950XL features leaked

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: 940XL features leaked

im more worried about losing my 928's xenon flash... and hoping its a proper AMOLED with glance, the iris scanner sounds very interesting really, having to type in a pin every time its annoying as hell on a computer let alone a phone..

I'm favouring an IPS LCD display, I think that is what my 920 has, and I love it.

egonomist

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site

not necessarily, unibody frame is a a frame of one peace, which does not mean body out of one piece, I am afraid it will be the square frame with back cover that the 830, 925, 930 etc already had. I would really prefer a rounded bottom providing more comfort to the hands.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't think these are bad features and I'm sure we don't *need* anything more than this, but at this stage any new flagship device for WP is good. However WP has to be at least comparable to the best of the other platforms to get any sort of mindshare going among consumers. It certainly helps if it innovates in a few areas to make it desirable.

Put it this way - if I can go out and spent ?XXX on a phone with a certain spec for android or iOS, I'll expect something more to make me consider a platform that's unfamiliar. You could say that the single-experience that MS is going for across all devices is enough of a differentiator but I'd say you need something specific in the hardware to make people want to research the benefits of the ecosystem itself.

I just hope there is something like a really big battery or further innovation or even the value for money that sets the new flagship devices apart.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

This is shaping up to be a massively disappointing Windows 10 Mobile launch for me. Everything's just so heavily sitting in the bare-minimum realm. This alleged device is basically just a 1520 with a removable back and a moronic iris scanner. I'm sitting here wondering if the presence of an iris scanner isn't not only a non-beneficial feature, but something detrimental enough to keep me away from the device. How does iris recognition go over when you want to let someone borrow your phone for a bit? How's it go for when a kid wants to use a parent's phone for games? It just seems like a moronic piece of fluff, like fingerprint readers (I had one of those on a laptop years ago, and it was much more trouble than it was worth for the unlocking novelty).

Meanwhile, the rest just reeks of doing the absolute minimum to get by. A 20-MP camera matches the 2-year-old 1520, as does the 32-GB + microSD option. The SD 810 means you are back into the problematic territory of W8's launch, where the fall release put Lumia flagships in the awkward transition from the current chips and the new ones. Basically, this device will launch with an SoC that's 7-8 months-old, and the competition will put out 820-packing devices about 4-6 months later (in that typical spring windows for Android devices, which is when SD SoCs get refreshed).

I'd have to hear about some insane OIS/image algorithm improvements to be accepting of this device. I honestly don't mind the 810's presence, but the fact everything seems to check the "what do we HAVE to have?" boxes is so disappointing. I'd like to see a base of 64 GB of storage. I'd like to see a 1080p display over QHD because it's such a waste of battery life. I'd like to see even a small resolution bump on the camera, to maybe 25 MP (something to distinguish the optics from the base 940, and issue I felt would have been present between the 930 and 1520, if not for their spaced-out releases). Don't know optics well enough to understand what this flash will mean, but I don't even use the flash on my 920 because the low-light performance is already beyond good enough.

All of my whining, it's my way of saying I'd rather W10 launch with something amazing, not something on-par with the competition that already has the love of most consumers. It's the same issue of W8, where the hardware was pretty much what the competition was already offering to folks for 6-8 months with the Samsung Galaxy S III and HTC One X. I want Microsoft's flagship to be good, and I want it to succeed. The impressive existence of Continuum will be sweet, but on the hardware side, I want something other than that dumb iris scanner. Give me an IR blaster for TV control.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
This is shaping up to be a massively disappointing Windows 10 Mobile launch for me. Everything's just so heavily sitting in the bare-minimum realm. This alleged device is basically just a 1520 with a removable back and a moronic iris scanner. I'm sitting here wondering if the presence of an iris scanner isn't not only a non-beneficial feature, but something detrimental enough to keep me away from the device. How does iris recognition go over when you want to let someone borrow your phone for a bit? How's it go for when a kid wants to use a parent's phone for games? It just seems like a moronic piece of fluff, like fingerprint readers (I had one of those on a laptop years ago, and it was much more trouble than it was worth for the unlocking novelty).

Meanwhile, the rest just reeks of doing the absolute minimum to get by. A 20-MP camera matches the 2-year-old 1520, as does the 32-GB + microSD option. The SD 810 means you are back into the problematic territory of W8's launch, where the fall release put Lumia flagships in the awkward transition from the current chips and the new ones. Basically, this device will launch with an SoC that's 7-8 months-old, and the competition will put out 820-packing devices about 4-6 months later (in that typical spring windows for Android devices, which is when SD SoCs get refreshed).

I'd have to hear about some insane OIS/image algorithm improvements to be accepting of this device. I honestly don't mind the 810's presence, but the fact everything seems to check the "what do we HAVE to have?" boxes is so disappointing. I'd like to see a base of 64 GB of storage. I'd like to see a 1080p display over QHD because it's such a waste of battery life. I'd like to see even a small resolution bump on the camera, to maybe 25 MP (something to distinguish the optics from the base 940, and issue I felt would have been present between the 930 and 1520, if not for their spaced-out releases). Don't know optics well enough to understand what this flash will mean, but I don't even use the flash on my 920 because the low-light performance is already beyond good enough.

All of my whining, it's my way of saying I'd rather W10 launch with something amazing, not something on-par with the competition that already has the love of most consumers. It's the same issue of W8, where the hardware was pretty much what the competition was already offering to folks for 6-8 months with the Samsung Galaxy S III and HTC One X. I want Microsoft's flagship to be good, and I want it to succeed. The impressive existence of Continuum will be sweet, but on the hardware side, I want something other than that dumb iris scanner. Give me an IR blaster for TV control.
I think the iris scanner sounds great.
Windows hello demoed on Intel's real sense looked really nice, and if you don't want to use it then you fortunately won't have to use it, and also windows hello, like Apple's fingerpint scanning doesn't takeover the lockscreen alone.
If you set up Windows Hello, then when powering up your phone, just like demoed at the event, you will be prompted for a password like normal, but if you are the human Windows Hello was set up to recognize then the device will recognize you, unlock, and you will say "Hello Windows 10 for Phones". Happily ever After! :excited:

Also I'm not sure what laptop you used or how old it was, but I assure you that fingerprint tech has evolved and whatever laptop you used, must not have used fingerprint tech to it's best ability, as Apple's fingerprint sensor works flawless in my experience.

Also I agree with you about them not seeming to be preparing an astounding phone. It just seems like they just want to make a Lumia styled version of the android flagships running Windows 10. I honestly wish they would just make their own special processors for Lumia's, instead of using what Qualcomm whips up each year. That just keeps their flagship phone right on par with other OEM's, when they should be instead thriving to exceed the other OEM's in power/features.

I honestly expected/wanted the specs to be something more like...

Lumia Pro ( Sounds better than a three digit number so whatever, gonna stick with this moniker for now )\

• 5-5.2inch 1080p display, IPS LCD with great improvements to achieve the colors and blacks of AMOLED ( nothing wrong with 2k, but on 5inch, it is unnecessary)

An aluminum rim similar to the 830 (love the 1520/925/830 corners) with a back similar to the 930. Colored backs should be swappable, but not as easy and flimsy to plop off like the 830. Should be like the 925/930 back. Colors should include White, Black, Red, Yellow, Cyan, Orange, and Green.. If making this many back is a problem, they can sell the colored ones separately

Camera should be 41 megapixels with xenon flash or triple LED as said in rumors, improved lowlight, and greatly decreased graininess.. 4k recording of course

Front camera should be 5-8 megapixel

Processor should just IMO be powerful enough to run the phone smoothly for years to come, and run continuum with ease

Battery should be around 3000mah

I like AMOLED but due to the possibility of screen burn, worse sunlight readability, and less crispness. I think it would be simpler just to make an LCD with improved blacks and punchier colors.

All this while keeping the device at 8.5mm would be perfect

32gigs of built in storage with 64, and 128 size options would be nice. With the rise, promotion and beauty of the cloud, they should just not worry about micros and try and push OneDrive to keep files together
Lumia Pro XL

• All the same specs as above except with a 6inch 2k display (2k is still unnecessary at this size, but the bigger display needs to be somewhat sharper)

Also a bigger battery

And both Pro and Pro XL should have n trig open support
OneNote would be so great on phones with pen support!

I kinda went off tack and just gave my dream phone specs, but whatever

Last edited:

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
All sounds great except the stupid numbering scheme. Dump 940. Call it Lumia XL. Joe blow consumer doesn't care about this absurd set of #'s. I love WP and want it to succeed - keep the names simple and memorable

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

I don't care about a removable battery myself. Just make it big enough and I'm happy to keep the phone sealed up. Same with storage. 32 gig or more is plenty for me. To the cloud with everything else.

I agree, also removable batteries take away from the design being premium. The gaping tab at the bottom of the 830 ( and the fact that the back apparently flies off when dropped) just detracts from the design and screams "HEY IM A CHEAP BUDGET PHONE!!", while the front/sides of the device is busy screaming "HEY IM NOT CHEAP, LOOK AT MY METAL & MY BEAUTIFUL FRONT GLASS!!"

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site

I do a lot of video with my phone and there is no storage like internal storage. It works far better than sd cards. I hope they make 128 gigs an option.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
@ Keith & Bo...Between you, I think you nailed it. IPS screen. But, I would ditch 32gb memory, and just start at 64gb. A real differentiator, not some spec match to early 2015 flagships. And lets not forget that Apple launch around September time. So our devices need to look the part too. If only the Snapdragon 820 was launching a little earlier, we would be in a much better place.

Last edited:

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

How does the inclusion of an IRIS scanner even affect you? It doesn't stop you letting a friend use your phone, nor does it hinder kids playing with their parents phone. You're acting like Windows Hello is Biometric login only and no other way of getting into your device.

The original passcode method will still apply AND it wouldn't surprise me if you could add more then one set of user data for the IRIS scanner.

An IRIS scanner doesn't hinder your usage at all, if you don't want to use something that will only make your phone easier to use and more secure at the same time just DON'T USE IT! I hate people who moan about a feature that many will use just because they are seemingly incapable of turning the damn feature off or just not using it..

ccsnet

May 21, 2015
Visit site

Hi all - been a lurker here for a bit and as a Android fan since the early days I can only say I'm excited for Windows 10 ( been on Linix for a while ) and these new phones.

I'm hoping they are as good as they sound.

On the 'what do you need front' slower processors and lower res screens which work just as well save battery life. As a Note 3 user this would be a bonus :)

One question - Native Pen Support..... I've seen this mentioned in a number of places including here - Is there any details of what this is ?

Will the Pen come with the device ( ie Note style ) or buy separatly ( ie HTC style )... ?

Thanks

Terran

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I hope Windows Hello is fast enough so that one could avoid the lockscreen altogether. One of my little nitpicks is the mandatory lockscreen.

On phones that have glance I'd much rather go straight into the start screen...

macgyverated

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

Being an IT professional means nothing, many of us here are in IT. Almost any run of mill mid-level phone will accomplish most IT needs, as your 1020 demonstrates. The reasons many people need removable storage, better battery life, etc. is because of things like watching movies or taking lots of high res pictures and videos can use the space. Yes you can stream stuff, but that requires a good wifi or mobile connection and can quickly eat away your monthly data cap.

"In short, none of us really have anything at all to complain about." - Just because the phone is plenty good enough for you doesn't mean that the other people 'complaining' don't have valid arguments. There are tons of non-MS phones out there that provide all the things people are asking for, and it's a shame MS is content to give up that segment of the market with little fight.
So you have 1 post, but make the statement that "many of us here are in IT." How would you know? And if you have been "lurking" long enough to glean that info, I'm curious why you chose my posts to pop your head up and say something.
Yes, I'm in IT. But I also have Media Browser, Plex, several IP camera apps, home security and surveillance apps, Spotify, Hulu Plus, Netflix, Kindle, Insteon home automation, My Media Center (to work with my HTPC), and TeamViewer on my phone. I'm a very heavy data and media user, yet astonishingly, I never go over 1.5GB per month on data. I may use 20 GB on Wi-Fi, however. I guess my point is that if you are the kind of person that demands having a top-tier phone with bleeding edge specs, it's likely you also have Wi-fi at home, and most likely at work. And If not, you may be better served by scaling back a tad on the phone and buying a home wi-fi router.
Being in IT, I often am stuck at the office late or on the weekends doing updates. I have hundreds of MP3's and over 200 Kindle books on my phone, as well as (currently) 4 feature-length movies stored on there (compressed by Handbrake), and I still have 6GB of data left. I swap the movies out periodically. I don't feel a need to have my entire collection on there at all times.

And I never said others didn't have valid arguments or criticisms. In fact, I explicitly said it was okay to constructively offer suggestions and critiques. But that in no way negates the pervasive attitude of entitlement that many users have adopted, especially in the context of how much they have already received (often thanklessly) by those that work their butts off to create that technology.

Last edited by a moderator:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

How does the inclusion of an IRIS scanner even affect you? It doesn't stop you letting a friend use your phone, nor does it hinder kids playing with their parents phone. You're acting like Windows Hello is Biometric login only and no other way of getting into your device.

The original passcode method will still apply AND it wouldn't surprise me if you could add more then one set of user data for the IRIS scanner.

An IRIS scanner doesn't hinder your usage at all, if you don't want to use something that will only make your phone easier to use and more secure at the same time just DON'T USE IT! I hate people who moan about a feature that many will use just because they are seemingly incapable of turning the damn feature off or just not using it..
Actually, I wonder if phones under a policy restriction will be able to use the retina scanner over the passcode?

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site

I do a lot of video with my phone and there is no storage like internal storage. It works far better than sd cards. I hope they make 128 gigs an option.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Until I see the real thing, I'm taking all these rumors a pinch of salt. I'm more concern about if apps availability is going to pick up its speed after W10 for phone is released. Don't need powerful hardware where there is nothing to install on the phone.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

Not sure why it is a "fad", but I lay my phone on the charger every night. I would call it convenient and a must have feature.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I think the iris scanner sounds great.
Windows hello demoed on Intel's real sense looked really nice, and if you don't want to use it then you fortunately won't have to use it, and also windows hello, like Apple's fingerpint scanning doesn't takeover the lockscreen alone.
If you set up Windows Hello, then when powering up your phone, just like demoed at the event, you will be prompted for a password like normal, but if you are the human Windows Hello was set up to recognize then the device will recognize you, unlock, and you will say "Hello Windows 10 for Phones". Happily ever After! :excited:

Also I'm not sure what laptop you used or how old it was, but I assure you that fingerprint tech has evolved and whatever laptop you used, must not have used fingerprint tech to it's best ability, as Apple's fingerprint sensor works flawless in my experience.

Also I agree with you about them not seeming to be preparing an astounding phone. It just seems like they just want to make a Lumia styled version of the android flagships running Windows 10. I honestly wish they would just make their own special processors for Lumia's, instead of using what Qualcomm whips up each year. That just keeps their flagship phone right on par with other OEM's, when they should be instead thriving to exceed the other OEM's in power/features.

I honestly expected/wanted the specs to be something more like...

Lumia Pro ( Sounds better than a three digit number so whatever, gonna stick with this moniker for now )\

• 5-5.2inch 1080p display, IPS LCD with great improvements to achieve the colors and blacks of AMOLED ( nothing wrong with 2k, but on 5inch, it is unnecessary)

An aluminum rim similar to the 830 (love the 1520/925/830 corners) with a back similar to the 930. Colored backs should be swappable, but not as easy and flimsy to plop off like the 830. Should be like the 925/930 back. Colors should include White, Black, Red, Yellow, Cyan, Orange, and Green.. If making this many back is a problem, they can sell the colored ones separately

Camera should be 41 megapixels with xenon flash or triple LED as said in rumors, improved lowlight, and greatly decreased graininess.. 4k recording of course

Front camera should be 5-8 megapixel

Processor should just IMO be powerful enough to run the phone smoothly for years to come, and run continuum with ease

Battery should be around 3000mah

I like AMOLED but due to the possibility of screen burn, worse sunlight readability, and less crispness. I think it would be simpler just to make an LCD with improved blacks and punchier colors.

All this while keeping the device at 8.5mm would be perfect

32gigs of built in storage with 64, and 128 size options would be nice. With the rise, promotion and beauty of the cloud, they should just not worry about micros and try and push OneDrive to keep files together
Lumia Pro XL

• All the same specs as above except with a 6inch 2k display (2k is still unnecessary at this size, but the bigger display needs to be somewhat sharper)

Also a bigger battery

And both Pro and Pro XL should have n trig open support
OneNote would be so great on phones with pen support!

I kinda went off tack and just gave my dream phone specs, but whatever

A lot of what you said at the start is kind of my point, though. Unless you're dying to unlock your phone with your eye (and how reliable will the tech even be, to know when you want the device open, vs. using Glance?), there's just not that much going on with this device. Fingerprint tech's improved, but it's still something where if you don't line the finger up properly, it's going to be problematic. I'm not one to use a password on my phone because I don't hand my phone out to people or leave it on a random table. The iris scanner just sounds like another potential means of gathering personal data (I'm 100% a paranoid person with this stuff, no lies), and it sounds like more of a meaningless gimmick than something to offer meaningful functionality to the OS and its handsets.

For SoCs, I'm fine with Qualcomm's stuff, partially because the alternatives are somewhat lacking (Samsung doesn't push its chips to other OEMs, and Intel's not shown that Atom chips can power phones well),. The problem is that Microsoft wants to use the Apple release schedule when it's 6 months AFTER the hardware launches. They could get away with on-par SoCs to Galaxy and One devices if they were launching phones in the spring, but they're not. They're using on-par hardware 6 months late, which means the fresh Lumia chips are about to get replaced, and the improved stuff's already been at least somewhat announced, making the new Lumia stuff nearly dead.

As for your ideal specs, I don't care for most of it. It's just whatever on a page. I'd take anything from 4.5-6.0" and any display resolution of 1080p higher, as resolution on the display just doesn't get me excited. I'd take 32 GB of storage base with microSD, I get by fine with the 32 GB in my 920. Honestly, the ho-hum upgrades would be fine if they launched alongside the Android competition, but the fact it is 6 months late makes me want more because the SoC's about to get replaced/improved upon. That's why I ask for things like the improved camera from the 930/1520 and more storage.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

If you are that paranoid you are at much grater risk having yourself compromised by a stolen phone or snooper than anything else.

Now the stuff Microsoft "could" do with something like Kinect can be a source of paranoia. :) That can tech can identify individuals, their moods and listen in on conversations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett