950XL features leaked

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The battery bit, I like. Sadly, I will be going for the 808 5.2inch one. Which leaves me concerned that I am buying a device too early, and should wait for an 820 based device.

I hope that the new devices are as frugal as my friend's S6. He is a medium to heavy user, and frequently gets 2 full days out of it.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: 940XL features leaked

Not sure where the unreliable moniker comes from... unless you enjoy buying bargain bin crap that might give a monk a run for the money in terms of data read/write speeds.
Me neither. But I've seen plenty of them fail in my career and have had to tell too many people that they've lost all their photos/files/accounts etc. because they relied on one set of data on an SD card. Any data storage is a risk, I just prefer to not take that risk (as do Apple and Samsung), others are happy with that. Horses for courses.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site

I think this phone sounds perfect and is what I expected from a flagship and will no doubt sell my 1520 for this. 5.7" is the perfect size.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

^really? the SGS6 is frequently dinged for having worse battery life than previous phones.

really hope they use the same pen tech as Surface so that I can just use one pen for multiple devices. don't want to buy more pens.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I don't care about a removable battery myself. Just make it big enough and I'm happy to keep the phone sealed up. Same with storage. 32 gig or more is plenty for me. To the cloud with everything else.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

^really? the SGS6 is frequently dinged for having worse battery life than previous phones.

really hope they use the same pen tech as Surface so that I can just use one pen for multiple devices. don't want to buy more pens.

To be honest, I am basing that statement on my friend's experience. He is always using it, but after 30 hours, he was still at 45%.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I was hoping they had some revolutionary intel chip they could showcase. Ahh Well. Specs seem nice but if it looks anything like the 640XL or any of those ugly phones, I'll stay away. Fisher Price phones just aren't my thing.

macgyverated

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

I have to say that I find myself a bit surprised at all the negative reaction to the specs.
I'm an IT professional and I use my phone A LOT. For A LOT of different things. It's a 1020.
Not that I would turn down a micro SD slot, but I've never hit the limit of the phone's built-in memory. The phone's 768 screen is plenty sharp and vibrant, and the device response and app load times are great. There is almost nothing that I need it to do that I won't do, and I'd venture to say that as an IT professional, my actual needs surpass those of many.

So here we have specs leaked that blow those of my 1020 out of the water (with perhaps the exception of the camera) and so many of you are just like, "Whatever".
Have we become so jaded that we are no longer impressed for more than 10 minutes at the AMAZING amount of technology packed into these small devices?
I feel that evaluating phones is not unlike evaluating cars. The specs are only part of the story. The combination of all the specs in to the experince of using it, much like the experince of driving a car, can at times become more than the sum of their parts. A Mazda Miata/MX-5 is not going to win in ANY objective measure of performance against a Corvette or Lamborghini. But it is a BLAST to drive, and one of the most rewarding driving experiences one can have.
And as we should all know, Windows Phone has always run better (or just as well) on lesser hardware than iOS or Android.

In short, none of us really have anything at all to complain about. And if you think you do, I'd suggest its rooted more in bragging rights than actual need.

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to make ever better devices. I'm not saying that the progress of technology should stop. But more and more as I read these forums, I leave with the feeling that all I've done is listen to a bunch of whiny, spoiled, petulant children moan and complain because the device in question isn't sufficiently "shiny" enough to warrant their time and break through their short attention span.
I'm not a sports fan, but how many of you would immediately ditch your favorite team just because they lost a few games in a row, or had a bad season?
Folks, the only way Windows Phone is going to survive and eventually thrive is if we stand behind it and support it. If we remain committed fans. If we continue to root for the underdog and not be led away by another device with better specs (especially when, overwhelmingly, most of you don't really even need the improvement). It's okay to constructively point out flaws and shortcomings, and make suggestions. But this "It's just not good enough for my inflated ego" attitude that has become so prevalent is off-putting. That's the kind of attitude I'd expect from hipster iSheep, not people that are open-minded and technically savvy enough to explore other options.

Brent Starnes

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site

Being an IT professional means nothing, many of us here are in IT. Almost any run of mill mid-level phone will accomplish most IT needs, as your 1020 demonstrates. The reasons many people need removable storage, better battery life, etc. is because of things like watching movies or taking lots of high res pictures and videos can use the space. Yes you can stream stuff, but that requires a good wifi or mobile connection and can quickly eat away your monthly data cap.

"In short, none of us really have anything at all to complain about." - Just because the phone is plenty good enough for you doesn't mean that the other people 'complaining' don't have valid arguments. There are tons of non-MS phones out there that provide all the things people are asking for, and it's a shame MS is content to give up that segment of the market with little fight.

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I believe that there is a difference between a metallic unibody (McLaren) and metallic unibody frame (e.g. Lumia 925, Lumia 930). Hoping for wireless charging, still one of my favourite Lumia features!

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
@Jakoh. I have to disagree. Wireless charging was something I didn't bother with for months, I even posted my charging plate for sale. But, I noticed several people mention how convenient it was, which gave me the nudge to try it. So glad I did, if only for the fact that my usb port gets a rest. I wouldn't buy a phone without it now.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Neither of the things most dont care about. Wireless charging is a fad.

My house is awash in wireless chargers, and I have one in my car mount. I got them all for sale for pretty cheap. What looks better a plate or a cord hanging off a wall? When it's time to charge up you don't have to play hunt for the cord, orient the plug, then plug in. Is it necessary? No. But we do a lot of things that aren't necessary, but are still convenient and better than the "old way". When Ikea releases its furniture with built in QI you can bet I'll be buying several pieces.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

x40 was the early 2015 line of WP 8.1 phones. I'd expect it to be called the Lumia 950 XL; that way it seems like the top of a new generation of Lumias and not a belated flagship from the last generation.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

x40 was the early 2015 line of WP 8.1 phones. I'd expect it to be called the Lumia 950 XL; that way it seems like the top of a new generation of Lumias and not a belated flagship from the last generation.

You've got a really good point. If they do give it the Lumia moniker, I hope they go with 950. However, I think they should use the Surface name for flagship phones. It has a more premium vibe to it.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

im more worried about losing my 928's xenon flash... and hoping its a proper AMOLED with glance, the iris scanner sounds very interesting really, having to type in a pin every time its annoying as hell on a computer let alone a phone..

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

The build-up for a new flagship has been really something else and Microsoft simply can't afford not to get it PERFECT this time round. The expectations are high and let's hope that our prayers for a top-notch device will be answered. I am after a beautifully designed device with a top-quality screen and no overheating issues (looking at you Snapdragon 810). As long as that's delivered I will be delighted with everything else included in the handset and welcome it as a bonus.

Microsoft and old-Nokia folks - get it right, please!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12