10-31-2015 07:30 AM
191 ... 5678
tools
    You will forget all about the fingerprint scanner, which in apple is not that great. My son's broke on his about month after having it. When it did work it was sporatic and not consistant. The iris scanner will be awesome. just glance at your phone and bam, unlocked.
    10-02-2015 04:07 AM
    Call me old-fashioned, but one of the reasons I moved from iPhone to the Lumia 930 was for the better GSM reception.

If the 950XL loses signal as easy as the iPhone etc., I won't be buying.
    10-03-2015 04:27 AM
    I would hope with what i'm hearing they're going to charge for these phones, that they won't be last years technology.
    10-04-2015 08:07 PM
    I wouldn't say last years tech or this year's tech, but this/last Gen. Considering we know about new SoC months before they even arrive on a phone. The 808 and 810 are very much this Gen. There's nothing newer and won't be for months after these phones release. An SD805 would be last Gen and upsetting, unless it was priced accordingly...

It's hard to grasp the concept of this being old or outdated hardware when there's nothing newer and won't be for months...

Posted via Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/ Lumia 2520
    10-05-2015 07:06 PM
    I wouldn't say last years tech or this year's tech, but this/last Gen. Considering we know about new SoC months before they even arrive on a phone. The 808 and 810 are very much this Gen. There's nothing newer and won't be for months after these phones release. An SD805 would be last Gen and upsetting, unless it was priced accordingly...

It's hard to grasp the concept of this being old or outdated hardware when there's nothing newer and won't be for months...

Wasn't the Snapdragon 805 supposed too be in the first specs' of the Lumia 940 before they desire 64-bit S808 &S810?

My bet is August 2016 if you want new Lumia 960 & 960 XL with S820 & Win10.1 Mobile "Redstone" in it! Oh and don't forget about increasing the RAM count with most 2016 phones coming with 4GB to 6GB of RAM not that Win10 Mobile needs it just saying.
    10-05-2015 08:27 PM
    Call me old-fashioned, but one of the reasons I moved from iPhone to the Lumia 930 was for the better GSM reception.

If the 950XL loses signal as easy as the iPhone etc., I won't be buying.
    that is the reason I bought the 1020 too. Better call quality than any other phone. I would say that the new ones have just as good. They are not going to screw with that.
    10-06-2015 06:02 AM
    They seem fine, I'm much more concerned about WP10 & it's OS apps...
    10-06-2015 10:25 PM
    Just keeping it real and saying nope I wouldn't buy it with outdated hardware.
    10-06-2015 11:34 PM
    Next gen phones from MS is not Lumia but Surface phones and will land in first half of 2016.Surface team are already top notch with their products with no leaks etc. Lumia 950XL and Lumia 950 are not meant to break records but to fill the flag ship gap.
    10-08-2015 05:29 AM
    Most people forget that WP8/WP10 needs much less CPU power and memory due to the OS architecture compared to Android. It's more like IOS... Look at Apples "outdated" IPhones 6s hardware ;)
    10-08-2015 07:35 AM
    Most people forget that WP8/WP10 needs much less CPU power and memory due to the OS architecture compared to Android. It's more like IOS... Look at Apples "outdated" IPhones 6s hardware ;)
    That argument used to hold water until devices like the 1520 and Ativ SE came out with good CPUs and 2 gigs of RAM. There is no such thing as having too much horsepower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-08-2015 12:49 PM
    That argument used to hold water until devices like the 1520 and Ativ SE came out with good CPUs and 2 gigs of RAM. There is no such thing as having too much horsepower.

Not true, there needs to be a balance overall, no need for a lot of power if it is not going to be used. Saw this when they first started releasing androids with quad cores, they had them but they were not any faster than the duo cores, cause nothing was designed for them. And you need to balance what the operating system needs, and how much battery everything needs. And I think that windows offers the best overall. Great o/s that does not need alot of power and still runs extremely smooth. And just as fast as the latest android or iphone. But that is just my opinion.
    10-09-2015 01:02 AM
    Not true, there needs to be a balance overall, no need for a lot of power if it is not going to be used. Saw this when they first started releasing androids with quad cores, they had them but they were not any faster than the duo cores, cause nothing was designed for them. And you need to balance what the operating system needs, and how much battery everything needs. And I think that windows offers the best overall. Great o/s that does not need alot of power and still runs extremely smooth. And just as fast as the latest android or iphone. But that is just my opinion.
    I agree that WP doesn't need it per se, but on a high-end device like the ones I mentioned you see the difference. A 1520 or SE makes WP a lot more enjoyable than say a 520. Not necessarily faster, but worlds smoother.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-09-2015 08:49 AM
    Could you please tell me the down side of having a device that is unnecessarily powerful?? Lol

I wouldn't even classify these phones that way, anyways. The SD800 phones were as powerful as they needed. I own a 1020 and I owned a 1520 before. The 1520 was definitely a faster, smoother device. The SoC wasn't wasted.

WP is getting less and less efficient. The power is needed now. This isn't WP7/7.5 anymore.

Posted via the Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/Lumia 2520
    libra89 likes this.
    10-09-2015 05:44 PM
    Could you please tell me the down side of having a device that is unnecessarily powerful?? Lol
    Bad battery life.
    10-09-2015 09:05 PM
    Bad battery life.
    Not necessarily. Higher efficiency through optimization can improve battery life.

10-09-2015 09:26 PM
    So why to people think these are outdated specs? They seem just fine to me. These phones will probably we just as good if not better than whatever iphone or android phone is out at the time. Remember its how the power is used not necessary having the most power. Just cause said phone has a faster chip, doesn't mean the phone will be faster than one with a bit lower specs. Seen this with android phones, that claim to have the best parts inside, but still don't load up or run as smoothly as other phones do.
    10-10-2015 12:16 AM
  18. Chalanthorn Chanmathikornkul's Avatar
    So why to people think these are outdated specs? They seem just fine to me. These phones will probably we just as good if not better than whatever iphone or android phone is out at the time. Remember its how the power is used not necessary having the most power. Just cause said phone has a faster chip, doesn't mean the phone will be faster than one with a bit lower specs. Seen this with android phones, that claim to have the best parts inside, but still don't load up or run as smoothly as other phones do.
    I think it's great and it wouldn't be like the outdated 1020 hardware. On WP 8 hmm, extremely smooth. On WP 8.1, a bit buggy. On the W10M, meh, cannot really supported the future software. I know thi is only the preview, but on the 930, it's seems to run fine.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-10-2015 03:57 AM
    Bad battery life.
    Oh really? You realize that a stronger processor will actually have to work less than a weaker processor to complete the same tasks, correct?

10-10-2015 03:17 PM
    SD810 is inefficient and generates a lot of heat. The more heat, the more battery power is wasted.
    10-10-2015 05:09 PM
    SD810 is inefficient and generates a lot of heat. The more heat, the more battery power is wasted.
    And my 1020 is the hottest device I've ever used. I can kill that battery if a few hours if i wanted. Heat doesn't prove your point, here.

Knocking the 810 for heat is cherry picking, anyways. We all know it didn't turn out as expected.

I have a feeling you're also completely ignoring some large factors. 1. Old devices used more efficient software. WP just isn't as efficient as it was, its not even close, really. 2. Less powerful devices are pushing WAY less pixels. Make an SD410 push a 1440p device and you'll see how awful the performance and battery life is. In the flip side, you take a device with an SD810 and give it a 720p display and it will last 2-3 days between charges.

Newer SoC's are nearly always more efficient. You just have to account for all the factors.

Posted via the Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/Lumia 2520
    10-10-2015 07:08 PM
    These new devices have liquid cooled CPUs. We don't know it's a problem anymore.

10-10-2015 09:35 PM
    These new devices have liquid cooled CPUs. We don't know it's a problem anymore.

This will hopefully solve the throttling issue, but won't solve the original issue, too much heat, too much leakage (increases with heat). The battery life seems equivalent to a 930 and that's not really progress :(
    10-11-2015 08:24 AM
    This will hopefully solve the throttling issue, but won't solve the original issue, too much heat, too much leakage (increases with heat). The battery life seems equivalent to a 930 and that's not really progress :(
    Sure it is. You're pushing more pixels across a larger display, a more powerful GPU and more RAM. If my truck can have more towing capacity, more horsepower and more accessories while maintaining the same fuel economy that's a win-win. Rule #1 about physics: Nature's a mother, you don't get something for nothing. That's also the reason there will NEVER be a perpetual motion machine.
    920Walker and libra89 like this.
    10-11-2015 01:20 PM
    Sure it is. You're pushing more pixels across a larger display, a more powerful GPU and more RAM. If my truck can have more towing capacity, more horsepower and more accessories while maintaining the same fuel economy that's a win-win. Rule #1 about physics: Nature's a mother, you don't get something for nothing. That's also the reason there will NEVER be a perpetual motion machine.

Right, but a larger battery and a smaller manufacturing process + increased IPC should give some improvements in battery life as well. I'm still very impressed what Apple can do with the 6s and it's "simple" dual core SoC, smaller battery, more performance = same battery life as the 6.
    10-11-2015 02:05 PM
191 ... 5678