Would you buy the new Lumia 950 XL Flagship , even if they had outdated hardware?

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Listen, actually you're right- sorry everyone.
It comes from a place of love - I want MS to do well, I'm a fan. But only because I want them to do magical stuff - I want their devices to be revolutionary. I get it though- MS doesn't make its own processors, so has to rely on 3rd parties. But if they want to make phone hardware, they have to invent something magical in their hardware. Not good enough just to be great 'optimised' software, or attractive 'design'. If I wanted that, i'd be an apple ******.

I get why the're using the 810. I do. But there needs to be genuine technological and amazingly new hardware somewhere else in the device. I haven't heard of that, so am starting to lose hope they'll ever deliver on the phone front.

They have only themselves to blame if the phone front fails.

I love my s6 Active, but would give it up in a heartbeat if Microsoft fixes a few things that I can't stand on the phone. This has nothing to do with the lack of apps,but just how the gui works.

Microsoft has to understand that the majority of people want the latest/ best technology inside the phone ,even if they can't afford the best flagship devices,and to lure customers into buying a Windows phone (at least here in the States ) they have to expand on getting more top notch advertising and bypassing the carriers. Plus they have to offer some type of financing which people have become accustomed to to afford the flagship phones. Bypassing the carriers like Moto is doing is a brilliant idea. No more waiting for a wanted update like we on AT&T have had, only to find out none will be coming or like what Verizon has been doing.

Microsoft is in a very unique position right now and if they snooze....they loose.

Win 10 is awesome on the desktop, having a mobile device that is just as awesome with it needs to be a priority since there's more cellphones than people on the planet now.

Instead of the trickle down theory they are using, they need to have the rush up theory in place for the cell phone industry....make the phones utterly desirable and folks will want some type of larger screen for home,be it a tablet, laptop or desktop,all running Windows 10. That is what it will take to turn everything around. Microsoft will go from last place to the front of the pack very quickly if they start doing this and quickly

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Performance and Hardware (Nokia, til now) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> specs

This is why I use Windows Phone in the first place. .

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Listen, actually you're right- sorry everyone.
It comes from a place of love - I want MS to do well, I'm a fan. But only because I want them to do magical stuff - I want their devices to be revolutionary. I get it though- MS doesn't make its own processors, so has to rely on 3rd parties. But if they want to make phone hardware, they have to invent something magical in their hardware. Not good enough just to be great 'optimised' software, or attractive 'design'. If I wanted that, i'd be an apple ******.

I get why the're using the 810. I do. But there needs to be genuine technological and amazingly new hardware somewhere else in the device. I haven't heard of that, so am starting to lose hope they'll ever deliver on the phone front.

I think your an apple ****** already. You used the word "Magical" multiple times in one post. :evil:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious what type of OLED it uses. It doesn't say AMOLED so likely it's a different variant or LG's new white oled technology in a phone. Not sure how that would workout in a phone but the battery saving potential would be pretty high.
The W-OLED display technology involves stacking sub-pixels on top of one another. In comparison, the RGB technology is more difficult to achieve, since it requires placing each pixel next to one another. In addition, the W-OLED method can directly realize a white screen through a separate white pixel, reducing electricity consumption. The RGB technology, on the other hand, needs all RGB pixels to make a white screen[/url]

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Heck I'll settle for "outdated" so long as they get all the GD features on one device. Qi, Glance, NFC, USB Type C, Iris unlock, Dual SIM, MicroSD, Band 12 LTE, ...

I think the last time we got something like that was the 1520.3

Jakub JS

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 108638

i know , everyone is waiting for the new lumia flagship , and we saw some really nice specs

but just stop and think for a minute , you know they will release those phones in the Q4 ( before or after the new year 2016 )

with the snapdragon 808 !!

so why im angry ? you know its obvious because i saw this specs before 6 months on every flagship phone from all the company's

and here our beloved Microsoft finally decided to put it in the next flagships ( yes after 4 months and maybe more ! )

so when you will see the next nexus or lg with the SD 820 , you will just look at your 500$ device with the old hardware

If this is a Q4 handset, then they should at least benefit from the SD820.

The more I think about a L950 with an SD808, the more attractive a new Nexus (with an SD820) sounds.

( and don't tell me that we don't need a high specs because we will pay a good money for it ,and add on we know that lumia flagships had some heat issue , also we know that SD 810 have some serious heat issue , so it will be a nightmare when you see a lumia with SD 810 )

If they were really smart they would wait for the SD820.

The difference is that the other smartphones which you saw 6 month ago has Android! :D
So they obviously need to change to newer hardware every 4-6 months, beacuse the OS is very bad optimized.

Now, when all the companies put a new hardware into their new smartphones, Microsoft put an "old" (come on.. it has only 6-8 months, it's not old!) hardware, because Windows Mobile don't need something faster and newer!
Why do you want a better hardware when you really don't need it? It only increase the prize of the device, nothing else.

So, I would buy a new Lumia 950 XL with outdated hardware because that hardware is enough to use it for the next few years, thanks to perfect optimization made by Microsoft. :)

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The difference is that the other smartphones which you saw 6 month ago has Android! :D
So they obviously need to change to newer hardware every 4-6 months, beacuse the OS is very bad optimized.

That's not so true, anymore. My Nexus 7 2013 with an S4 Pro runs 5.1.1 extremely well.

Android phones have the latest and greatest simply cause of competition.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Let me tell you my story. Used cell phones since late 90s. In 2011, got my first Android phone. Got into the terrible spec race and benchmark madness for years. Nothing was ever good enough.

I now realize it's about experience. ALL about experience. Currently typing this out on a BlackBerry Passport running a SD801 which works great for my needs!

My three all time favorite phones are the lumia 1520, BlackBerry Passport and HTC m8. Not because of specs but because of the experience.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Let me tell you my story. Used cell phones since late 90s. In 2011, got my first Android phone. Got into the terrible spec race and benchmark madness for years. Nothing was ever good enough.

I now realize it's about experience. ALL about experience. Currently typing this out on a BlackBerry Passport running a SD801 which works great for my needs!

My three all time favorite phones are the lumia 1520, BlackBerry Passport and HTC m8. Not because of specs but because of the experience.

Exactly. That's what I have been shouting for ages. In the same boat as you. My first cell phone was a Motorola that you see on commercials that's the full size of your head. Before that I was using a repeater phone in my vehicle. I have been through many android phones, my favorite was my GSM HTC hero. the sense UI was awesome. I loved it. Went to Samsung and regreted it all the way, the best phones were crap, and slow. Got my first windows phone in the ativ s ( the only one available on telus) to try. Had apple for 6 months and that was the biggest piece of crap ever. Had a couple of blackberry products and they were actually polished really good. Now, on my 1020, best phone I have ever used. I cannot wait to get my 950. that's going to be a great phone.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Of course the only guys who care about "Specs" are the people on these and other forums. They get all worked up and become experts as if they work for MS. Me ..... So long as the damn phone works well, looks great and let's me see a email, facebook,listen music and take a few pictures (which is why EVERYONE in the world using them for) then I'm happy, what the heck do we need a hexe core phone for? Calm down guys and enjoy life

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
, what the heck do we need a hexe core phone for?

Often, newer processor enable new features to work. More processing cores allow for core swapping to help reduce heat which can help battery life. Not to mention help background tasks. Plus, these newer processors have what big/fast cores with slower/more efficient cores for less demanding tasks. It all help battery life. Also, newer SoC always have newer GPU's, which some would argue is one of the bigger benefits.

SD808 has 2 high performance cores and 4 lower performing, efficient cores.

SD810 has 4 powerful cores and 4 power efficient cores.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
FWIW......the 808 is no slouch ,it ran fine on my G4 for games and everything else,and I would take it over the 810 truth be told. Battery life was outstanding on it with minimal tweaking too.

I don't know what if anything Microsoft will do with the 810 to optomize it, but would have liked to see the 820 in it and all the reported advancements it will be bringing. I do know that the 810 can run hot if the apps aren't optomized for it,so I sincerely hope that they have everything worked out for it.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm just hoping htc will release the let's call it HTC one m10 for now,they will surely have top specs as always and hope this comes with windows in more countries not just one network in one country, how stupid. Also depends how the 940/950 look. I like the metal edges of the 930 and would like to keep that look.

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I dont care about the flagships.. I want the mid range and upper mid range to be best.. 850 is going to be coming and i hope it has good specs.. 2gb ram with sd610

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
What's with this obsession with the 820? Since when did Windows Phone require Hardware that hasn't even been released yet on Android?

I am on an 808, which is slower than 810, and on Android it's running perfectly. Imagine on Windows Phone? Windows Phone 10 runs great on SD 800, doesn't it? So... Slap in an 805 or 808 and call it a day! Haha.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Qualcomm itself said last week that we can expect the first 820 powered devices in the first half of 2016, so no, this thing will not have it.

And, as I mentioned before, its being ANNOUNCED next month. Not released. There is a big difference. They may not release it unitl the 820 comes out. But........I doubt it. I am betting the 810 will be fine in this phone. Everyone needs to untie the knot out of their panties. And to the person who is going to android, buh bye! Good luck having a smooth experience long term there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon