dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
They used to be. It was one of Windows phones defining features. On WP 7&8 it was as smooth as butter, very fast and fluid and all without big ram or processors. Now its more like Android used to be ie laggy, buggy and a resource hog

anon(9106526)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
They used to be. It was one of Windows phones defining features. On WP 7&8 it was as smooth as butter, very fast and fluid and all without big ram or processors. Now its more like Android used to be ie laggy, buggy and a resource hog
I know it used to be slicknon windows 8 on mobile,but my question is will windows 10 mobile ever be slick?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Only if you drop it in grease. 😁
Only kidding. I've only had slow down issues with devices that I've upgraded from WP8.1 to W10M. Also, when the 950s were released, I experienced some sluggishness, but my most recent 950XL ran super slick 90% of the time.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd get me a L650 if it had 3GB of RAM in there.
Firm believer in hardware needs to be overkill to run the OS.
(Too much is never enough)

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say no to a better processor or more RAM on my Lumia 650. Still, it's been smooth so far but this is really a YMMV kind of situation.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I've moved your thread to the Microsoft Lumia 650 forum, since a question about how well a particular device is optimised for Windows 10 Mobile is out of the scope of the Ask Dan forum.

Tjalsma

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Anyone who's been on WP since WP7 knows the OS is not nearly as smooth and responsive as it used to be. I think this comes down to quite a few things:

1. Segmentation - there are so many different phones and hardware configurations that I am guessing this had to affect the fluidity of the OS.
2. Windows 10 Mobile was designed to work on higher end phones. Yes, I know you can put it on older phones (officially and not officially) but it's pretty apparent that this is an OS that is designed to run on Lumia 950-ish and higher hardware.
3. You are not really running a true mobile OS like WP7-8 were. This is both good and bad in that it allows additional functionality (for the most part) but hindered performance.

We are in a rough patch for Windows Mobile (at least in my opinion) where they are trying to introduce new features into a mobile operating system with not much new hardware to keep up with it.

Not to mention, the Lumia 650 is, arguably, a poorer performing phone than the 640.

To answer your question as to whether or not W10M will ever be as fluid as WP7-8 were, definitely not. I don't really think it needs to be as fluid as it once was but I hope that as new hardware is introduced it will be on par with iOS and Android.

vishalrao

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm guessing the smoothness problem going from WP7 to W10M is due to WP7 having "native" C++ based UI while W10M they moved to C#/.NET based crap.

BritDad

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a lumia 950 and it was a bit slow out of the box, but once all the apps and the OS have been updated to the latest version, it was (is) fine. Just get everything updated.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I feel Windows 10 Mobile is adequately fast enough.

Facebook and Messenger gives it a bad rep though. I have observed many people saying W10M is slow based on the Facebook and Messenger app which is sad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo