950XL features leaked

Mike Santagata

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: 940XL features leaked

I actually prefer the phones without removable batteries. Sealed battery phoned feel more sturdy to me. Plus, have increased resistance to water damage, and less chance of battery issues (swelling, becoming loose, etc)

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

A few pics to wet the appetite!!

After seeing this I had to sit back and enjoy a smoke............ WoW !!

Pop a little color on that body with some Cyan and I am a happy guy !!! If indeed it will have Pen support....does Microsoft make a Cyan Pen?

Pavlov would be proud.....this old dog is drooling in anticipation !!!!!!

macgyverated

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

Johnny. my response was less about anything MS is or is not doing, and more about the elitist mentality of many. As I said in my original post, it's perfectly okay and understandable to make construction suggestions and critiques.
But as someone who works with tech, and tech users, for a living, I've grown tired of the "gimme, gimme, gimme!" attitude. It's not just Windows Phone, I see Android/iPhone/Mac/etc. users do the same thing all the time. Entitlement.
And yes, while you owe MS nothing but the MSRP, they also do not owe you or anyone else constant access to bleeding edge tech specs. They have a TON of stuff, all interrelated, going on right now that is nothing short of revolutionary for them as a company. It takes a lot of work and coordination.
And even aside from all of that, the leaked specs are pretty awesome. The only thing I see people really complaining about is the 32GB internal. So add a card.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

And even aside from all of that, the leaked specs are pretty awesome. The only thing I see people really complaining about is the 32GB internal. So add a card.

100% Agree These Specs of the 940XL make my Lumia 1020 look older and slower. As to the 32 Gig Storage, on the same 1020 I have never run into an issue of space. Even at my Sister's Wedding ( to her 5th Husband :eck:), I helped Video much of what happened in 1080 with my Sony Handycam and Lumia 1020. Both have 32 Gig (less on the 1020 as I did not take out anything and also took pictures). Thank goodness for the Camera Grip Battery!!!
32 Gig is a sweet spot for storage.
Now if the 940 comes with Mini SD slot add a 64 Gig.....only people with ripped TV shows /movies will need more.

Heck grab a 128 Gig and live life happy !!!!!!

pepsicocom

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

I think it could be adapted for wireless charging with an Incipio style cover, but it would have to be a little thick to avoid unintended induction.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

Oh me yes. I am dying for a 5.7 inch device from Microsoft. I can't go any smaller than that. The 1520 was awesome, but I couldn't sit down without taking the phone out of my pocket. Meanwhile my note 4 fits perfectly. Only a small difference in screen size. I hope they also watch the bezels. The 6+ from apple is larger than the note 4, yet has a smaller screen. The only dimension in which it is better is thinness but in all honesty, that doesn't mean anything to me... I prefer a chunky phone with good battery life than a thin phone with less battery life, and not to mention that you can bend it with ease...

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk

Did you ever experience ghost taps with your yellow 1520?

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Did you ever experience ghost taps with your yellow 1520?
Yes. All the time. It didn't really bother me so much because it only happened once every day or maybe twice a day. But it wasn't a big deal.

I hope this newly rumored 940XL doesn't have any issues like that. I also hope that it's easier to keep in the pocket. Hehe.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

Yes. All the time. It didn't really bother me so much because it only happened once every day or maybe twice a day. But it wasn't a big deal.

I hope this newly rumored 940XL doesn't have any issues like that. I also hope that it's easier to keep in the pocket. Hehe.

HaHa I just noticed you have your Phone history as your signature.. Which did you like better? The 930 or 1520?

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

HaHa I just noticed you have your Phone history as your signature.. Which did you like better? The 930 or 1520?
1520 was the best device. The 930 was better for portability... Camera was more saturated in 930, which I liked more. But they are almost identical. I uploaded pictures somewhere here with the comparison...

pepsicocom

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Iris scanning will be just like Cortana for me - useless. It's personal preference. I don't think it will matter to anyone who doesn't want to use it.

A lot of what you said at the start is kind of my point, though. Unless you're dying to unlock your phone with your eye (and how reliable will the tech even be, to know when you want the device open, vs. using Glance?), there's just not that much going on with this device. Fingerprint tech's improved, but it's still something where if you don't line the finger up properly, it's going to be problematic. I'm not one to use a password on my phone because I don't hand my phone out to people or leave it on a random table. The iris scanner just sounds like another potential means of gathering personal data (I'm 100% a paranoid person with this stuff, no lies), and it sounds like more of a meaningless gimmick than something to offer meaningful functionality to the OS and its handsets.

For SoCs, I'm fine with Qualcomm's stuff, partially because the alternatives are somewhat lacking (Samsung doesn't push its chips to other OEMs, and Intel's not shown that Atom chips can power phones well),. The problem is that Microsoft wants to use the Apple release schedule when it's 6 months AFTER the hardware launches. They could get away with on-par SoCs to Galaxy and One devices if they were launching phones in the spring, but they're not. They're using on-par hardware 6 months late, which means the fresh Lumia chips are about to get replaced, and the improved stuff's already been at least somewhat announced, making the new Lumia stuff nearly dead.

As for your ideal specs, I don't care for most of it. It's just whatever on a page. I'd take anything from 4.5-6.0" and any display resolution of 1080p higher, as resolution on the display just doesn't get me excited. I'd take 32 GB of storage base with microSD, I get by fine with the 32 GB in my 920. Honestly, the ho-hum upgrades would be fine if they launched alongside the Android competition, but the fact it is 6 months late makes me want more because the SoC's about to get replaced/improved upon. That's why I ask for things like the improved camera from the 930/1520 and more storage.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm eager to see it in action, but also think I may not use it. Particularly as my kids use Kids Corner so much. Hopefully they will allow access to that without iris recognition. They currently don't let you have a PIN just for the main screen, so possibly not. Kids Corner is great, and I can hand my phone to any kid without fear of them messing up my stuff. Hope they keep it.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I got my new Windows Mobile phone - 735 RN-1039!

But if the 940XL not going have SD micro card expansion and has only 32GB of storage option; it dead in the water for 2015 sales!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

I got my new Windows Mobile phone - 735 RN-1039!

But if the 940XL not going have SD micro card expansion and has only 32GB of storage option; it dead in the water for 2015 sales!

Is it really when the Samsung Galaxy S6 doesn't have one either, and Apple has never had one? Though, I hope it does have a Micro SD card slot, but if they give options on size, then I'll be happy with that more than the slot (no having to move apps back and forth).

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

The thing about apple and Android is you can backup all your app data without the SD card. It helps on Android if you do, but it's not necessary... But while I was using Windows Phone, I saw that the apps that did allow local backup only did so to the SD card. So no SD card means no backup for whatsapp, for example. Lame in my opinion if you ask me... So an SD card would be 100% necessary for me unless they open up their storage options while connecting to USB or something like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss