07-14-2018 08:31 AM
28 12
tools
    [WARN]
    Before proceeding please be warned that this process may damage your device permanently if not done correctly. I would not be taking any responsibility for any issues that may arise
    [/WARN]

What is this for?
    This process is for the Lumia 650 RM-1150 sold via Cricket Wireless in the United States

What does this process do?
    It replaces the stock Cricket Wireless firmware with the stock factory unlocked US variant firmware that supports NFC payments through Microsoft Pay, enables Double Tap to Wake screen and enables seamless future firmware updates directly from Microsoft along with additional stability fixes.

Microsoft Lumia Update History

So should I proceed?
    This process is mainly targeted for advanced users who like tinkering with firmware and registry. I wouldn't deep dive much into the interop unlock or registry editor sideload process. Whether to proceed or not is solely at your discretion.

What do I need/how should I prepare?

Steps:

1. Developer unlock your device from Settings >> Update & security >> For Developers >> Enable "Developer Mode"
    2. Side load Interop Tools along with dependencies
    3. Edit following registry entries:
      • HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetInfo >> PhoneMobileOperatorName >> "000-US"
      • HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetInfo >> PhoneManufacturerModelName >> "RM-1150_15887" (FYI - this is US unlocked single-SIM variant)

4. Check for updates >> the MicrosoftMDG firmware will start downloading >> Reboot to update
    5. Run this using command prompt to permanently set the product code for WDRT reinstall:
      • thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile "location of ffu downloaded from lumiafirmware" -productcodeupdate "059X7P2" -skip_flash >> followed by
      • thor2 -mode rnd -bootnormalmode

6. Run this to perform a final full firmware flash
      • thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile "location of ffu downloaded from lumiafirmware" -do_full_nvi_update -do_factory_reset >> followed by

7. Check for Anniversary Update and proceed setting up device as usual

This process has been tested on 3 Lumia 650s and everything has been working as expected. I haven't tried going back to the Cricket firmware and probably won't.
    Last edited by pankaj981; 04-11-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Edited
    03-26-2017 04:37 PM
    What is this for? ...

... This process has been tested on 2 Lumia 650s and everything has been working as expected. I haven't tried going back to the Cricket firmware and probably won't.
    When able can your run thor2 -mode rnd -readdeviceinfo with your cricket Lumia 650 and tell me the value for the line PlatformInfo? Thanks
    Last edited by pankaj981; 03-26-2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Removed long quote
    03-26-2017 05:23 PM
    @pankaj981

WDRT uses variant packing list (VPL) mode to flash. The following command is not exactly the command that WDRT uses to flash, but I think it's the one we should use to flash. Flag -skip_exit_on_post_op_failure executes all specified post flash operations (factory reset, full NVI update, etc.).

thor2 -mode vpl -vplfile VariantPackingList.vpl -skip_exit_on_post_op_failure -reboot
    Or directly flash with WDRT after DPP CTR update.
    Last edited by DylanCochard; 06-10-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    03-26-2017 06:41 PM
    Thanks @pankaj981

Who doesn't like a nice debrand?
    libra89 and pankaj981 like this.
    03-26-2017 09:00 PM
    @pankaj981

WDRT uses variant packing list (VPL) mode to flash. The following command is not exactly the command that WDRT uses to flash, but I think it's the one we should use to flash. Flag -skip_exit_on_post_op_failure executes all specified post flash operations (factory reset, full NVI update, etc.).

Or directly flash with WDRT after DPP CTR update.
    This type of flashing is done only for Lumia's atm correct? Or other devices packaged with vpl flashing ffu's?
    03-26-2017 10:19 PM
    @Nate W

Among all devices supported by WDRT, only HTC devices have their own tools (HTCDeviceInfo.exe and HTCRomUpdater.exe). All other devices haven't their own tools, therefore obviously that these devices use thor2. I don't know if this is the case for all these other devices, but the Elite x3, e.g, uses only a *.ffu file, no other files. Devices using only a *.ffu file uses certainly the -uefiflash mode with the -ffufile argument with other flags and/or arguments).

It would be interesting that a user with a device (other than Lumia devices and other than HTC devices, e.g. Elite x3) gives us the *.log files of WDRT to see the exact thor2 commands used for these devices.
    03-26-2017 11:04 PM
    Oh, cool thread. Let me confirm that this worked as expected
    RumoredNow and pankaj981 like this.
    03-28-2017 11:53 AM
    Does the phone have to be unlocked at the beginning?
    Will the lock status change?
    03-28-2017 03:28 PM
    Thank you for this. Will try this later.
    pankaj981 and RumoredNow like this.
    03-28-2017 04:39 PM
    SIM unlocking is different than debranding.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-28-2017 07:01 PM
    No. It does not need to be SIM unlocked to debrand.

No. If it was locked to Cricket before you started it will still be locked to Cricket.
    If you got it unlocked from Cricket before starting the debrand it will remain unlocked afterwards.
    libra89, pankaj981 and nate0 like this.
    03-28-2017 08:57 PM
    When able can your run thor2 -mode rnd -readdeviceinfo with your cricket Lumia 650 and tell me the value for the line PlatformInfo? Thanks
    Nevermind, I figured out what I needed from this.
    03-28-2017 10:06 PM
    Saving a spot to use later.
    03-28-2017 11:00 PM
    Thanks for posting the ... How to... No I'm not an advance user but I'm an adventurous user... Could you go into more on step #3 ... And maybe add anything you could think of to help those of us who want to try...
    Thanks again,
    Jonah
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-16-2017 03:55 AM
    [WARN]
    Before proceeding please be warned that this process may damage your device permanently if not done correctly. I would not be taking any responsibility for any issues that may arise
    [/WARN]

What is this for?
    This process is for the Lumia 650 RM-1150 sold via Cricket Wireless in the United States

What does this process do?
    It replaces the stock Cricket Wireless firmware with the stock factory unlocked US variant firmware that supports NFC payments through Microsoft Pay, enables Double Tap to Wake screen and enables seamless future firmware updates directly from Microsoft along with additional stability fixes.

Microsoft Lumia Update History

So should I proceed?
    This process is mainly targeted for advanced users who like tinkering with firmware and registry. I wouldn't deep dive much into the interop unlock or registry editor sideload process. Whether to proceed or not is solely at your discretion.

What do I need/how should I prepare?

Steps:

1. Developer unlock your device from Settings >> Update & security >> For Developers >> Enable "Developer Mode"
    2. Side load Interop Tools along with dependencies
    3. Edit following registry entries:
      • HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetInfo >> PhoneMobileOperatorName >> "000-US"
      • HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetInfo >> PhoneManufacturerModelName >> "RM-1150_15887" (FYI - this is US unlocked single-SIM variant)

4. Check for updates >> the MicrosoftMDG firmware will start downloading >> Reboot to update
    5. Run this using command prompt to permanently set the product code for WDRT reinstall:
      • thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile "location of ffu downloaded from lumiafirmware" -productcodeupdate "059X7P2" -skip_flash >> followed by

6. Run this to perform a final full firmware flash
      • thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile "location of ffu downloaded from lumiafirmware" -do_full_nvi_update -do_factory_reset >> followed by

7. Check for Anniversary Update and proceed setting up device as usual

This process has been tested on 3 Lumia 650s and everything has been working as expected. I haven't tried going back to the Cricket firmware and probably won't.

Did you need to use VCreg? I'm having some troubles getting that thing to work.
    04-17-2017 05:53 PM
    Did you need to use VCreg? I'm having some troubles getting that thing to work.
    Nope, just the Interop Tool
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-17-2017 08:33 PM
    Nope, just the Interop Tool
    Yeah. I got it working yesterday using just the Interop Tools App from the Store. I didn't even have to download or flash FFU using WDRT.

Now, I have unbranded firmware, LTE connection that actually works, DTW, NFC, 10+ minute lock screen, & HotSpot without paying for it.

It's just that without vcreg, I couldn't get the changes to my Sys Paging File to stick. Not sure why....
    04-18-2017 11:37 AM
    First thx for posting this!
    This will work on an unlocked device?
    04-18-2017 10:33 PM
    First thx for posting this!
    This will work on an unlocked device?
    Yeah bro, it does. You do need to sideload the Registry Providers, but I could never even get into that acer thing. I DID use the Interop Tools from the Store.

Interop Tools (Preview) https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=LwJiqtjP

The 16352.50003 Firmware downloaded, no problem. I am so happy now. I got all the little whatzits back that I missed on my 640, which is now, my designated streaming device. Maybe the best $0.99 I ever spent.
    RumoredNow, pankaj981 and romant56 like this.
    04-19-2017 12:50 AM
    Thank you so much! I've never messed with the registry on anything before, but I was able to figure this out. I just installed the Interop Tools from the Store on my phone, saved the Registry files or Extensions or whatever they were called (I downloaded them from a mega link from the forum), finally ran the right one and modified the two registry entries.

I only had to go through step #4 to get the new firmware. Even after a full factory reset it still thinks I have a non-Cricket generic phone and the Cricket startup splash screen is gone.
    libra89, RumoredNow and pankaj981 like this.
    04-22-2017 09:22 PM
    For anyone else stuck at the point where you're supposed to get the MicrosoftMDG firmware, note that the registry keys you need to set are actually:

HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetingInfo >> PhoneMobileOperatorName
    HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetingInfo >> PhoneManufacturerModelName >> "RM-1150_15887"

I did not install InteropTools and was just using vcREG to write the keys. The missing ing was really tripping me up until I installed InteropTools and saw what the key was supposed to be.

Thank you, pankaj981, for the instructions!
    Last edited by mikdav; 04-29-2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Give thanks
    nate0 and RumoredNow like this.
    04-29-2017 12:36 AM
    I fully updated my phone the day I got it and I did this to get the updated firmware:
    Use WDRT to put the phone back to 10.0.10586.63
    Removed the SIM card and did a factory reset (again, this is what I did...may not have affected it)
    Connected to wifi and updated to 10.0.14393.1066
    Disabled wifi
    Copied the EXCELLENT Interop Tools .apx to my phone
    Enabled developer mode and installed the Interop Tools
    Changed the registry settings (note that it's DeviceTargetingInfo not DeviceTargetInfo)
    Enabled wifi and updated
    Update failed, clicked RETRY and then it got the 10.0.15063.297 update and MicrosoftMDG update
    Verified phone now had DTTW and then reset it (for good measure)

Many thanks to everyone on here for helping in one way or another
    05-23-2017 08:15 AM
    This worked perfectly. Thank you!
    05-25-2017 10:46 AM
    I am struggling to get this to work.

- I have installed Interop Tools & Dependencies as per the original instructions (using the links provided).
    - Edited the registry per instructions (note typing 000-US and RM-1150_15887 into the Registry Value Data.

It seems to accept the registry edits, but no luck in getting the update MicrosoftMDG.

I have also tried using Interop Tools from the Store as starmizzle suggests, but can't get this to work either.

I have a Cricket branded Lumia 650.

I note that Interop Tools suggests (under This Device) it won't work for x50s?

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thx
    05-29-2017 01:51 AM
    I'm new to using phones, having bought my Lumia 650 a few months ago. So I have a few questions and appreciate any answers to help me understand better. Just last week, my phone received the Creators Update.

I've been following the directions here and on the XDA site, but...

1) I installed Interop Tools from the Windows Store on to my Win10 PC, and will connect to my phone via USB, but I'm having no luck understanding or installing the dependencies according to the instructions on the XDA site. I got the certificates installed, but that's as far as I can get and don't know what I'm doing wrong. All I get are errors when trying to install what I think are the right dependencies on my PC...but I'm really lost because I've never done this before.

2) Do I also install Interop Tools on my phone?

3) If I ever wanted to revert back to the Cricket firmware, how is that done? Where do we get it from?

4) Where or how do we backup our device in case things go bad, so we can restore everything? The OneDrive backup the phone makes is all I've got but don't know if that's sufficient, especially if this firmware change gets borked.

5) I'm especially worried about bricking my phone because Cricket stopped carrying them, so I can't buy another one from them in a worst case scenario. How does one unbrick their phone if the firmware install goes bad?

6) Does eliminating the Cricket firmware break anything Cricket related that's needed for the phone? Like I said, I'm new to mobile phones and still learning how all this works.

7) Does changing this firmware require a hard reset or will my phone's settings, apps, etc., still remain.

I'm not a complete newb...been working on Win PCs for a couple decades and frequently build or tinker with them quite a bit. But I am new to mobile phones and don't yet understand how to do a lot of things or unscrew myself if I break something.

Thanks.
    05-31-2017 03:01 AM
28 12