950XL features leaked

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: 940XL features leaked

Not possible. You can bump up the color saturation but there's only so much you can do about the black level on a ips display. The 1520s black level is a dark gray compared to the amoled screen on my 820.

My IPS screen is pretty good on my 920. The blacks are superb.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Went to a phone shop today, saw the 640. Looked for some 5.7inch phones, came across the Galaxy Note 4. Can't decide if it is too big. I was just trying to get an idea of the likely size of the 5.7 940 xl. Yes I am aware that they are rumoured specs. But, I am of the opinion that they will be correct.

5.2inch will be was enough to jump to. Was hoping to see a 640xl, but I don't think anybody stocks them in UK.

Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

most decent screens will look perfect to you unless you have something to compare, my friend's 8X makes my 928's whites look yellow, while his dark backgrounds look grey and out of place compared to my 928's, but if you only use one of them, you wont notice either's limitations

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Fair point. Hopefully, whatever screen it comes with will be better than my 920. It is getting ready for an upgrade. I am enjoying the lower tariff, but I imagine that whatever comes next will feel like a real upgrade. Roll on October/November. Hopefully MS hangs out for an 820!

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

CB Stuart, I know you will HATE hearing this, but I had the exact same problem with my Lumia Icon until recently. What happened is that I upgraded it to Win 10 TP, but that was a complete NIGHTMARE! I reverted it back to Windows 8.1, but was having the same problems you are describing. So, I read on another forum that it is better to reimage your Lumia Icon and then reinstall the apps one at a time from the store. DO NOT use the recovery option for your apps. I did this and my Lumia Icon is running perfectly. Battery usage was cut considerably, no more heating up, and all of my apps are working much better. No more "...loading" on the screen either. Give this a try and let me know if it works as good for you as it did for me. My Lumia Icon is now like a brand new phone!

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

most decent screens will look perfect to you unless you have something to compare, my friend's 8X makes my 928's whites look yellow, while his dark backgrounds look grey and out of place compared to my 928's, but if you only use one of them, you wont notice either's limitations
The yellowish whites of the 928 were irritating me so I went into Display and turned down the color temperature all the way down to cool, and now my whites are perfect just like an LCD display. But turning the temperature all the way down to cool also just like an LCD display washes out the colors, so to combat this I turned saturation all the way up.

So now I have the best of both worlds! :D

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Not in the dim room. The viewing angles on the 920's screen are also really poor. My 820's screen completely destroys my 920 in everything except in detail and color accuracy.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Not in the dim room. The viewing angles on the 920's screen are also really poor. My 820's screen completely destroys my 920 in everything except in detail and color accuracy.

If you would be kind enough to post me your 820 I will happily compare and report back! I'm kidding. I am intrigued to compare my phone with my partner's now though. In any case, I suspect that whatever I get from now will beat my 920.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

With streaming being the current big thing, 32GB onboard can be plenty.

I understand it might be enough for many, but not for everyone. The option for cloud and its promise are nice, but I still filled up my 32 GB phone in a few months. I don't have an unlimited data plan, so I like to have my most used music playlists available offline. So between music, apps, podcasts and pictures my phone's storage is already pretty low. Pictures being the only thing I can probably don't care about being always available offline.

So at least I do prefer to have the option of buying a 64 GB phone and not having to care about the reliability of MicroSD cards, or about even having to buy one for a new high-end phone.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I want this phone NOW, dammit!

Me too, and I am expecting MS to have some decent bundles with it too! I'd actually be stoked if they chucked in a 365 bundle, or year of Xbox music. I have two wireless charging plates and a Bluetooth speaker already.

indospot

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site

I think AMOLED beats the heck out of anything else. I had a Lumia 820 and now have a 640, and while the screen is pretty good, I miss AMOLED a lot.

Ozone06

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

No

I was looking at the 640xl the other day at a MSFT store in Mississauga, Canadian here eh?, It's a nice phone, a bit light compared to my 920 and the bevel is a bit wide. I wanted it, buut i want a 940xl more I just need to pray to the battery gods for the next 4-6 months for it to hold out!

pepsicocom

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

I have a 1520 and I want this phone NOW. Anyway, here is one more reason: my 1520 is more than two years old. I haven't had power problems yet but of course it is only a matter of time...

Indeed 1520 still is a powerful device. But more ram and new powerful procesor will help a lot with new application. Same the OS windows 10 is better integrate in native phone than in updated phone.
other think continuum application or Xbox one integration will he better in native phones that updated one's.

pepsicocom

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

The specs of the 940xl are head and shoulders above the 640xl specs. The 640xl would be an upgrade from the 920 but for a similar price I would hold out for the 940xl.

No

I was looking at the 640xl the other day at a MSFT store in Mississauga, Canadian here eh?, It's a nice phone, a bit light compared to my 920 and the bevel is a bit wide. I wanted it, buut i want a 940xl more I just need to pray to the battery gods for the next 4-6 months for it to hold out!

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I've read all 7 pages of this thread but I still have one question: Why would I want to give up my 1520 for a 940XL?

I want to thank those who answered my question. I asked it because for some reason I can't get excited about the 940XL. I got my 1520 when they first came out and I've been very happy with it, so happy that I haven't considered replacing it. I know it's getting long in the tooth (almost 2 years old) but it does what I want and need it to do. Truth is I'll get a 940LX when they come out but I won't be in a hurry. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a 1520 successor.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

I want to thank those who answered my question. I asked it because for some reason I can't get excited about the 940XL. I got my 1520 when they first came out and I've been very happy with it, so happy that I haven't considered replacing it. I know it's getting long in the tooth (almost 2 years old) but it does what I want and need it to do. Truth is I'll get a 940LX when they come out but I won't be in a hurry. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a 1520 successor.
The 940xl IS the supposed/rumored 1520 successor

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

The 940xl IS the supposed/rumored 1520 successor

It is 0.3" smaller but I'd like to believe the screen will be one of its selling points and worth the upgrade from 1520. Still keeping my fingers crossed for a jaw-dropping, sleek and minimalist design... Can't wait to see it! My current Lumia 925 is ready to retire.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte