Would you buy the new Lumia 950 XL Flagship , even if they had outdated hardware?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Lol if you say so? So buy your 808 and enjoy!

Posted via the Windows Central App NOT for Android

At the end of the day Snapdragon 820 is going to rule them all!

Wait for the Lumia 960 XL with S820 & Windows 10.1 Mobile around August 2016

Pick your future wisely.

Hey, if you think I'm wrong, feel free to try and prove it. Lol

Im not buying either device, so... I have no dog in this. Accuracy is just important. ;)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey, if you think I'm wrong, feel free to try and prove it. Lol

Im not buying either device, so... I have no dog in this. Accuracy is just important. ;)

Proof of the Lumia 950 XL will out perform the Lumia 950 in full reviews this coming November / December from everyone take your pick? I know that the 810 was made on very bad yields with 20nm from TSMC even AMD & NVIDIA both do not want to use it! Right now Samsung / Global foundries 14nm FinFET technology has fantastic yields, every body is onboard including Qualcomm with their new Snapdragon 820 :) all custom built, 3GHz Kryo CPU, Adreno 530 GPU, Category 12 LTE, Quick charge 3.0, Spectra ISP, Zeroth platform Ai etc etc etc is going to be fantastic and I too wish for 820 in a Lumia smartphone but unfortunately not till Win10.1 Mobile "Redstone" around August 2016 so wait? No beef...peace

PS I hate Android my opinion.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
That's not even relevant to what I was talking about. I never even mentioned the devices. You said the 808 was crap. I told you why it wasn't. You said I was wrong. I asked you to back that up. You didn't.

Simple.

I honest don't care what you think about Android, I don't know why you keep bringing it up...

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
That's not even relevant to what I was talking about. I never even mentioned the devices. You said the 808 was crap. I told you why it wasn't. You said I was wrong. I asked you to back that up. You didn't.

Simple.

I honest don't care what you think about Android, I don't know why you keep bringing it up...

I did say wait for the review AFTER official release of a product "November / December" then the reviews will provide you proof that this 808 with "950" will be faster than 810 with "950 XL" and see the product we are speaking of with this not fixed throttling/overheating you speak of? You speak as if the 810 is 99% guaranteed failure? 808 is a cut down 810 making it use less energy & heat and yes less throttling but less performance I get it! You don't believe in v2.1 that's your opinion what ever don't care. Android thing you speak of is Android user opinion on Windows forum with negative feedback about not official released products. I personally don't like the 810 and it's big.LITTLE reference design made on bad yielding TSMC 20nm crap. The 820 should of been in the 950 XL would of made more sense with New OS with New Hardware? Maybe you're right and the 950/950 XL are basically doomed? Death by throttling lol peace.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
From what I see, as more devices get the latest and greatest, the more their users feel "left out". Outdated hardware? Are you kidding me? Just 5 years ago devices would get incremental performance increases over a 2 year period and people were content with their devices. Like Stevie Wonder sang:

"I wish those days could come back once more. Why did those days ever have to go?"

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
What about Apple's out of date specs for iPhones? They are dual core with 2GB ram and expensive.

It's more to do with making sure that the hardware and software are optimised for each other and have the capability to run one or two annual updates smoothly before the hardware becomes overwhelmed by the demands of the software.

Excuse me if this has been said in an earlier post - but there are now 9+ pages and I haven't time to read every reply!

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
We know very little now about how the 820 SD chip works in the daily life of things. Same was when the 810 chip came out. In due time the overheating became apparant. Who knows what the 820 will bring in due time? Specs in theory don't always reflect real world performance.

I love my lumia 1520 to bits. Still use it as a daily driver. Can't wait to put windows 10 mobile on it in due time.

I think I wouldn't minde the 810. It will most like be a tiny bit snappier here and there compared to my 1520 (which also still performs great today). Heating issue is a concern yes, but if I understand correctly it only happens when you demand high intensive performance such as games etc. I am curious though how it will perform with continuum. That's the main worry point. Also hoping microsoft will allow more apps to run in continuum mode in due time than only office apps and mail/calendar.

Was is the 950XL that will support the stylus as well or was it going to be the "upcoming surface phone"?

Either way I'm sure with/without the 820 the 950XL is going to be a wonderful phone!

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
No. Not unless they were charging low end money. Then I'd probably buy many. Why should I spend my earned money on substandard products just because the os? Consumers have choice and thankfully they're is a lot of excellent choice out there. MSFT need to step up and compete or get out of the game. It's unacceptable to be sub par. Even BlackBerry are trying to be innovative (that name just is nuts though lol) but MSFT still roll on as they do. Unacceptable. Not in 2015. I want to see more of the os though. That's the kicker fort me, as I love the simplicity of WP. But not being able to use my banks, security system and all the other features I could take for granted - msft has a problem and they need to solve it. It's their they're in this lurch. All that said; it's not just the hardware but the whole package - iphone 6s is dual core with 2 gb team and it trampling everything in the benchmarks. It also has all the features most want. That's why they're successful and wp is stagnant. I believe that whole package is coming, the w10m os will finally let WP compete properly, with a fully featured ecosystem. Then the hardware will be secondary.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have only tonight learned quickly about this device. I so will get the 950. No XL for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
What means outdated hardware? These days, everything gets dated very fast. There's no money in the world that can keep up with constant changes and new hardware every few months. And when new hardware comes out, marketing menagers make the "old hardware" even older then it is just to make us buy new, but not that improved product. I want top notch hardware. I want Zeiss 20mpx lenses and SD 810(the one that's not overheating), but I don't want to be a test bunny for new hardware at premium price. That even more when I know that what is presented as old hardware works perfectly fine with my new flagship device. I will buy 950. XL is too big for me, so I'll go for this one.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Let's see which smartphones overheat most and perform worst Lumia 950XL (Snapdragon 810 device) or Lumia 950 (Snapdragon 808 device) from Microsoft; or Nexus 6P (Snapdragon 810 device) or Nexus 5X (Snapdragon 808 device) from Google.
Android MarshMellow vs Windows 10 Mobile devices with 808 and 810 processors.

Last edited:

leehab

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Lot of people complaining about heat issue of 810 and that is a big minus .
It all depends on the price . I have the 1520 and love the phone and the 6" .
I think as usual MSFT will make the big mistake and put a high price on these phone and after a while will discount them heavily .

I will wait to see if other manufacturers offer windows phone with better specs and SD 820 .

leehab

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
"Average Joe Schmo doesn't know one processor from the other. Specs only matter if you are looking for them."

That is nonsense . Do you even know what you are writing . Processors are the brain of any device . The faster they become the more data are processed and apps are handled smoother .
Just for fun buy a computer with i3 and i5 and see the huge difference . Even a homeless person will tell you the big difference and his preference in a flash

ThaHambone

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I do not think MS is going to be pushing these phones as "Flagship" phones nor do I believe they will command a premium price. They will label them as "premium" devices and have a modest price tag. "Premium" phones do not have to have the absolute latest and greatest.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I do not think MS is going to be pushing these phones as "Flagship" phones nor do I believe they will command a premium price. They will label them as "premium" devices and have a modest price tag. "Premium" phones do not have to have the absolute latest and greatest.

These are flagships mate. The 808/810 are the best you can get today and they are even using the 9xx series name.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs