650 worth purchasing when I have a 550?

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I finally switched from Verizon to cricket because we all know how verizon treats their windows users. I had a 550 for awhile now that I just played around with and decided to activate this guy for the time being. I see cricket has the 650 and it looks great but I'm not sure if its really worth the $200 purchase or nay? What do you's guys think? And if I decide to pick one up, should I go through cricket or directly through microsoft? I have a microsoft store right down the road from me here in New Jersey which would be quicker with updates I'd imagine but I'm not a fan of the duel sim thing.

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
The Lumia 650 has a way better screen (Amoled black is really black), a slightly faster prozessor and 16 GB storage... additionally it is the most beautiful phone in the current Lumia range. I think it is worth the price.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The Cricket 650 is only locked for 6 months of usage on their network after purchase. After that, you would be free to unlock it and use it on compatible networks. I bought the 650 from Cricket, spending $120 versus the $200 for the dual SIM / unlocked version. Aside from Deezer and My Cricket, the rest of the applications are stock. We'll see when the Anniversary Update comes out in August if Cricket / AT&T does anything to expressly inhibit or allow the device to be upgraded. In terms of looks, the 650 is a nice looking Lumia. It performs well given the chosen hardware, but most Windows Phone users already know the OS does not tax processors much at all.

If you have a 550 and you are happy with the 550, wait until the Anniversary Update comes out and see if there is anything that states the update is available on Cricket. If the Anniversary Update is available, upgrading to the 650 for $120 isn't a bad option. Just keep in mind that they bill you ahead for a month's service when you upgrade online. In a store they will, at minimum, charge you a $25 activation fee. I got away without paying ahead for a month's worth of service. Just don't get the case that they have in stores, there are better options available on the internet.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think 650 wins out over 550 for:
  • Design
  • Screen
  • Gorilla Glass 3 & ClearBlack
  • SoC
  • Front & Rear Cameras
It takes a small hit with a 100 mAh decrease in battery over the 550, but AMOLED (650) may mitigate that somewhat vs (550) LCD...

I also think the Cricket price makes 650 a smart move.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I tried to get out of paying the plan price because I just switched yesterday and paid it. Why pay for it a second time?

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately though with taxes and the plan price they tack on it comes out to the same price as the unlocked version microsoft sells.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Are you trying to purchase the phone online or in a store? I purchased a phone in the store and was not charged the monthly plan fee. Maybe you should try a store if you have not done so already.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
This is online. I have only two cricket retailers within distance of me here in New Jersey. Both of which are down in Trenton and anybody in the U.S knows that not a lovely area. Actually last time I went to that store, there was a dead body in the road. I avoid going there at all times.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm in NJ also. The 650 is a very good phone for what it is. Fluid and snappy performance, plus very good build quality. An elegant device.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
To answer your question, yes the 650 is a definite upgrade (I own a 550 and 640 and the 640 is considerably faster). Also after all ridiculous tax, upgrade and activation fees Cricket charges, it's better to buy the phone unlocked from Microsoft. Cricket is notorious about not pushing software updates to its Lumia devices so that's another reason to go unlocked.

Last edited:

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Welp I found a seller on Ebay whom was selling his less than a week old 650 in new condition with the box and unused charger for only 85. I jumped right on it like white on rice. We'll see how it goes. Now all I need is to find a nice decent case for it that shows off the back. I see mozo has an intriguing one.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cricket is notorious about not pushing software updates to its Lumia devices

But that's where WaaS saves the day.

I think the 650 price is contingent on a new line with Cricket... Which the web won't wave, but a good rep in-store should.

I was leaning heavily toward getting a 650 to go with my 5th line (which is free under bundling)... However, I'm expecting a non Lumia device to come in this week that I'll use my 5th line on instead.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The Idol 3 unlocked > Idol 3 on Cricket. At least that is my opinion.

In the time I had the Idol 3 I didn't have many complaints but thought the camera could have been better, the phone more responsive, and other things that this device simply couldn't do because of it's mid-ranged status. If they had a vanilla AOSP ROM for the Idol 3 (Marshmallow) I would have stayed. The dual orientation feature was nice, but it couldn't intelligently switch during a call. A limitation for sure, but a bummer nonetheless.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with you there. I'm a New Jersey Devils season ticket holder and always take photos at games and the camera actually disappointed me unfortunately. I was really excited about trying it too!

AbhiWindows10

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
You don't have to use the second SIM man ! You'll be using it as any other phone with a single SIM.

Originally posted by Eustis99
I finally switched from Verizon to cricket because we all know how verizon treats their windows users. I had a 550 for awhile now that I just played around with and decided to activate this guy for the time being. I see cricket has the 650 and it looks great but I'm not sure if its really worth the $200 purchase or nay? What do you's guys think? And if I decide to pick one up, should I go through cricket or directly through microsoft? I have a microsoft store right down the road from me here in New Jersey which would be quicker with updates I'd imagine but I'm not a fan of the duel sim thing.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
So I got my 650 in today and it feels fantastic! The last windows phone I had that felt this good to hold was maybe the 925.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes