950XL features leaked

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: 940XL features leaked

This is the concept design for 940 , original wont look like this.

Concept designs are great, but, they are usually just beyond the achievable. I love seeing them, and marvelling at them, but they set my own bar too high.

For the 940s I don't actually expect any jaw dropping designs. But, the Nokia designers are a talented bunch, as are the MS design teams.

Can't wait to see the real thing.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Talkman won't have iris scanning or continuum, judging by the rumours. Will also have the 808 snapdragon. So only the Cityman is the flagship. Shame.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Real or fake, when they announce specs for their next high end device it can be made of adamantium steel and drive your car for you and people still wouldn't be satisfied,

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

I have to say that I find myself a bit surprised at all the negative reaction to the specs.
I'm an IT professional and I use my phone A LOT. For A LOT of different things. It's a 1020.
Not that I would turn down a micro SD slot, but I've never hit the limit of the phone's built-in memory. The phone's 768 screen is plenty sharp and vibrant, and the device response and app load times are great. There is almost nothing that I need it to do that I won't do, and I'd venture to say that as an IT professional, my actual needs surpass those of many.

So here we have specs leaked that blow those of my 1020 out of the water (with perhaps the exception of the camera) and so many of you are just like, "Whatever".
Have we become so jaded that we are no longer impressed for more than 10 minutes at the AMAZING amount of technology packed into these small devices?
I feel that evaluating phones is not unlike evaluating cars. The specs are only part of the story. The combination of all the specs in to the experince of using it, much like the experince of driving a car, can at times become more than the sum of their parts. A Mazda Miata/MX-5 is not going to win in ANY objective measure of performance against a Corvette or Lamborghini. But it is a BLAST to drive, and one of the most rewarding driving experiences one can have.
And as we should all know, Windows Phone has always run better (or just as well) on lesser hardware than iOS or Android.

In short, none of us really have anything at all to complain about. And if you think you do, I'd suggest its rooted more in bragging rights than actual need.

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to make ever better devices. I'm not saying that the progress of technology should stop. But more and more as I read these forums, I leave with the feeling that all I've done is listen to a bunch of whiny, spoiled, petulant children moan and complain because the device in question isn't sufficiently "shiny" enough to warrant their time and break through their short attention span.
I'm not a sports fan, but how many of you would immediately ditch your favorite team just because they lost a few games in a row, or had a bad season?
Folks, the only way Windows Phone is going to survive and eventually thrive is if we stand behind it and support it. If we remain committed fans. If we continue to root for the underdog and not be led away by another device with better specs (especially when, overwhelmingly, most of you don't really even need the improvement). It's okay to constructively point out flaws and shortcomings, and make suggestions. But this "It's just not good enough for my inflated ego" attitude that has become so prevalent is off-putting. That's the kind of attitude I'd expect from hipster iSheep, not people that are open-minded and technically savvy enough to explore other options.

Wow! Nicely put. I agree 100%

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

I hope the flagships take on a 925/1520 type look. You know slim, "cat ear" corners, and medium/decent sized but prominent camera bump.

Unlike the 1520 it should have an aluminum rim like the 925 with different colored poly carbonate backs, that can be easily swapped, but also are seamless with the back of the phone, unlike the 830 which has an unsightly gaping tab at the bottom, which IMO makes the device look cheap.

Perhaps something like a pin key could be popped into a small hole on the back to pop off the rear colorful back... like how the sim pin door key goes into a small hole to pop out the sim tray..

Also the backs should come in
Red,yellow,cyan,orange,green,black and white, and maybe grey....and of course silver and dark grey aluminum frames

NokianWP

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

Sounds like a pretty solid device. Hopeful for removable battery+MsD slot, 64gb option and qi wireless charging. Give me those, and I'll be a happy consumer!!

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site

Real or fake, when they announce specs for their next high end device it can be made of adamantium steel and drive your car for you and people still wouldn't be satisfied,

Completely with you on this one, its very hard to satisfy everyone. There are always a group of people who want something that others dont.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

As someone who is thinking about giving Windows phone one last chance I really hope that the phones will come with AMOLED display. The displays in the latest Samsung flagships really are in a class of their own! I currently use the S6 edge and the display is ridiculous.
Galaxy S6 display is "best ever" on a smartphone | Alphr
A friend of mine has one, and the screen is very nice. But I always fancied an IPS one.

MadDogFL62

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Chill. It will be an exclusive release to only 1 US Carrier. Then, Verizon will want their own version 2 to 4 months later. Then the $50 variants will start coming out 6 months later, but only to 1 or 2 other carriers. THIS exclusivity practice will be the demise of Lumia. (I'll leave buggy and overcomplicated OS and APP gap out of the equation.)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Iris scanning will be just like Cortana for me - useless. It's personal preference. I don't think it will matter to anyone who doesn't want to use it.

Agreed. My main complaint is that these flagships are focusing on fluff over universal improvements. An iris scanner is just a new thing that underwhelms in reality, IMO, like Kinect. I'd much rather see that hardware cost put into things like better storage or faster chips, just as I think that a big number of console consumers would have rather paid $500 for an Xbox One with a better APU, rather than getting an underutilized Kinect.

So, while use is ultimately just a preference thing you can choose to engage in or not, the problem is that the R&D and device costs are going towards things that many won't care about, and the rest of the device's underwhelming nature is likely a direct result of that.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Good point, well put. While I'd like to see it in action, it certainly was not a feature I would want. Particularly as it will likely have meant a cut elsewhere. Decent screen (1080 is high enough, but let it be top notch), decent battery, high end processor, RAM and components.

eb110americana

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

Overall, the specs sound good--and what I would expect. I hope the rumors of decontenting the regular "940" below the XL are not true. Obviously the screen will be smaller, as well as the battery, but I'd hope they'd keep the same capabilities in two sizes. I'll probably get the XL anyway, as I use my phone rather than a laptop or tablet when I am on the go, but I'd like that option for others.

If they stick with 32GB storage, they had better have a micro SD card slot. As those things have gotten so cheap, even at 128GB, I don't see why not simply hardwire one into the onboard storage and be done with it. That is one way to one-up the competition. All flagship Microsoft Lumia/Surface phones come standard with 128GB built in, no extra charge.

The camera is another area where Lumia phones have traditionally lead the pack. No one can yet challenge the 1020. 20MP will probably be fine (hopefully not 15MP+5MP images for every shot), and the Carl Zeiss optics will likely be excellent. Still, Microsoft could have looked at dropping the 1020 cam, intact, into this phone--or a special variant of it. I know several people with 1020s, who got them simply for the camera, and who still use the phones everyday. I also hope the triple flash is better than the double-LED unit on my 925. The light distribution is terrible, as too much is focused on the center and it rapidly fades out from there. My friend's single-LED Galaxy S2 easily puts it to shame. Why no Xenon flash?

I know some don't like the trend to larger screens, but I think it is inevitable, and functional. The sizes chosen for the 940 and XL seem ideal. I don't agree with the QHD display res though. I think that will just eat battery life and tax the processor in order to drive more pixels. I doubt that anyone would be able to see a difference compared to 1080p at that size. It's just good bragging rights. I really don't get the demand for IPS LCD displays. Some of the best screens out there now are from Samsung (S6, Note) and they are S-AMOLED. I have AMOLED on my 925, been using it for 2 years and have no issues with screen burn in, and sunlight readability is good (the biggest knock against it is the terrible WP brightness control that everyone hates). AMOLED has better, darker blacks, more vibrant colors, and is thinner (if it bends, the support needs to be thicker, not the screen). Glance screen is also tailor made for AMOLED, as it only turns on individual pixels, saving battery life. IPS needs to power up the whole backlight for Glance.

Having the latest-greatest SoC and more RAM is good, but so long as we can waive goodbye to the ever-present "Resuming..." messages, and the camera launches within 1 second instead of 10, I think most people will be happy. WP has always run faster and more efficiently on the same hardware, so it will likely leave little performance on the table. Perhaps an updated model could come out down the road with the 820 SoC, a-la the "S" model iPhones. Ultimately, if it runs fast and is thin, people will be impressed.

I'm very excited about Continuum, and hope that there will be more opportunities to use it on the phone. A built-in N-trig pen would be great. I currently don't use a password on my phone, as I find unlocking it every time to be tedious (I'll just lock it remotely, if I lose it). This could make the iris scanner a convenient solution for me if it doesn't introduce a significant delay. And USB type-C: time to get all new chargers! (At least we won't have to play the "flip it this way or that way" game anymore.) I definitely want wireless charging too. Very useful in the car for NAV so that you don't have to put the phone in the cradle AND plug it in (also, much neater without the extra cables, if you wire it up right). GM cars are starting to build in wireless charging for phones if you put them in the console too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6