Anyway to get unlocked other than through a carrier?

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I had no idea where to place this thread but I figured I'd you's guys as I'm so irritated. I have a 650 with cricket and was going to switch to AT&T. I asked a cricket rep if the device being locked would work on AT&T and he said yes because they're sister companies. Needless to say I switched and now I don't have a phone because it needs to be unlocked. I asked cricket to unlock it and they told me they can't as it wasn't active for six months. Basically now I have a useless sim card and a locked phone I cant do much with. Does anybody know if I could get it unlocked elsewhere? Perhaps through some third party?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I suspect not although perhaps someone else has had some success. I believe AT&T will allow you to back out of any contract within 14 days, so perhaps it's worth staying with Cricket until the end of your period.

Oddly AT&T phones will work on Cricket, but not the other way.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
It's unfortunate. They told me it would work and I've seen YouTube videos of it working but I guess not. The cricket reps are so useless too and irritate me even more. One guy told me to just go out and buy a new phone and said it wasn't a big deal. Push comes to shove I'll just buy the unlocked 650 but I shouldn't have to really.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Under the new Cricket policy they will give you an immediate unlock if you put the phone on the $70 plan...

Sorry, that's the best suggestion I have. Couple that with realwarder advising that you back out of AT&T.

It is sort of known that Cricket is an odd duck and theirs is the only phone I know of on an mvno that will not take the parent company SIM. There is a reason they have such deep discounts on the phones they offer.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I actually had that plan and they still wouldn't do it! A company that won't honor their policies is garbage in my opinion. I may just head over to my local Microsoft store tomorrow and buy a 650, or perhaps one of the higher end guys. Cricket put a sour taste in my mouth

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Well I got the unlocked duel sim variant from my Microsoft store. the lady was cool and gave me a discount for no reason and also got three months of hulu for free. The only thing I noticed is I don't get AT&T LTE which is odd

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I got the unlocked duel sim variant from my Microsoft store. the lady was cool and gave me a discount for no reason and also got three months of hulu for free. The only thing I noticed is I don't get AT&T LTE which is odd

Check the APN... Should be nxtgenphone.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but I have no idea what that is. I've updated the APN before but never heard of that one you mentioned.

Terrigno

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I had the dual sim and couldn't get LTE where I was although mu 640 got it. The dual sim 650 is missing band 17. The main one

Sent from Windows 10 Mobile

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the dual sim and couldn't get LTE where I was although mu 640 got it. The dual sim 650 is missing band 17. The main one

Sent from Windows 10 Mobile

Didn't you get a Euro tuned import though?

The NAM 650 Dual SIM should have Band 12 and that is fine for AT&T who have moved to 12 with interoperability for legacy Band 17.

The OP is asking about the Cricket branded 650 which is tuned to use AT&T towers. Here is what it has:
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
WCDMA 850 / 900 / 1700/2100 / 1900 / 2100
LTE Band 2 (1900) / Band 4 (1700/2100) / Band 5 (850) / Band 7 (2600) / Band 12 (700) / Band 28 (700)
From the Cricket Lumia 650 user guide (pg. 132).

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Well as mentioned my guy didn't have band 17 which took a major hit on cellular performance. Out and about with all bars, the fastest I saw was 3mbps. I guess that's what I get for living here in northern New jersey which is all mountains and trees. Surprising at the same time because I'm only fifteen minutes from NYC so I expected better. I bit the bullet and picked up a AT&T 950. I'm liking it other than it feeling like a fire ball in my hands at times.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
@RumoredNow, thank you. I am giving one of my Cricket 650's to a friend on att. That his 830 goes skitso when texting.

When you unlocked your 650's how many digits wad the code? Cricket has sent me a code multiple times but it's too many digits! The last six won't fit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)