

Last edited:

vishalrao

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Just got my hands on the 650 a couple of hours ago (bought off amazon.in for just under INR 14k) and have got a great first impression of it overall. I actually use an iPhone6 as my main phone (for work, didn't have a choice, and not liking it too much either) and got this one just for the pleasure of owning a Win10 mobile :grincry: Already got a 550 for my mom a few months back which is also working very well for her basic usage. I plan to use this 650 for running Insider builds only without any SIM cards in it haha.

Some thoughts:

1. OLED display is very good. It's my first owned OLED display phone and I'd seen other people's AMOLED displays like on Samsung phones and was very impressed. On other phones (like my old WP 7.x HTC HD7) I always preferred the light theme because I didn't like the look of dark theme on non-OLEDs so was looking forward to this but turns out while the dark theme looks nice and all, the screen is a bit glossy and I get a little distracted by the reflections so will probably switch again back to light theme/mode.

2. It's definitely slim and light and I would have preferred full plastic/polycarbonate case instead of the metal frame which most people rave about - I couldn't care less and will cover the back anyway with either an "Amzer Pudding Gel" case or another faux-leather "Cubix" brand case which is coming soon - ordered them both from amazon.in for INR 400 each.

3. Default OS build it came with was 10586.107 and with the latest current firmware and even with this version everything was VERY smooth, no jerkiness/jitters in the UI/animations while I was setting it up and configuring things. Currently updating to the latest 10586.545 stable build. Will wait for stable release of RS1/AU build - probably will only switch to Insider once RS2 builds get a bit more usable and have some actual user-facing changes to play around with.

4. I plan to use it for basic stuff, like very few apps (the app-gap doesn't bother me), email, browsing. I couldn't care less about stuff like Cortana or NFC (all disabled) and uninterested in things like Windows Hello or Camera quality with optical image stabilization etc which is why I didn't get the 950 which I was considering. I don't do games either so the CPU/RAM/storage is good enough for me.

5. Build quality and battery (physically) turned out good - battery fits snugly in the phone, not loose, back cover fits snugly, no rattles - so hopefully I don't face the random reboots some people suffer. Phone has not heated up or anything while using/updating/charging it so far so that's good. Haven't really run any heavy apps or games and don't plan to.

So that's my initial quick impression of the phone - will post further followup notes maybe after a few days of usage, especially looking forward to observing and commenting on battery life once things settle down.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I just picked on up 2nd hand in mint condition. For what it is I think it's a nice little phone.
I got it for my mom, because she was having a hard time figuring out the Android phone I got her, but my bother worked with her and she wanted to keep it.

I'm going to hang on to it just to keep up with what's going on with Windows 10. I think the new and money app is much better on WP than the Android versions. Such a slick little OS way better than Android and IOS.

NightsWatchMember

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Just bought my first ever windows mobile phone, which happens to be Lumia 650. This phone reminds me so much of my BB Passport. Fluid and fast OS, excellent device build quality but lack of app support. Not a big issue for me because I just use it mainly for sms, whatsapp, insta and some browsing.

Ohh and reddit, I must have an app for reddit :p

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Got mine yesterday, and the reason I got it was to be a back up/classy phone for night out, so I would not have a dirty beat up daily use 640XL.

After first set up and charge, I was very impressed with the OLED screen and it's total lack of missed touches that the 640XL has. That even got me to load Squid and and try my Active Stylus on it......I was blown away with how much better the stylus is on the 650 over the 640 XL :love:

CqS8lW0WAAAY2m4.jpgCqS8nLvW8AAGTht.jpg

Thanks to the 650 I was able to prove to myself the higher quality the screen the better an Active Stylus will work for input....this removes all my doubt and clears the way to replace my 640 XL with a 950 XL.

The phone has yet to be fully updated, but I am going to do that later and has me in a serious debate with my self to promote it from back up to daily driver until I get a 950 XL.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Initial thoughts...

Despite being an IPS LCD guy I like the OLED. Sunlight readability is fine. The Clear Coat screen protector I had installed at Cricket may have something to do with it. I forgot to check if it is Matte, which I know does help OLED/AMOLED in sunlight. Ambient light sensor is working fine. I'm running Vivid for saturation and Neutral for temperature. The view is nice, not too garish.

Performance is on par with my expectations for SD212 + 1GB RAM.

Camera is very nice compared to other budget 8MP shooters (as expected from a Lumia) and I'll have to stop playing with it for samples and take some actual shots when I have time.

16GB internal storage is nice. 8GB just won't cut it in 2016.

SD card bus is fast. I have my Samsung EVO 32GB SDHC UHS-I card in. Tested with SD Card R/W Test app. Wrote a 32MB file at 19.27 MB/s and read it at 63.01 MB/s. I like that a lot.

Needs compass, although the turn by turn nav worked fine the two times I've used it in the car I will have to see about nav when walking.

Battery. Holy carp that thing is wafer thin. I don't think I'll ever get 2 days out of it and I'm a light/moderate user.

Overall I like the styling. Looks great in a Mozo Glam case. I've said it elsewhere in this forum, lack of heft does not reassure me. This phone feels scary light in my hand and Imma have to get used to that.

WP_20161010_10_41_52_Rich.jpg

ChanceNC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
After Verizon finally wised up and started charging me $20 extra for unlimited data, it was time to jump to Cricket. I wasn't willing to pay for a phone just for the privilege, so of their three free phone choices (two crummy Android phones and a W10M device), I went with the Lumia 650, having previously used a Lumia 928 for a couple of years on VZW.

First off, my device particulars...it was running a version of 10586 out of the box (can't remember the exact version)...updated to 14393.321 immediately...factory restored after the update...then did all remaining app and software updates.

Firmware version is 01078.00036.16035.40009

Hardware thoughts:
--Simple, elegant and expensive-looking design
--Unnaturally light, which I actually appreciate despite the fact that a stiff wind might knock it out of my hand
--Beautiful screen, very close in quality to my old Lumia 928 which to this day I regard as the best screen I've ever seen on a mobile phone
--Decent front-facing speaker, loud and crisp
--Charging and headphone ports are tighter than on any phone I've used...not sure if that means they'll hold up well, or break sooner than usual
--Camera takes nice pictures
--Phone calling works well
--Battery life is surprisingly good given the size of the cell

OS thoughts:
--Windows 10 Mobile is still a mess. Used it as an Insider on my 928 before the door was slammed on it, and things are surprisingly--disappointingly--status quo here. Live tiles, in particular, are garbage--Microsoft's own news and sports app tiles frequently take a cab, requiring launching or resizing to refresh them back to life. I tried three of my favorite weather apps--WeatherBug, AccuWeather and Amazing Weather HD--and none of the tiles worked right. The AccuWeather and AWHD tiles simply wouldn't update after reasonable amounts of time had passed, or location had changed. The WeatherBug tile showed promise, updating frequently and perceiving location changes...but switching from WiFi to cellular, or vice versa, put it in the dumper...so much so, in fact, that the app itself wouldn't pick up on my location when launched. (I wound up deleting the app on this account) Oddly, the MSN weather app and tile perform well...but the app data comes from a dubious source (Foreca) and I don't have much faith in it. Mail and calendar tiles also don't update/refresh properly. I employed a workaround found here on the forums to get the mail tile to behave (I pinned my Gmail inbox, rather than the entire Outlook Mail app, to Start and so far it's behaving properly). I simply cannot believe, at this stage in the game, and given the supposed design and aesthetic advantages of live tiles, that they still don't work right. And I think it (mostly) has nothing to do with the apps, because so many of them have malfunctioning or misbehaving live tiles. A frustratingly stupid situation, really.

And there's other nonsense going on: (1) Disconnecting from a secure WiFi network requiring login via browser, by leaving its area, then trying to reconnect upon return to its area results in connection failure that requires a reboot of the phone to correct, (2) moron developers removed the ability to turn Glance screen off while charging the phone, (3) YouTube *still* will not play in the background when I navigate out of Microsoft Edge, despite claims in the past that this was possible, (4) apps that appear to be very lightweight from a resource standpoint (Chess By Post) behave sluggishly, while apps I perceive to be resource hogs do OK, (5) disconnection from Bluetooth devices takes an excessive amount of time, and on more than one occasion I've had to reboot the phone to be able to connect to a different BT device.

I really was expecting more from the OS at this point in its development, but instead I have been disappointed. This is a production release, and it's nearly-unforgivably buggy. I think I'm going to jump on the fast ring Insider build. The way I see it, if I'm going to have to deal with a buggy OS mess, I might as well deal with the latest buggy OS mess.
UPDATE: Eff that...just reviewed the thread regarding the last fast ring release. Seems that's more of a s---show than either my current OS version or the 2016 US presidential election

Performance thoughts:
--Very decent given the hardware. I've not run into any ridiculous slowdowns that would compel me to hurl the phone across the room, as I'm wont to do with Anrdoid devices. I heard horror stories about Facebook performance, but luckily the pre-installed version is the Microsoft-developed version and it works well. (I am periodically nagged to update it, but I've refused) For fun, I installed the FB-developed beta version of their app, and it actually works rather well. Takes about 8-10 seconds to launch, moving around once launched is adequately snappy, and it's feature set is competitive with iOS and Android versions. That said, I wound up deleting it due to its excessive storage footprint (100 MB on initial install, and sure to bloat from there), but may install it again. Other apps work satisfactorily--again, taking into account the hardware on hand. On a phone with beefier specs, it would be unacceptable, but in this regard I'm trying to keep things in perspective.

(You may ask why I'm not keeping the OS bugs in perspective, but I have a lower tolerance for that given the fact MS has been working on it for a long time and it still has too many rough edges that would drive off users less devoted to Windows Phone than I am)

I'm very happy I didn't pay anything for this phone. To be perfectly honest, moving from a very reliable carrier to a new one, in my opinion, carries risks that I didn't want to exaggerate by spending meaningful money on a phone locked to it. Happily, Cricket's service seems to be very good so far, and having not spent any dough on the phone, I'm now free to look around for an unlocked device to bring over should the 650 prove to be too frustrating over the next few weeks. I'll post further thoughts in the review sticky in a week or two...thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Akanji Odediran

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I'm very happy I didn't pay anything for this phone. To be perfectly honest, moving from a very reliable carrier to a new one, in my opinion, carries risks that I didn't want to exaggerate by spending meaningful money on a phone locked to it. Happily, Cricket's service seems to be very good so far, and having not spent any dough on the phone, I'm now free to look around for an unlocked device to bring over should the 650 prove to be too frustrating over the next few weeks. I'll post further thoughts in the review sticky in a week or two...thanks for reading.
My exact thoughts for 'purchasing' this handset with a move to Cricket.

Mitja358

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Does Lumia 650 support Quick Charge 2.0? I know that chipset (Snapdragon 212) supports it, but I don't know for his specific device?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes