950XL features leaked

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: 940XL features leaked

I would fully expect that screen size will not be the only differential between the phones. The 640 devices have significant differences, aside from screen size, and I expect the Cityman and Talkman to follow that trend.

You have warmed me to the Amoled screen. And I agree about the 1080p bit.

I have seen rumours that Continuum and the iris scanning are for the 5.7 device only. Which is a pity.

I don't like the idea of a 940 S, as that would cheese off much of the user base, including me. I'd love the 820 inside, and would wait until November for that. Xioami are rumoured to be launching an 820 device in November.

Can I make the leap to 5.7inches though?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

A friend of mine has one, and the screen is very nice. But I always fancied an IPS one.

I agree. Manufacturers Cain tweak/modify/improve IPS LCD displays to achieve AMOLED colors, and deep blacks. This is clearly evident in phones like the Nokia Lumia 1520, and that device came out late 2013. Just imagine how great the Nokia/Microsoft team can make an IPS LCD display in 2015.

On the other hand the issues with AMOLED displays are somewhat harder to work with. With AMOLED displays there is the possibility of Screen Burn/Ghosting, More energy consumption unless over a black background, and less sharpness/crispness compared to LCD.

I personally don't care what screen tech they go with, just as long as they do some improvements with the two issues LCD displays have, or the three issues AMOLED displays seem to have

eb110americana

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

I have seen rumours that Continuum and the iris scanning are for the 5.7 device only. Which is a pity.

I don't like the idea of a 940 S, as that would cheese off much of the user base, including me. I'd love the 820 inside, and would wait until November for that. Xioami are rumoured to be launching an 820 device in November.

If that is the case, the 820 would make more sense, but the consensus seemed to be that we wouldn't see 820 devices until roughly 6 months after the 940/XL. November (possibly even December) seems likely timing for new flagships with Win 10. Due to the Nokia>Microsoft changeover, we have been without a flagship for too long, and I think all would agree that delaying another half-year is out of the question. In that case, the next-best solution would be a mid-cycle upgrade. They often do this with tablets and laptops, frequently without even advertising the changeover. "940 S" is merely a comparison to the S model iPhones. It could stay 940 (v2), the name isn't really what I was getting at.

I agree. The Continuum and iris scanning should be spread as far and wide as possible. I'd think they'd put the latter on every device with a FF camera they could. Otherwise, they will likely be relegated to niche features. 940 flagship without Continuum, without Windows Hello, and using a lesser 808 processor with fewer cores hardly seems a flagship phone. We definitely don't need more midranges or entry phones. What is so hard about building the same phone in two different sizes and letting consumers choose? If not, then they shouldn't be 940 and 940XL. Just call one 840 and the other 940 and be done with it.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Don't you just love when people make bold statements like that, as if they were Satya Nadella himself? Hilarious.

Bold statements are hard cold facts sadly. See how Satya Nadella is making apps so much better on rival platforms than on WP? I think is time we know that WP is no longer the priority for Microsoft, but only Windows 10 and its cloud services.

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

Actually, I wonder if phones under a policy restriction will be able to use the retina scanner over the passcode?

I don't see why not, usually policy restrictions just require some form of lock whether it's passcode, password or biometric data.

I doubt Windows 10 will differentiate between the two as an IRIS scanner is proper biometric data like a fingerprint rather then some gimmicky front facing camera facial recognition unlock or voice unlock.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I've read all 7 pages of this thread but I still have one question: Why would I want to give up my 1520 for a 940XL?

joeinbh

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

If you're happy with your 1520, I agree - it's not a compelling upgrade. My 1520 has been having call quality issues lately and the rotation lock/accelerometer has been buggy, so I'm going back and forth between buying another 1520 and waiting for the 940 XL to come out. With the possible exceptions of making our pocket computers/phones nearly indestructible and giving them weeklong battery life, improvements for the foreseeable future are going to be extremely incremental. I remember when people were upgrading home PC's every two years. Now (much to the industry's chagrin), PC upgrade cycles are more like TVs - if you want to keep up with the latest technology, no need to upgrade more than every 5 years or so, and if you don't care about the latest features, you can go much longer than that. My work PC is nearly 6 years old, and my home desktop PC is older than that, and both are still completely usable in 2015. As the pocket computer/phone upgrade cycle lengthens, upgrades will be driven more by hardware failure (as in my case) rather than the need to have the shiniest new device on the market.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Not used a 1520. But is the screen not higher res, and possibly better quality? More RAM and a better processor can't hurt. I would fully expect a slightly better camera. Not sure on the battery, but it will have had less cycles on charge. The fact that continuum or biometric entry may be included. Better pocket fitability. Nicer design (possibly). Faster USB. Wireless charging. Longer firmware updates.

Depends on your needs. You do of course have the option to stick with the 1520. My 920 is still going strong, but showing its age a little.

K Raghu

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

of Micro Nokia came into play have not seen any groundbreaking technology with any of the phones, the last one was 1520 ( which we can argue was not as great as 1020 or 808) but still was a bigger screen and now with camera beta app takes great pic.

will wait for 1530/1540 or wait for Nokia to be back in 2016 if they plan to make a phone..

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

I've read all 7 pages of this thread but I still have one question: Why would I want to give up my 1520 for a 940XL?

None of us here can answer that unless somebody here is behind the scenes at Microsoft as we don't know what the 940xl will for sure bring, and lastly we do not even know if it will be called that

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Unless this so called high end phone from Microsoft is going to hit the market in the next few month I have a feeling it going to struggle for sales, Other phone Manufactures are already talking about using the new 820 chipset in there phones with a possible release date before December. And I would prefer the fingerprint scanner for unlocking the phone unless the iris scanner works flawlessly. For myself I would prefer to wait an extra month or 2 and have the newer chip. And Microsoft do yourself a favour tell us 2 weeks before the phone is going to be available for sale in store not months.:wink:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

You can pretty much assume it will have an improved camera sensor, better screen, faster processor, more RAM... Windows 10.

Same as every new phone.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

I agree. Manufacturers Cain tweak/modify/improve IPS LCD displays to achieve AMOLED colors, and deep blacks. This is clearly evident in phones like the Nokia Lumia 1520, and that device came out late 2013. Just imagine how great the Nokia/Microsoft team can make an IPS LCD display in 2015.

Not possible. You can bump up the color saturation but there's only so much you can do about the black level on a ips display. The 1520s black level is a dark gray compared to the amoled screen on my 820.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Yup. They each have pro's and con's. LCD's tend to be brighter and usually more color accurate. AMOLEDS have deeper blacks and more color saturation, often look more Vivid.

AMOLED's are also prone to burn in and motion blur on fast scrolling, if you're sensitive to it. I personally am.

I like them both and dislike them both. Lol.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site

I personally love Windows phone and Microsoft, but if the 940 is a bust I'll have to switch. I hate my Lumia icon (not because of the operating system) and could use a high end phone that actually works. I had high hopes for my icon but it has failed. It has extreme battery heating issues and is very slow. If the 940 isn't better, bye bye Windows phone.

danielcalutul

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site

Indeed 1520 still is a powerful device. But more ram and new powerful procesor will help a lot with new application. Same the OS windows 10 is better integrate in native phone than in updated phone.
other think continuum application or Xbox one integration will he better in native phones that updated one's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99