Microsoft Lumia 650 Bugs & Defects

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's Lumia 650​ shipped with Windows 10 Mobile preloaded. Have you recently bought one yourself? Have you felt that something was not right with it or wasn't working well? Some hiccups or snags? If "yes", then fire off below and let us know what you've found.

It is worth noting that with any phone, there are bad units. One sample may not be representative of the model as a whole. Circumstances vary and others may not be able to replicate your issue right away, or at all.

Is it behaving oddly, is something just not right? This is the place for discussion of software and hardware issues!

[TIP]Here is some useful information you may find yourself needing.:

Some issues with responsiveness and app delays can be resolved by either restarting your phone or performing a Soft Reset.

If things get a bit more serious, you may opt to perform a hard reset or software reset.

Lastly, if things really get serious, you may need the Windows Device Recovery Tool to recover your phone back to working order - head over to this Microsoft FAQ page for more info.

Make sure to check the official Windows 10 Mobile Support page as well for some of the most common tips and trouble shooting guides.[/TIP]

[INFO]Restarting your phone involves turning it off and then turning it on again. Turn off your phone by pressing the power button until you are prompted to "Slide down to power off". Turn your phone on again by pressing the power button until it vibrates.

A soft reset is similar to pressing the reset button in PCs and has the same effect as pulling out the battery of your phone and then putting it back in. For phones with non-removable batteries, press the volume down and power button together until your phone restarts. Be aware that when using Windows 10, the voume down and power button combination will also launch Windows Feedback. Just continue to hold down the buttons for a full 10 seconds in order to trigger the soft reset. For phones with removable batteries, you can either opt for the button combination or remove the battery and then return it.

A hard reset or a software reset will reformat your phone by removing all the user information leaving only the bare OS and firmware currently installed in your phone. It does erase data so you should always keep a good backup of your phone just in case you have to resort to this option.

The software reset can be done by going to your phone Settings > System > About > tap on "Reset your phone." You will be prompted once before doing this just to be sure. Be sure, also, to have everything backed up since there would be no way to recover all of your files.

The hard reset accomplishes the same thing as the software reset, but can be accomplished when the phone is non-responsive and you are unable to enter into settings. To perform the Hard Reset, "Power off the phone > hold Volume Down > press Power > keep holding Volume Down until you see the exclamation (!) screen, then immediately release the Volume Down. Now tap Volume Up / Volume Down / Power / Volume Down. You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery.

The Windows Device Recovery Tool is the final option, for example for "bricked" phones that would no longer turn on, be charged, etc. This can be used to either roll back to a previous OS version or force an update to a more current OS version[/INFO]

Remember, when reporting bugs be descriptive! The more information you give, the better the chance someone will be able to help you.

What OS version? Any special conditions that should be noted? What were you doing? What is the result? Any error codes or messages given? What have you tried for solutions? What variant of the phone are you using? Single SIM or Dual SIM?

Please describe as much as possible about the bug so others may try and replicate the bug and don't make suggestions for solutions that you have already tried which have failed...

Last edited:

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Apparent bug no 1.

I don't get a tone or notification when receiving an email. I do however get the email icon on my glance screen and a brief description/no received on the live tile.

iJohnnyCash

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The Greek dictionary in Lumia 650 is complete different from Lumia 1320 (with WP8 or WP10).
It has some mistakes and is also a mess with uppercase or toneless letters.
Any clue?

iJohnnyCash

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The Greek dictionary in Lumia 650 is complete different from Lumia 1320 (with WP8 or WP10).
It has some mistakes and is also a mess with uppercase or toneless letters.
Any clue?
It was about Regional Format settings. If you choose Greek (Cyprus) the dictionary is totally a mess with too many mistakes. Of course is bad configuration. Greek (Cyprus) and Greek (Greece) should have the same dictionary.

Alex Johnson3

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
650 Dual Sim

• 1 Build quality
    I get a slight rattle when vibrate turns on. I can't decide if it normal or acceptable to me. My brother has the same phone and has not made the same complaint. considering swapping for another but not sure it will be any different. It's also very inconvenient to wait for shipping.

• 2 Battery
    I'm not impressed with the battery so far. to be fair i'm still on day 1 of first full charge and it's not dead yet. my usage has been lighter than with my old 625 (single sim). I can't imagine it lasting a full day with even moderately high usage. Will continue to monitor.

• 3 lock/glance screen
    the lock screen cuts off part of the detailed weather status and the glance screen won't display weather at all even though it appears to be configured correctly.

• 4 Dual SIM
    Although it appears to have data connections on both sims simultaneously it looks like one will be used at a time. Secondary sim has reduced speed. I had hoped I could configure work email to use work data. does not appear to be the case though. There does not appear to be a fast way to toggle which sim is the primary for data either.

WHERE IS DATA AND BATTERY SENSE??

My brother bought one at my recommendation. now my boss and co-worker are interested. hopefully this does not become an embarrassing situationBattery

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine for now doesn't have any bugs thankfully, but I find the speaker volume very very low. Like its half the one on my 720. Does anyone else feel the same about the volume?

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
One bug I had on my 2nd day was Cortana stopped responding to voice commands and would just exit. I did a soft reset and that fixed it. I also had Cortana freeze the entire phone over bluetooth and had to do a soft reset because the phone would not respond to anything I did, even the power button. Seems Cortana needs a few bug fixes.

iJohnnyCash

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Although I haven't any issue or lags when I use my phone, more satisfy from my L1320, I'm worry about three specific events.
Three random times it was impossible to power on (open) my device. I push the power button and nothing happens and the solution was to remove for a little the battery. One off this times, when I was push the power-button I saw a big "exclamation mark" and the others two time ...nothing/null - just nothing.

I hope is something random and not a issue :(
All these events, it happens with different builds of WP.

TorroRed

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
A bit pissed off here because I ordered this phone and had it shipped to me overseas while I'm on business. It'll be months before I can return it for a new unit or repairs.

The bugs:

1) If I try to plug in a headset or noise cancelling headphones, it triggers the volume switch down to 0. If i try to manually try to bump the volume back up, it just heads back down to 0.

2) When I plug in regular headphones first, and then turn on the music it just fumbles through songs without playing anything.

3) To listen to music or use the headphones, I have to start the song and then plug in. Even then it is buggy. It'll flicker the same song 3 times before playing.

4) If I try to use skype with even regular earphones sound is completely killed. Can only use it with nothing plugged in.

5) Trying to update the Canadian keyboard and it killed predictive and slide typing and keeps giving me an 'attention required' message. The message is the update didn't update correctly despite wifi and unlimited mobile data. I had to switch to the US keyboard and won't update any of it for fear of losing the keyboard.

6) I have an outlook and hotmail account along with a few work accounts. Hotmail account won't work on a pinned tile or any notifications for that matter. Only if I manually switch into it.

7) No sound alerts for emails as mentioned above. Not that important for me.

8) Lumia transfer tool didn't work of course. Settings transferred over, but media had to be done manually. Back up from cloud was very buggy and I don't think worked because after 2 days I simply manually added everything.

9) How do I turn off the photo 'refinishing'? The camera always cleans up photos by brightening, removing lines etc. I'd like an option to just have a natural camera. Don't know if this is a bug or design flaw.

10) The charger is 1 piece, which is poor design. The USB should be detachable to plug into a computer rather than carrying 2 cables. Design flaw or trying to keep it cheap I'm not sure.

The good: The email (which is what kept me on WP) with screen glances and pinned tiles works well. The screen and touch responsiveness are great. The UI is very polished and clean. Good upgrade from 8.1. Overall intuitive UX and smart but simple design. The visual build quality is good, especially for the price. A bit lighter than I like, but that's subjective.

Microsoft, if you want to take a bigger market share you can't have this kind of slop on major functions like microphones etc. Charge more $$ if you must to get to a level of standard we can use out of the box. I prefer WP over Android any day, and feel nauseous at the thought of Apple, but will choose nausea over malfunction if that's what it comes down to. Most young people scoff at the mention of WP and you're not helping!

iJohnnyCash

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
2) When I plug in regular headphones first, and then turn on the music it just fumbles through songs without playing anything.

3) To listen to music or use the headphones, I have to start the song and then plug in. Even then it is buggy. It'll flicker the same song 3 times before playing.

4) If I try to use skype with even regular earphones sound is completely killed. Can only use it with nothing plugged in.
I don't have this kind of issue. I use too much Skype, music or earphones.

9) How do I turn off the photo 'refinishing'? The camera always cleans up photos by brightening, removing lines etc. I'd like an option to just have a natural camera. Don't know if this is a bug or design flaw.
Its the HDR feature. You can disable it from camera app, in the main screen, in the right position, which is also the flash.

TorroRed

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, wonder if you got a chance to hook up noise cancelling headphones on your phone yet? I guess if you Skype you are using a proper headset with mic which is a similar plug. I'm guessing mine might be a hardware defect on that end. Some sort of contact where it shouldn't be.

Thanks for the tip on the camera. Will turn off 'HDR' right now and bask in natural glory.

* EDIT turned of HDR but it still processes my photo and lightens up skin and 'photoshops'. When I view my photos after the shot it still says 'adding finishing touches'.

Any suggestions on a Groove Music app alternative? I don't like that it won't sort by genre easily, and the built in genre setting ignored all the edits I had made via WMP. I tried VLC last night, but quite buggy as well on the shuffle/continuous play area.

grazy1982

May 28, 2014
Visit site
just posted a separate thread! but my parents 2 650s both are in a continuous reboot loop when using a memory card.

ok for a few days then when charging it suddenly does it. only way to fix it is to remove the card. it can be formatted and then ok but after a while it does it again!

no such issues on my 950 and 950XL!!! any ideas?

Devtechiot

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
From last two days onward my 650 ring volume became very low. It was loud enough, don't know what happened suddenly the volume became very low only for calls... remaining all cases speaker working fine but when I got call that time the ring coming very low volume, it equals to half of the volume:unhappy:

Elmira Minulina

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I expected much more from that long expected Win 10 phone. Unfortunately, I found few bugs out of the box.

To be sure who’s fault is it, I made side by side tests with brand new Microsoft Lumia 950 XL, both phones are Dual SIMs, using .218 build of Windows 10 :

1. Custom ringtones do not work, Lumia 650 just does not see those. I copied my MP3 files to ‘Ringtones’ folder and checked Ringtones list in Settings: nothing, custom ringtone is not there.

Lumia 950 XL sees it right away, no problem.

2. Dual SIM problem: initially I have my Fido SIM as SIM1 in the phone, using up to 4G, checked in Settings. Once I insert my European SIM to SIM2 (hooks to Rogers network right away), SIM1 regresses to 3G only. Before .218 build it happened right away, after I installed .218 build it happened 2 days later.

Then, nothing can return 4G to SIM1 unless I do Factory Reset which is totally unacceptable.

Lumia 950 XL also has worldwide SIM in SIM2, and SIM1 keeps its 4G capability.

So, the listed problems are not to Windows 10, but rather to Lumia 650.

3. I find the max volume for embedded ringtones quite low, it’s very hard to hear it in shopping mall or even in the car. Had the same issue in my old Lumia 710, how come the problem is still there 4 years later?

Yes, the phone looks nice, but why Microsoft QA does so poor job on testing?

Last edited:

Elmira Minulina

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Exactly. I followed Microsoft suggestion to the letter. Moreover, when exactly the same procedure was used on Lumia 950 XL, it just works, but not on my Lumia 650...

Have Heart

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem but with some mp3 songs, mostly works but there is certainly mp3 songs that doesn't show on my ringtone list. That is weird.

The deal with Volume yes, that's pretty low.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte