Would you buy the new Lumia 950 XL Flagship , even if they had outdated hardware?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
To much fanboing over this and that..who really care about numbers, for god's sake. Did you ever watch terminator, or play halo..or even concider how scary technology come so far. I'm in same time thriled and scared about things like holo lens, cortana and cpus so small that can be implated in ppls hand and make invalids or war veterans walk even see if they never have a gift of sight.
I've read about head transplatation (yes, it's almost like frankestain) and 3d printers and phone you can talk to them and nlt even touch devi..oh..i just type on one of that devices and with ,,hey cortana" i feel like on edge of future...and phone is 2yrs old.
And there are people who want 820 not 810 and some of them want 850cpus..and not care about else.
Did you ever stop for a moment and think how thrining and in same time scaring ,,future" is, how today's high end tmorrow is high, next week low end..how ,,we" constantly evolve?

What's next, finger scaning and iris scani..
..oh wait?!

The reason most of us want 820 over 810 is not because of the minor upgrade, but because of the heating issue, which isn't resolved yet. 810 is a disaster. So the only option that is left is use 820. Come on, we can't use 2 year old SD 800, 801, 805 with the current flagship and optimize it to such an extent that it perform as good as current Android flagships.

SD810 & 820 are 64-bit, you never know, MS might launch a 64-bit WP10 within an year and we might be able to upgrade these flagship devices with 64-bit WP.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
EVERYBODY. relax. The phone is not even out yet. It may come with the most amazing processor ever. If not, I will rock the new phone and be 100 percent happy with its user experience because its optimized for the hardware and its going to be FREAKIN AWESOME. My 1020 is awesome now with old stuff.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes I know. I've been involved in production and manufacturing in the past. I was just trying to look at it objectively! :winktongue:

I don't think "the point of diminishing returns" applies in this case. It is commonly accepted here that WP doesn't need specs to run smoothly, unlike Android. However, this has never been proven. In fact, a recent benchmark test from Anandtech would suggest otherwise, at least in the low end. (The Lumia 640 and the Moto G in this review have the same Snapdragon 400). Are there any other benchmark reviews like this? If so, I'd like to see how they compare.

I personally think it's just an excuse from fans as to why WPs don't seem to get the latest hardware. I've never seen any explanation as to why WPs don't get the latest hardware except from fan sites such as this one. Even if WP does run well on lower hardware, it would certainly benefit from better specs.

Not quite. Optimization, in any setting, means the right hardware to do the job as efficiently as possible within the design parameters. As evidenced by the recent SD810 issues, bigger and faster isn't necessarily better. Remember Grasshopper, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Not quite. Optimization, in any setting, means the right hardware to do the job as efficiently as possible within the design parameters. As evidenced by the recent SD810 issues, bigger and faster isn't necessarily better. Remember Grasshopper, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Yup, I understand. But does that apply in this case? I don't know, and I don't think anybody else here does either. And I doubt whether optimization is the reason for delayed implementation of the latest hardware in WP devices.

And regarding the SD810, if it is proof that bigger and faster isn't necessarily better, then why is Microsoft reportedly choosing that precise SoC for the upcoming flagship? I know they're likely using a variation of the first model, but have the issues been resolved? If optimization is the reasoning behind Microsoft's choices of SoC, then why do they decide to use one with known issues? I do not know; I'm asking! :confused:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
But does that apply in this case? I don't know, and I don't think anybody else here does either. And I doubt whether optimization is the reason for delayed implementation of the latest hardware in WP devices.

I'm guessing as well. I hope and pray it's not the bean counters telling the engineers to make do with less. That mentality went away with the 80s - I hope. My guess is that the higher-spec'd processors don't provide any meaningful performance increases to justify the cost or may degrade performance through heat losses or decreased battery life. That extra nano second of a page load isn't worth the hassle. In my humble opinion.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I really don't understand the "why do you need that much power" argument... The envelope needs to be kept pushed, innovations are needed, and technology needs to advance. Sure, there's no need for cutting edge processors because our 920's run Win10 just fine! Also an 80's car runs fine, but progress is what drives everything forward. We NEED cutting edge processors, high-end everything for our flagships... If you don't need it, then just buy a value-priced phone and be happy. Leave the flagships to the people that strive for the very best.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing as well. I hope and pray it's not the bean counters telling the engineers to make do with less. That mentality went away with the 80s - I hope. My guess is that the higher-spec'd processors don't provide any meaningful performance increases to justify the cost or may degrade performance through heat losses or decreased battery life. That extra nano second of a page load isn't worth the hassle. In my humble opinion.

My guess is that it's a combination of bean counting (lower cost), availability, and time required to implement the new hardware.

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the *massive* mistake they made was not releasing this phone 6+ months ago. THere's nothing in the hardware as far as I can tell that has delayed it, but instead they wanted to time it with windows 10 - ridiculous because they could have shipped with wp8 and later upgraded. So they're now in a really awkward position of coming out with a processor that's not just a dud, but a soon-to-be-outdated dud, and paired with other old hat hardware. Other flagships with the 820 will come out early 2016, by MS will probably wait at least a year (if not more...) until they release a new flagship. At which point it'll probably be groundhog day all over again.

I understand that some people here don't care about hardware and the improvements in speed and battery life they bring, and that's cool. The rest of us want best in class hardware when we pay flagship prices. If MS is going to take a leaf out of the One+ pricing book, however, and price these a couple hundred quid less than other flagships, I take it all back.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I really don't understand the "why do you need that much power" argument... The envelope needs to be kept pushed, innovations are needed, and technology needs to advance. Sure, there's no need for cutting edge processors because our 920's run Win10 just fine! Also an 80's car runs fine, but progress is what drives everything forward. We NEED cutting edge processors, high-end everything for our flagships... If you don't need it, then just buy a value-priced phone and be happy. Leave the flagships to the people that strive for the very best.
Let me make it simple. Shareholders rule the roost. They expect dividends. Release products that deliver proper performance at an attractive price and build the brand. Samsung has set the standard with the "next big thing" ad campaign and Apple damn near invented it. As for innovation, what would Continuum be considered?

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Let me make it simple. Shareholders rule the roost. They expect dividends. Release products that deliver proper performance at an attractive price and build the brand. Samsung has set the standard with the "next big thing" ad campaign and Apple damn near invented it. As for innovation, what would Continuum be considered?

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

Continuum is not the only thing that matters. High end hardware is needed to move the next big thing around. Also, consumers are the drivers, not shareholders; look at the MS phone situation right now, and let me know what would have happened if MS have listened to the consumers instead of the shareholders.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Well Motorola just launched their new flagship, the Moto X, and guess what SoC it's packing? Yeap the "outdated" SD808. Guess I won't feel so bad about the 950 having one.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
At least the Moto came out already! By the time the MS phones come out, the Galaxy S7 is right around the corner with some kickass power. Why can't MS get ahead of the game for once?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Continuum is not the only thing that matters. High end hardware is needed to move the next big thing around. Also, consumers are the drivers, not shareholders; look at the MS phone situation right now, and let me know what would have happened if MS have listened to the consumers instead of the shareholders.

I don't know in what Utopian Society you live in but in the USA, shareholders call the shots. Not the CEOs, not the Board members and certainly not the consumer. Don't believe me? Ask George Zimmerman (The Men's Wearhouse) or Steve Jobs. Two founders who were ousted from their own companies.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
At least the Moto came out already! By the time the MS phones come out, the Galaxy S7 is right around the corner with some kickass power. Why can't MS get ahead of the game for once?

The 950/950XL will be on par with every other flagship out this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
You've totally missed the point. Yes it will be on a par with other flagships, but it's being released more than 6 months AFTER many of those flagships. Hell, it hasn't even been announced yet, who knows when it will be in store.

In this industry, being >6 months behind everyone else is seriously uncool.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The rumored LG Nexus is said to have an 808. It will probably be out around the same time, if it is released. Android folks seem fine with the 808...

I'm generally someone who wants the newest of gadgets. I just bought a phone with a SD805. I'm running Lollipop on a 1440p display, I have zero regrets.

Anyone bother to see how the 808 & 810 perform compared to our latest SD800/801? It's a nice upgrade...

Besides all that, the 1520/930 was the most up to date flagship Windows Phone has ever had. If you expected devices with an 820 or something, you set yourself up for disappointment.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The rumored LG Nexus is said to have an 808. It will probably be out around the same time, if it is released. Android folks seem fine with the 808...

I'm generally someone who wants the newest of gadgets. I just bought a phone with a SD805. I'm running Lollipop on a 1440p display, I have zero regrets.

Anyone bother to see how the 808 & 810 perform compared to our latest SD800/801? It's a nice upgrade...

Besides all that, the 1520/930 was the most up to date flagship Windows Phone has ever had. If you expected devices with an 820 or something, you set yourself up for disappointment.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Agreed, People get way to caught up in processor spec. Its important, but not THAT important. I can guarantee you that the new MS team will not let a poor performing phone into the marketplace now. the 950/xl are going to be smooth, polished and worth the wait. Now....I am just wondering if Joe was speaking of the 950/xl in his little interview or are we going to see a true surface phone released by the end of the year. Hmmmmm. interesting times. Hopefully w10 gains traction in the dev's eyes so we can finally get the apps we deserve on our phones, tablets and computers!

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
You;re right we can over-focus on processor. THe issue isn't so much 'are the specs ok for September 2015' - of course they're fine, totally run of the mill. But if MS is on a 12month+ refresh cycle, it means that they'll always be way behind the hardware curve.

THe snapdragon 820 is a big step forward - 14nm process, so less heat and better battery life compared to the 810, whatever OS is running. What's important is that MS is in the vanguard of companies adopting 14nm chips in early 2016, rather than being johnny come lately once again.

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
You're just crying to be crying. How sad.
Listen, actually you're right- sorry everyone.
It comes from a place of love - I want MS to do well, I'm a fan. But only because I want them to do magical stuff - I want their devices to be revolutionary. I get it though- MS doesn't make its own processors, so has to rely on 3rd parties. But if they want to make phone hardware, they have to invent something magical in their hardware. Not good enough just to be great 'optimised' software, or attractive 'design'. If I wanted that, i'd be an apple ******.

I get why the're using the 810. I do. But there needs to be genuine technological and amazingly new hardware somewhere else in the device. I haven't heard of that, so am starting to lose hope they'll ever deliver on the phone front.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo